Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

I have read pages upon pages on this thread on doing this. It seems the goalposts have been moved over the last couple of years since this thread started. Can anyone sum up what the situation currently is with doing this. I have never had a netflix sub. It doesn't seem the FAQ's at the start of this are still exactly the case anymore.
    What are the current 1-5 in doing this to get set up? They were mentioned along the way on a couple of pages, so can someone update as things seemed to have changed.

After getting a VPN will the Revolut Card still work? Will an Irish CC/DC work? is there a difference between doing this with an existing (dormant) account or setting up a new Netflix account? Has Netflix changed in it's actions with how it views all this so as to counteract it.

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light on this.

Thanks for that detailed reply. So I should purchase a month on Netflix Ireland and then cancel it rather than go straight to Turkey to open one.
    Is it a 'shot to nothing' to try the Turkey option first?
    Do you have to give a notice period to cancel Netflix Ireland?
    Can I use an Irish CC to do either?

Many thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Worth reminding people that I had the same issue with Revolut not being a valid payment method. I outlined how I worked around it in this post.

Basically, you sign up in Ireland using Revolut, cancel immediately, pay Irish prices for one month, then once your subscription expires, the card is already associated with your account and everything works as expected when signing up for Turkish, Argentinian etc Netflix.

Does it make any difference if you use an Irish bank CC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭chrismcc409

Serbian wrote: »
    Worth reminding people that I had the same issue with Revolut not being a valid payment method. I outlined how I worked around it in this post.

Basically, you sign up in Ireland using Revolut, cancel immediately, pay Irish prices for one month, then once your subscription expires, the card is already associated with your account and everything works as expected when signing up for Turkish, Argentinian etc Netflix.

I did this after my first revolut card expired. Worked for 2 weeks then account was canceled and I was refunded. Was a brand new virtual revolut card that was only ever used for this. Not sure if its random cancellations or revolut targeted. Seems like once an account is cancelled that card is flagged for good. Have an n26 card I'll try next. Have also got a load of Turkish vouchers as had a lot of Turkish lira in my account from when it was cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Does it make any difference if you use an Irish bank CC ?

Should be fine. I signed up a friend of mine a few months ago using his Irish debit card and everything's still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Mr.S wrote: »
    Thanks for the reminder - finally remembered to jump off the Mexican Pesos plan :pac:

Worked fine for me with Revolut.

For those that don't like using Free VPN extensions - WindScribe has a Turkey server if you are premium / or you can pay $1 per month for a Turkish connection and just cancel.

I am on mexico since last year.What doi do to switch. Cancel and let Mexico expire and then sign up for turkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cynosure1023

newincity wrote: »
    The trial has expired in Ireland now. I tried to create an account yesterday and found they have stopped giving free trial now. So I ended up creating an account in Austria as they are still offering trial. I used my N26 card for it.

How u got around with mobile text confirmation? Any advise please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

How u got around with mobile text confirmation? Any advise please?

Sign up for account in Ireland, enter your Irish telephone number. Cancel immediately, it will expire 30 days later. Then use that same account in Turkey or Argentina, wherever is cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Turkish Lira has hit 6.9 for the 1st time in a year.
    Good time to top up for nextflix through revolut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭newincity

gar wrote: »
    Turkish Lira has hit 6.9 for the 1st time in a year.
    Good time to top up for nextflix through revolut

Can we pay in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Can we pay in advance?
    exchange money from your Revolut Euro account to Turkish Lira. You lock in the exchange rate. I buy 41.99 (UHD plan) * 12 of Turkish lira, roughly €65 a year and I then forget about paying for Netflix for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭newincity

exchange money from your Revolut Euro account to Turkish Lira. You lock in the exchange rate. I buy 41.99 (UHD plan) * 12 of Turkish lira, roughly €65 a year and I then forget about paying for Netflix for the year.

thanks for reply. I am using N26 account I am not sure I can keep currency in different currency on it.

thanks for reply. I am using N26 account I am not sure I can keep currency in different currency on it.

