Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

What's the delay?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Neither of the two lads have arrived yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

xtal191 wrote: »
    Wish people would stop going on and on about if this was a "real fight" Conor would kill him, its a ****ing boxing match get over it!

It's 100% relevant mentally *this week*.

Saying otherwise is foolish in my opinion. This is the first guy (ever) Floyd can look in the eye and say "I'll fight you right here, right now" and be laughed at.

That exact thing just happened the other night and it's not good for an egomaniac, alpha male like Floyd.

Will it matter August 26th? Probably not, no but... it might prompt him to get aggressive to try KO Conor early.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

As regards the undercard:

Showtime boss Stephen Espinoza has said they considered doing more MMA-boxing match-ups but in the end decided against it.

"We’re looking at Gervonta Davis defending his IBF super-featherweight title, Savannah Marshall making her professional debut, and possibly Badou Jack taking on WBA light-heavyweight world champ Nathan Cleverly."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

It's 100% relevant mentally *this week*.

Saying otherwise is foolish in my opinion. This is the first guy (ever) Floyd can look in the eye and say "I'll fight you right here, right now" and be laughed at.

That exact thing just happened the other night and it's not good for an egomaniac, alpha male like Floyd.

Will it matter August 26th? Probably not, no but... it might prompt him to get aggressive to try KO Conor early.

Yeah but theres massive contract clauses stopping as much as a push so its completely irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

xtal191 wrote: »
    Wish people would stop going on and on about if this was a "real fight" Conor would kill him, its a ****ing boxing match get over it!

Boxing is as real a fight as you can get

Try standing and trading with someone for a few rounds...it soon becomes clear

The most that people spouting that crap have traded is probably their Pokemon Cards as kids

That's not an opinion...that's a imaginary depiction of the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

No conlon/Taylor then? Are they with other promotions? 4 seems like a quick night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I think they were always overcooking the goose with 4 nights in a row

No big brown breakdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Maaaan, forgot how ****ed Conor looked at the Siver weigh in.

• Advertisement

• Ah taking the piss with the hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

What time brock fighting :)

**** this having me waiting again but i will like a fool sit and wait

Leonard in full chat mode live backstage right now I'd say we'd be lucky if this started at 1. Think I'm gonna call it a night.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Leonard in full chat mode live backstage right now I'd say we'd be lucky if this started at 1. Think I'm gonna call it a night.

Who you kiddin

• Registered Users Posts: 49 livelife

What's the story with the ticket sales, is it ticketmaster?

D.Q wrote: »
    No big brown breakdown?

We can only dream

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yeah but theres massive contract clauses stopping as much as a push so its completely irrelevant.

Not irrelevant if your opponent laughs in your face because he could easily ankle pick you in a heartbeat and drill your skull through the floor with an elbow.

It's irrelevant if they know they won't get into a scrap up on the stage. What matters is Floyd was the one starting it with the "I'll fight you right now" and Conor was the one in stitches laughing in his face.

That's alpha-male playground-stuff 101. It's like being punked in front of your girlfriend while trying to act hard. It can sting the ego to be laughed at like that and can easily make Floyd want to put him unconscious on fight night.

#ArmchairPsychology come on ... :)

D.Q wrote: »
    Who you kiddin

I'm wrecked man, waiting for these 2, I feel like an eejit as Floyd would say. I'll give em til half :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

Axwell wrote: »
    ye and there's that pic of conor with a stripper floyd could use and Dee. these guys will go anywhere me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

Axwell wrote: »

Dunno if I would take that as gospel?

But I think bringing it up would cross a line, not necessarily that Floyd would be too upset but I think it could turn the crowd on him. Joe and Jane 6-pack might find it tasteless.

It would be bad for brand McGregor, in my expert opinion. Although I have an extensive track record in being wrong on most things.

Not irrelevant if your opponent laughs in your face because he could easily ankle pick you in a heartbeat and drill your skull through the floor with an elbow.

It's irrelevant if they know they won't get into a scrap up on the stage. What matters is Floyd was the one starting it with the "I'll fight you right now" and Conor was the one in stitches laughing in his face.

That's alpha-male playground-stuff 101. It's like being punked in front of your girlfriend while trying to act hard. It can sting the ego to be laughed at like that and can easily make Floyd want to put him unconscious on fight night.

#ArmchairPsychology come on ... :)

You've swallowed the kool aid whole, they are loving the face offs pair of them wont lay a finger on each I thought they'd allow a push or two but the contract must have zero psychical contact written into it.

Gamebred wrote: »
    You've swallowed the kool aid whole, they are loving the face offs pair of them wont lay a finger on each I thought they'd allow a push or two but the contract must have zero psychical contact written into it.

I know they won't touch each other.

It's the knowledge that if they did, Conor would mangle him. Floyd is not used to that. With every other opponent if he said "i'll fight you right now", then he'd confident of slapping the head off them.

Not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭xtal191

Lads still aren't in the building and they are due to talk to media separately before the show. Have a good night lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

This is the first boxing match in Floyd's career where he knows his opponent would rip his head off in an unarmed fight.

It might count for nothing in a boxing ring but bear it in mind as the week unfolds because I expect Conor to ramp up that angle of attack.

Travis Browne would rip Mcgregors head off in a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

yep im out. Cant see the action starting until 01:30 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

pone2012 wrote: »
    Boxing is as real a fight as you can get

Try standing and trading with someone for a few rounds...it soon becomes clear

The most that people spouting that crap have traded is probably their Pokemon Cards as kids

That's not an opinion...that's a imaginary depiction of the situation

Gene Lebell Vs. Milo Savage
    Ali Vs. Inoki
    Gracie Vs. Jimmerson
    Randy Couture Vs. James Toney

• Advertisement

Django99 wrote: »
    Travis Browne would rip Mcgregors head off in a fight.

Travis Browne couldn't open a can of beans at the moment he's a completely shot fighter :pac: No idea what the relevance of that is anyway because Floyd is fighting Conor not Travis.

The simple concept I'm getting at is fighters are alpha-males and Floyd has a big ego. Boxers like Floyd for a long time thought they were the *hardest* guys around.

Floyd can't intimidate Conor like he could other fighters, in any setting other than a boxing ring under boxing rules on August 26th because until then, he's the first opponent he knows he can't beat in a regular fight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement