Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Armstrong Cup 2017/2018

• 15-09-2017 1:05pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭

All relevant discussions here thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Gonzaga 5.5 Curragh 2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

Rathmines 3 Balbriggan 5

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

St Benildus A 6.5-1.5 St Benildus B

L1m1tless wrote: »
    Gonzaga 5.5 Curragh 2.5
    That's quite a good result. I see also Dun Laoghaire beat Trinity 6-2. Are we in for a more competitive Armstrong than in recent years?

Perhaps not, Gonzaga were missing some of their big players against us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

cdeb wrote: »
    That's quite a good result. I see also Dun Laoghaire beat Trinity 6-2. Are we in for a more competitive Armstrong than in recent years?

So far as I can tell, the Trinity captain forgot to request the customary postponement of our round one matches (because term has not started). Consequently they didn't have enough players. I was told the match was on about noon - far too little notice.

I gather there were four draws; whether there was actually any play on the lower boards I cannot say. Maybe a Dun Laoghaire player can clarify.

Trinity's next match is against Gonzaga. If Gonzaga win you can count Trinity out as contenders for this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

Dublin 3 Elm Mount 5

St Benildus B 3-5 Bray/Greystones.

We're already 1.5 points behind where we were after the same two games two years ago; playing ok and with a weaker squad, but already fairly clear we'll be struggling to match our haul from two years ago.

Trinity 2-6 Gonzaga on the ICU ticker. So that's Trinity almost out of it already, with 4 points from their first two matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Trinity 2-6 Gonzaga on the ICU ticker. So that's Trinity almost out of it already, with 4 points from their first two matches.
    While their first round result was disasterous, the most anyone took off Gonzaga last year was 3 points, so Trinity have hardly lost much ground there.

True - but I guess 7.5 points behind Gonzaga after two rounds, having already played them, is almost already too much to allow them mount a challenge for the league I think. They really needed to at least draw with them to keep a title challenge alive. And Trinity would be one of the few clubs who could have genuine hopes of at least challenging for the Armstrong.

(Also, Trinity got 3.5 off Gonzaga in the final round last year; presumably you missed that one at the bottom)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I had assumed you were talking about the fight for second place!

Ha! No. It's still early in the season yet; we should at least pretend that a title challenge can be mounted, or that a B team can stay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

Round 2
    Elm Mount 6.5 - 1.5 Dun Laoighaire

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

Curragh 3.5 Rathmines 4.5

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

Kilkenny 4- Dublin 4 Round 2

Danville wrote: »
    Kilkenny 4- Dublin 4 Round 2

It looks like these two and Elm Mount will be the challengers to Gonzaga this season.

League result updates are very slow so far :-(

R2 Balbriggan - St.Benildus ? Anybody?

Partly postponed due to the European Cup.   5 boards played; no-one in Turkey knows what the score was anyway.

Round 3: Gonzaga 3.5 - 0.5 Elm Mount. 4 games postponed because of the European Club Cup in Turkey

• Advertisement

Dublin 7-1 St Benildus B

Balbriggan 6.5 Curragh 1.5

St Benildus A 5-3 Balbriggan
    St Benildus A 5-3 Bray/Greystones

Round 3: Gonzaga 6-2 Elm Mount

St Benildus B 3½-4½ Dún Laoghaire

Curragh v Trinity in the Armstrong is live on chessspectator.com at the moment

The scoreboard says 3-3, but I think it's 4-2 to Trinity - it seems to be counting all the whites as the same team. Certainly it looks like Curragh lost both 1 and 8.

Two games in play, with edges to Trinity in both I think.

Curragh's live streaming seems to have fewer glitches as they've gotten used to it; fair play to them for it.

Perhaps TCD defaulted on board 8 ?

No, the board by itself at the top is the other board.

Score now showing as 4-3 to Curragh, with one in play.

The scoresheet is a bit strange because the top boards start off by alternating Curragh and Trinity players as white - and Trinity are white on 1 - but then the last four boards all have Curragh as "white".

I think the score is actually 4-3 to Trinity, who have lost on 8, won on 1 and 7, and drawn the rest. They're a pawn down on the final board, but look to have a nice position for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭bduffy

No, the board by itself at the top is the other board.

Score now showing as 4-3 to Curragh, with one in play.

The scoresheet is a bit strange because the top boards start off by alternating Curragh and Trinity players as white - and Trinity are white on 1 - but then the last four boards all have Curragh as "white".

I think the score is actually 4-3 to Trinity, who have lost on 8, won on 1 and 7, and drawn the rest. They're a pawn down on the final board, but look to have a nice position for it.

Trinity 5 - 3 Curragh

• Advertisement

bduffy wrote: »
    Trinity 5 - 3 Curragh

Correct; we won 5-3. I just got home and took a look at their website. I won and so did Ioana and (with a few seconds to spare) Jacob, while Anastasia lost after putting up a good fight when coming in as a late sub.

Jacob's game and mine are truncated by several moves. Possibly one or two of the others also. Ioana's game seems to be complete. A lot of the names of the Trinity players are scrambled.

Apparently Curragh club's clocks, though digital, do not support increments (at least that is what they said) so we had to play the flat 2-hour time limit. A couple of our players were very unhappy about this.

Jacob risked losing on time because of the absence of increment, though, to be fair, his opponent (a rook down) did resign (after making an illegal move) rather than make Jacob complete the game with his last 30 seconds of which a couple had been wasted by the illegality.

The current wording of league rule 7.4a allows exceptions to the Fischer mode "if the home team does not have digital clocks" but doesn't say anything about digital clocks that don't support Fischer mode.
    So either the rule needs rewriting for next season or the clubs that cannot support Fischer mode will have to buy new clocks for next season?

Advertisement