Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Site Feedback

• 29-12-2006 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Just want to get some general feedback on whats good and whats not, the site was made live today, still more features to follow!

www.dublinnites.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Good idea for a website! Also very nice look to the site - the skin chosen/created is well suited.

A bit of a typo (well maybe not) in the 'About Us' page - stupid little thing I noticed; " For the next year and a bit Dublinnites was regualrly being updated till it got to the stage that the site needed updating." I would word it differently (whatever it was that you were trying to say!).

To be honest, that's the only fault I saw! Hope my feedback helped, it probably means nothing to you as I'm no webmaster genious.

I rated Bondi Beach Club :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Nice look but you need to add way more content which im sure ya will ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Content is being organised at the moment and will be up in the next week or two!
    Thanks for the feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Hi Adam,
    Could you not have imported all the old forum topics, posts and members from the old forum into the new forum?
    Dublinnites was setup about three weeks later with a very basic site with a simple chat forum, photos of parties and videos.

You have a few grammar errors on your homepage too.
    What's instead of Whats.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just a quickie.. It looks a lot like joomla or mambo or one of those CMS's. Not necessarily a bad thing but it doesn't gel well on the page like the original. I think that's to do with the background repeat and the sides of the page.

The background (if you insist on that, which I don't like meself - wouldn't be too bad if it was more opaque though maybe) is also not perfectly patterned. Check out the image attached. I did this by adding a slightly grey pixel bottom right and top left. This makes the pattern correct. I find the best way dealing with this type of pattern is to make a .psd with a layer of 1pixel diagonal black line and altering the opacity/colours quickly on that single line. Then you can export quickly to accomodate any overall site changes.

That, and the left and right sides could do with a one or two pixel border imo.

• Advertisement

Hi Adam,
    Could you not have imported all the old forum topics, posts and members from the old forum into the new forum?

You have a few grammar errors on your homepage too.
    What's instead of Whats.

Due to such a crap forum that was used its not possible to import old posts and yes im getting onto the grammar errors but as i said its only live yesterday and the offical launch hasn't taken place yet!
    Gordon wrote:
    Just a quickie.. It looks a lot like joomla or mambo or one of those CMS's. Not necessarily a bad thing but it doesn't gel well on the page like the original. I think that's to do with the background repeat and the sides of the page.
    Well it took two months to get this far but as i said im open to ideas on how to keep it original and crisp, im going to try fix the background tomorrow!

P.S. - This site was started from scratch, all design and graphics, just so yous know!

Thanks to all for feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Spell check site: The idea of Dublinnites originally was created one summer night back in 2004 when a group of friends withnessed a few strange events which sparked an idea in two of the girls heads which moments later lead to the name and idea being born.
    A small thing like this is unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

The background looks nice at first, but there's way too much contrast in it... I find it hard to ignore while I'm trying to read the sites content.
    It also gives me dizzy-vision when I look away... like I've been studying an optical illusion.

In relation to the disclaimer, since you said you'll be adding additional content in the next while would it be an idea to move the disclaimer to the bottom of the page or elsewhere?

I assume you're doing concerts (or concert venues) as well? How about comedy clubs? Cinemas? I know you're aiming at pub & clubs, but the name 'dublinnites' doesn't limit it to just them!

One other thing, perhaps mention how much it is in to each venue?

Just my 2c. Good luck with the site!

I've taken all your advise and put it into use, thanks, also got more of the content up and more coming, thanks again all!

• Advertisement

Oh, and how about incorporating somelike like google maps so that you can see where various restaurants/clubs are? You have the address, but if I was looking for restaurants I'd want to see where it is if I don't know.

And perhaps a "Top 10" of clubs and restaurants as per the rating?

Myth wrote:
    Oh, and how about incorporating somelike like google maps so that you can see where various restaurants/clubs are? You have the address, but if I was looking for restaurants I'd want to see where it is if I don't know.

And perhaps a "Top 10" of clubs and restaurants as per the rating?

Theres lots more on the way, just waiting till exams are over to continue with the rest! Thanks for the suggestions!

Advertisement