You can't

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

Very smart. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Malas noticias mis companeros Argentinos...

The Argentina price is going up from 369 to 449 at end March (22% increase)

I hope this doesn't cause their economy to collapse again....

Does using the Irish CC make a big difference to the saving? Maybe I'm wrong but there seems to be issues with the revolut card expiring and the new one causing payment issues. Am I picking this up correctly?
    Ball-park then what are we looking at per month extra for using an Irish CC, can anybody estimate?

My last payment from Revolut was €6.42 on 22nd Feb, that was 41.99 lira. If anyone has a comprable payment from Irish card on same/similar date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Does using the Irish CC make a big difference to the saving? Maybe I'm wrong but there seems to be issues with the revolut card expiring and the new one causing payment issues. Am I picking this up correctly?
    Ball-park then what are we looking at per month extra for using an Irish CC, can anybody estimate?

A few cents. Just use the Irish card and forget about it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 461 ✭✭TetraSonic55

I get charged 45 cent extra, but I don't mind that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

dulpit wrote: »
    My last payment from Revolut was €6.42 on 22nd Feb, that was 41.99 lira. If anyone has a comprable payment from Irish card on same/similar date?

12th Feb €6.43 plus a debit card charge of 46 cents for 41.99 lira.

pissed wrote: »
    12th Feb €6.43 plus a debit card charge of 46 cents for 41.99 lira.

will all depend on the exchange rates but if it's 45cent per month over a year is about €5.40~ nearly an extra month's payment so not using Revolut you're basically paying for 13 months and getting 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

will all depend on the exchange rates but if it's 45cent per month over a year is about €5.40~ nearly an extra month's payment so not using Revolut you're basically paying for 13 months and getting 12.

Not worth the hassle of revolut. Look back at all the issues on the thread in the last few month. 90%+ are somehow involving Revolut. If it works for you that’s great but in my opinion it’s not worth the risk that something will mess up down the line at some stage and potentially leave the user starting again from scratch. Your saving enough to not be too concerned over €5.40

jarvis wrote: »
    Not worth the hassle of revolut. Look back at all the issues on the thread in the last few month. 90%+ are somehow involving Revolut. If it works for you that’s great but in my opinion it’s not worth the risk that something will mess up down the line at some stage and potentially leave the user starting again from scratch. Your saving enough to not be too concerned over €5.40
    totally agree, just nice to be maximising the savings. As you've said I've not had any issues with using Revolut whatsoever so I'll continue with it until it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

jarvis wrote: »

90% of issues involve revolut. But I imagine 90% of people who are trying to financially game a system are also using Revolut. So there could very well be the exact same rate of Rev issues as non rev issues.

From the looks of it Revolut becomes an issue if it wasn't already on the account. If it doesn't work, then consider whether or not the effort you might spend trying to figure it out is worth a few euro over the course of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

AIB CC 6.51€ for the 41.99 lira package

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭coolbreeze01

I got my account sorted using the Irish account set up cancelling straight away then when the month was up signed up for Turkey which cost me €6.14 for the most expensive package :D.

Thanks for the Thread OP and all those whom helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Forgot to topup my Lira account on Revolut. Payment has failed and now my account is on 'hold'. Does anyone know if Netflix will just retry to charge the account? Used to just notify me to make sure to topup within 14 days and I could continue watching, but at the moment it's locked down so can't watch anything on it.

Tried to add a different revolut card but it doesn't let me, saying that there's an issue with the payment method.

• Advertisement

Forgot to topup my Lira account on Revolut. Payment has failed and now my account is on 'hold'. Does anyone know if Netflix will just retry to charge the account? Used to just notify me to make sure to topup within 14 days and I could continue watching, but at the moment it's locked down so can't watch anything on it.

Tried to add a different revolut card but it doesn't let me, saying that there's an issue with the payment method.

Top up your Revolut and log into Netflix on pc. You should see a banner message or similar which says there was a problem with payment, and it should allow you to retry payment, which should then go through fine.

Advertisement