Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of meditation techniques do you use?

• 07-02-2020 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

I’ve tried both guided & not guided, both just feel me with more anxiety than before. I do use a little app called headspace, I joined when they first launched so no idea if it’s subscription based or not now but I do like it as there are loads of options and I like the tone of the person talking. I also knit & weave so I do find them both meditative, probably because I’m more about the process than the product.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭thomil

For me, it's mostly guided meditation. I'm primarily using an app called Calm for that. Their sessions just seem to click for a relative newbie to the topic like me. I just like a human voice to guide me through the process, as my own mind tends to wander a lot.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I do both but I prefer guided meditations. I usually just have a look on YouTube and pick something based on the time I want to spend on it on any particular day. I don't like doing the same meditation too often as I find I go on autopilot if I know what's coming making it more likely for my mind to wander.

My favourite meditations are metta or loving kindness meditations. These are really lovely little meditations sending positive vibes to the people you have in mind. Forgiving someone who has wronged you in this way is great for your own benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I've only tried youtube guided meditations for sleep and youtube music for positive vibes. Found the music vids more irritating than relaxing. I find -> this <- to be more calming than most of the music (the white noise factor, I suppose). The guided sleep meditations don't really work for me, but -> her <- voice is soothing atleast.

I must check out metta meditaions, Headspace, and Calm for That :) ...thanks for sharing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

em_cat wrote: »

I’ve tried both guided & not guided, both just feel me with more anxiety than before. I do use a little app called headspace, I joined when they first launched so no idea if it’s subscription based or not now but I do like it as there are loads of options and I like the tone of the person talking. I also knit & weave so I do find them both meditative, probably because I’m more about the process than the product.
    Have you tried deep breathing meditation? That's more of a process too as you have to really concentrate on keeping your breathing the same so it gives you something to focus on. There are deep breathing meditations on YouTube or use Google to get some good examples.

9e92e313adf240c0dc469a96f6eeb39e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

thomil wrote: »
    For me, it's mostly guided meditation. I'm primarily using an app called Calm for that. Their sessions just seem to click for a relative newbie to the topic like me. I just like a human voice to guide me through the process, as my own mind tends to wander a lot.
    Someone posted a free one years subscription to Calm in Bargain Alerts!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058053675

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

and taking a break from online nonsense is probably one of the best relaxation techniques, ever.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm also a fan of the deep breathing, I use 4 for each part of the cycle and you can go up to 8. There are also some "Third Eye" videos on YouTube which I also find is good to centre things. You can try a brief stop which you can do almost anywhere, about a minute or so where you just close your eyes (or not), block out everything around you and just focus on your breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lucalux

I sometimes use a little visual like this for timed breathing. Helps me to focus if my head's bouncing all over the shop.

Also +1 for Calm app, as Guy Person linked above there's a free year's subscription linked by a kind boardsie so I'm hoping that'll get me back into using it more. I found it really helpful in the past, not just for meditation, but for getting to sleep too

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SaintPat

Wim Hof teaches breathing and meditation techniques to boost your immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kenz

I practice all sorts of meditation, depending on where I am, what I'm doing or what mood I'm in. But, I've always loved candle meditation... beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

My sleep is woeful at the moment, I had wave sounds going for a few hours during the night, worked very well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Dublin Buddhist Centre are running a free five week introduction to meditation course starting at 10:30am in the morning (Thursday). It may be of interest to some more seasoned meditators as well or if your just looking for something to do in lockdown. Its an online course delivered via zoom.

https://dublinbuddhistcentre.org/events/free-online-mindfulness-and-loving-kindness-meditation-course-april-2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shadowmouse

I find self-observation to be most effective. Just taking a position of observer and calmly viewing all events arising in my mind: "this is a thought", "this is a wish", "this is a pleasant sensation", "this is something unpleasant", etc. At times I may discern further - "what caused that thought?", "why I am feeling this emotion?", but as soon as I get an answer I tend to go back to the observing position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 figleaf25

What's the best time of day? I'm pretty good At practicing mindfulness and being in "the moment" and silencing thought during action, but during actual "sitting" sessions I don't know when the best part of the day is. Upon waking? After work? Mid day is not feasible because of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Angrybastard

I found meditations by Tara Brach online.

It's very gentle and wise.

Advertisement