Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What First Years Should Know - DCU

• 17-08-2016 4:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I will be starting college in DCU this September studying business.

I'm wondering what are some of the best and worst aspects of DCU?

Also what are some simple but useless tips DCU students should know? From the best place to hang out, get food, nicest restrooms, etc. Just generic things.

Feel free to post anything else about DCU that you want to!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

College doesn't give a **** about your social life.
    It will put on events for you to make friends, so you stay there. But every year first years come up with a weird movie-driven idea of college being a party time, where you are supposed to get wasted constantly.

Do that all you want. but don't expect university to help you do it. They are an educational institution, they expect you to study do assignments, and go to lectures, and pass exams. That's your responsibility to manage.
    Every year bad things happen to students(in every college) who were reckless. At best, its fined for noise on campus accommodation, or exam repeats. At worst its being carried away in ambulances due to alcohol poisoning(seen that happen) or some seriously creepy predatory sexual behaviour that can ruin the college experience for the victim, and get the perpetrator in serious trouble with the police (I know of that happening too).

Sorry to be such a downer but its serious stuff to keep in mind.

Join societies and be active in them. DCU has amazing Socs with great funding. Join the ones that genuinely interest you, or something crazy you want to learn, like caving , or circus skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭AKeenan348

Brovile wrote: »
    I will be starting college in DCU this September studying business.

I'm wondering what are some of the best and worst aspects of DCU?

Also what are some simple but useless tips DCU students should know? From the best place to hang out, get food, nicest restrooms, etc. Just generic things.

Feel free to post anything else about DCU that you want to!

Hi,

DCU is a great college. Going into my second year and had a ball last year. But yeah, college is serious work and it's all independent learning. Meaning you can't go the lecturers all the time to look at your work, and you have to go to lectures, do the work and the readings and hand in the best assignment you can and hope for the best. You cant hand in drafts of assignments either. The college is really big on plagiarism. Cardinal sin of college. You'll get plenty of lectures on that too.

I'm not doing business, but I know plenty who are, as there's some modules that will cross over into areas you wouldn't think of and its a very study intensive course. Loads of exams. Aim to pass, and don't put yourself under too much pressure to get 1:1's. Time management is really important for most of the courses as well.

Nubar is the college bar, and there's a café in the Helix. The Slipper across the road from campus is nice too. The restaurant in the nursing building is lovely, but the main canteen has a lot more choices for cuisines, although it can be a zoo at peak hours. Free tea and coffee in the Interfaith Centre.

Big tip: if you travel by public transport, get your student travel card early. Registration/orientation for first years happens in all one week, and the queue's for the SU office are crazy, as you get them in there. Collect a form on your first day and have it filled out and collect it any day after you get your college ID. Make sure you're on the queue by 9:00am, or else you're there for the day. Or you can wait a few months till they die down.

Big tip: don't lose your welcome letter, as on the back you'll get your college email and password and some other essentials, as you need them for things like registering for modules, changing modules, changing course and fees.

The restrooms in the nursing building and upstairs in the business building are alright. The ones in the Hub and the Library are kinda funky. and not in a good way.

Loads of choices for clubs and socs. But don't join too many, as you won't have the time and most are €4 to join.

OK, hope you have a great year and welcome to DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,331 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What part of DCU campus is The Helix at, what city centre bus takes you nearest?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KyCoo

Thank you. very useful.

Advertisement