Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**DCU accommodation 2016/2017**

• 18-08-2015 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

New megathread for the 2016/17 academic year. This thread is for all accommodation queries and posts related to either on-campus or off-campus accommodation.

If you have a room available for rent, feel free to advertise it here.

Remember! No phone numbers or e-mails to be posted on this thread. If you want to contact a poster, do it by PM please!

Here are some tips for finding a house to rent in Dublin. Good areas to look for accommodation for DCU are Drumcondra, Glasnevin, Phibsborough and Santry. All are relatively close walking/biking/public transport distance to DCU.

1. Start browsing daft.ie etc. as soon as possible. There's a shortage of decent, affordable rental properties in Dublin at the moment so you've got to be on the ball. You can search for rooms in a house or you can search for a whole house if you join up with a few people to find a place.

2. Never ever accept a room/house from online browsing only. If you don't live in Dublin, you're going to have to come up and look at places. There's really no way around this. Book a hostel in Dublin as soon as you get your offer and then start ringing and e-mailing places. Because competition is so tough, most won't give you a viewing time until the day before or day of the viewing so there's no point ringing a week in advance. Set up as many viewings as possible for the 2 days you'll be around Dublin. You've got to be persistent here and keep ringing and keep browsing online, even while you're waiting in between viewings! If you know someone who has a car this will be a HUGE help as it will let you fit many more viewings in the day than bussing or walking.

3. Bring enough money for a deposit with you. Borrow from your parents if you need it, but have it in your pocket. Again, this is because of the competition at the moment. If there are several people viewing a property at once, the landlord might be more likely to sign up the person who has a deposit on hand rather than someone who won't have it for another week (and could potentially fall through in the meantime). It's all about making the landlord's life easy to get in somewhere!

4. Be prepared to settle, to a certain degree. It is really, really, really hard to find somewhere that is 'perfect'. There'll always be something not 'right' about the properties you look at so it's a good idea to think beforehand about what you're willing to settle on. Are you willing to pay a slightly higher rent for a better location or newer/bigger house? Maybe you don't mind having a longer commute in the morning if it's cheap? Maybe you're not that bothered about a small room as long as the location and price are decent? Whatever it is, think about it before hand. It'll help you rule out what properties you definitely won't be happy in, and what ones might not be perfect but will work as a place to live for 9 months to a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 collegegoer

Hoping to start in Pats in September and have applied for on campus there any idea on my chances of getting on campus I'm a lad or should i start looking for alternative accomodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ecudden

I'm an incoming Accountancy and Finance student who received 560 points in my leaving cert. I'm not someone who's going to throw mad parties every night of the week but at the same time I'm not dry. Was wondering if anyone knows anywhere that's potentially an option for accommodation or does anyone have a spare room or anything along those lines. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 murtagl8

Double Bedroom to rent in lovely area, 2 mins from St Pat's college. €600 monthly includes all bills- Esb, gas, wifi
    And also breakfast and dinner are included.
    Really Friendly family household close to all Amenities.

Advertisement