Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bodley 2013/14

• 27-09-2013 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭

From the LCU website:
    Bodley Cup Entries
    26-Sep-2013 The closing date for entry into the Bodley Cup (Div 6) is Friday 4th October. Clubs who have not already confirmed their entry with the Leagues Controller, should do so immediately.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Fixtures starting the week of the 21st of October, maybe even the week before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Airbender

This is an early start. I remember it used to be the second week of November...

Yeah, it's been that way the past few years alright. But it gave rise to a huge fixture congestion, typically in January, which was busy enough with the Leinster Junior Championships anyway, so this is better, I think.

Talk of maybe 20 teams in it this year.

Of course, it is better.

20 teams is a lot... probably two groups of ten... this means each will play 18 matches, if I am not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Airbender wrote: »
    Of course, it is better.

20 teams is a lot... probably two groups of ten... this means each will play 18 matches, if I am not mistaken.

9 games is more likely I'd imagine. 18 would be overkill.

• Advertisement

Let's hope it will be 9. :)

Also, apparently the one-hour league won't be coming in this season; it would have been convenient to have a 90 minute Bodley A and a 60 minute Bodley B division. But there may be mass relegation this season to form an O'Sullivan for next year (so if there's two groups of ten, you could relegate the bottom four in each division to division 7 for next season). An extra division is the next logical step for the game, I think.

If this is the case, I hope the LCU won't forget to inform us well in advance about the number of teams to be relegated from the Bodley.

The teams competing in the Bodley Cup will probably be announced next week. I still believe we'll have about 18 teams in this league rather than twenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah, but that's more a firm 18 with lots of subs (it could very easily have been a tenuous 20 without much sub cover). Seems like a healthy enough pool...

• Advertisement

It does, indeed. Actually, having subs saves teams from defaulting. :)

True :D, but not quite what I meant - which was that rather than enter (say) three teams with barely enough subs to get by in case of emergencies or unforeseen problems, you're entering two teams with a nice big healthy pool of subs for each. If anything, we might be right on the balance point between those two scenarios. All of which is A Good Thing(tm)...

Fixtures are now up on the Leinster Chess site for Bodley A and Bodley B. The pages for the player pools and results are up too but unpopulated yet.

First match is October 23, with the Blanchardstown away team playing Bray/Greystones.

Mmm there's no team declaration pages for the Bodley Cup A and B on the LCU website. How are the captains going to declare the teams? If the first match is on 23/10, these pages must be created urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Mmm there's no team declaration pages for the Bodley Cup A and B on the LCU website. How are the captains going to declare the teams? If the first match is on 23/10, these pages must be created urgently.
    You don't declare a team for the bottom division.

Bray/Greystones have pulled out of group A. Fixtures to be redrawn tonight.

mikhail wrote: »
    You don't declare a team for the bottom division

Didn't know that. Does this mean that the captains will be able to use any players from their club, without submitting not only a Team Declaration but also a Player Declaration?

Scorecards for the first match in the Bodley also don't seem to be available...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Didn't know that. Does this mean that the captains will be able to use any players from their club, without submitting not only a Team Declaration but also a Player Declaration?
    They can use any player from their club providing:
    • They haven't played for another club.
    • They haven't been declared on a team in a higher division
    • They haven't played 4 times in higher divisions.
    • There are no players on a higher division team who are more than 150 points lower rated (Under 1200s all count as 1200 for this calculation.)
    Also, clubs with more than one team in the bottom division can't have players move between those teams.
    I presume they'll be up in time - there's a couple of weeks to go.

Thanks for that. I'll forward it to our Bodley team captain.

mikhail wrote: »
    Bray/Greystones have pulled out of group A. Fixtures to be redrawn tonight.

The new fixtures are now up for the Bodley A and Bodley B on the LeinsterChess.com website.

cdeb wrote: »
    We (St. Benildus) would have to expect to fall short of both Gonzaga and Wicklow (who are, as you say, an Ennis team)

In the Bodley Cup, only the division winners get promoted, I assume, to keep the two-up-two-down going. So second place is no good.

We do need the bottom four in each Bodley to be relegated to form a Division 7 next year; the teams are there for it now and I think it'd be beneficial. It'd give more to play for in the Bodley for starters, and there's a decent gap between the top and the bottom teams in the Bodley; a Division 7 would make for more closely-matched games.

I agree; there should be no more than 12 teams in the Bodley, so two teams get promoted. This year it is just one team that gets promoted from each subdivision, Bodley A and Bodley B.

• Advertisement

EnPassant wrote: »
    I would have assumed that the top two in each section would play-off for the two promotion places. I think that was how it used to work previously when divisions had north and south sections.

Presumably this will be announced well in advance.

Last year four teams got promoted from the Bodley, this year there will be only two. What you suggest makes perfect sense. Otherwise Wicklow and Gonzaga are as good as promoted, and the other teams will have absolutely nothing to play for.

Bodley Cup A and B team declaration pages are now available on the LCU website, although they don't seem to be working at the moment.

An update: team declaration pages are now working properly, so the Bodley captains can declare their teams.

Bodley Cup B:

Inchicore 1.5 - Rathmines 3.5

A short write-up about the match on the Inchicore Chess Club website: http://www.inchicorechess.net/forum/8-competition/695-bodley-cup-rd-1-inchicore-15--35-rathmines#695

Drogheda 3-2 St Benildus B

Drogheda have sourced a new team in the past few months; they had quite a strong side and while they mightn't be able to match Gonzaga over the season, they'll be definitely up the top of the table. We have to be quite pleased with taking two points in games where we were 500 or so points outrated. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Curragh B 3.5 Blanchardstown 1.5

Writeup on the Drogheda-v-Benildus Bodley match on the Benildus website:
    Bodley B start with narrow defeat

Leaving Cert commitments and gaps on higher teams have made for a new-look Bodley B this season, but after their first outing, there’s every chance they can emulate the impressive performances of the last two Bodley B teams.

There was a bit of a surprise in store when Drogheda declared a team ranging from 947 up to 1227; an average of over 1100 compared to ours of just under 700 pointed to an expected score of a half. When, after an hour, nobody was in any particular trouble over the board, let alone actually finished, expectations started to rise!

An hour later, things were still looking good ...continues

And the view from the other side of the boards on the Drogheda website (you have to like being able to see both sides of a game like this :) ):
    Bodley off to flyer

A little piece of club history took place on Saturday last as our 3rd team made their debut in the Leinster League Bodley Division. It was a great start as they beat St. Benildus 3-2 in the Boyne Valley. Paul McDonnell made his own piece of history when he was the first to win with a nice smothered mate in the corner. The game had ebbed and flowed and in fact he looked in trouble at one stage. His opponent was on the front foot and may have won a pawn or two before Paul launched his own attack. However once he got the two rooks on the 7th rank he was in command. Captain Nick Rottiers followed soon afterwards...continues

Interesting to see what we mutually missed. I didn't know their board 1 sacced a piece; I assumed we'd won it as we had the pawn. And they don't (yet!) know that their board 2 fixed our player's pawns, basically paving the way to victory for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Gonzaga 5-0 Portmarnock

• Advertisement

Well there's a shock!

Malahide beat Skerries 3½-1½ in round 2, so the table at the moment is -
    [B]Team	        MP	GW	GD	GL	Pts[/B]
    Malahide	2	5	2	3	6    
    Gonzaga	        1	5	0	0	5    
    Curragh B	1	3	1	1	3 1/2
    Skerries	2	3	1	6	3 1/2
    Drogheda	1	3	0	2	3