Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Glade87 wrote: »
    Interim title??? Really? I feel they should have made the Diaz fight... Mendes is a boring fighter and he has clearly stated his intentions... Put McGregor on his back (which he will succeed in doing) and keep him there... FOR 5 ROUNDS.

Diaz had his chance to be on this card against Matt Brown and bailed on it. Why should he suddenly be given Conor at lightweight?

The interim title is a bit of a nonsense but they have to appease travelling fans who were scheduled to see a 5 round fight.

As someone travelling over, I'm happy that it's a potential 5 rounder. I do think it's a bit mental having an interim title headline over an actual title being contested at welterweight.

But that's the UFC. It's their job to sell fights/fighters. Conor's done most of the leg work in promoting the previous fight. They've got lucky in that there was the makings of a beef in the undercurrent with Mendes so we go again with the thrash talking etc.

As for Mendes being a boring fighter, I can't honestly see why you're saying that. He was involved in an absolute dog fight with Aldo in their second fight and blitzed Lamas in April.

I don't think it's as exciting as Aldo/McGregor but it will hopefully silence the doubters who say he hasn't fought a wrestler.

The build up is hard to get into right now but come fight night, I'll be yelling my lungs out.

• Is Mcgregor fight still happening after Lawler v Macdonald surely the real title fight in a heavier division should go last?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The majority of people watching this will be to either watch Conor win or lose. He's the main draw so gets the main slot. UFC rewards those that makes them money and rightfully so.

That cryo chamber thing Chad went into in latest Embedded looked crazy. Was that top help with the weight cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Is Mcgregor fight still happening after Lawler v Macdonald surely the real title fight in a heavier division should go last?

Why should a heavier one go last? Its usually the case but that because fans are generally more interested in the heavier fighters, not so in this case

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

sheehy83 wrote: »
    That cryo chamber thing Chad went into in latest Embedded looked crazy. Was that top help with the weight cut?

Don't think so.

As far as i know it helps you in post workout recovery, it's just an extreme ice bath after a workout.

The Irish rugby team used to do it and the Welsh team still do it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Yeah its just for recovery, when youre in it all the blood rushes to your internal organs and then when you return to normal temperature all the blood rushes to your extremities, supposed to work wonders for recovery of small injuries.

• Beersmith wrote: »
    Why should a heavier one go last? Its usually the case but that because fans are generally more interested in the heavier fighters, not so in this case

Cause its for a real belt and not an interm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

A good chunk of the reason for the interim belt is to keep macgregor in a title fight and therefor headlining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Fair enough but you shouldn't have specified "heavier" in that case.

I agree btw that 99% the heavier weight classes get top billing, but as pointed out, it's because there's usually more interest. Not in this case. Conor/Mendes is the main event.

Aldo is still obviously the champion, I don't think anyone will really argue that bar Conor/Chad, and the winner will have to face him next anyway. Not a big deal.

• moneyman wrote: »
    Fair enough but you shouldn't have specified "heavier" in that case.

I agree btw that 99% the heavier weight classes get top billing, but as pointed out, it's because there's usually more interest. Not in this case. Conor/Mendes is the main event.

Aldo is still obviously the champion, I don't think anyone will really argue that bar Conor/Chad, and the winner will have to face him next anyway. Not a big deal.

No I know the majority of people have more interest in the Conor fight but I thought it would be the second last fight now cause its now for the interm belt in a lighter division. Can't wait though 1 week from today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Yeah id agree with you about the interim v real part but i was talking about the weight class not being a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

No I know the majority of people have more interest in the Conor fight but I thought it would be the second last fight now cause its now for the interm belt in a lighter division. Can't wait though 1 week from today :D

Interim belt is just a way to make Conor main event because that's what 99% of fans want, everyone knows Aldo is the real champion though. Can't wait also, extremely nervous. Mendes is a beast, I'm back and fourth on who I think will win. I think Conor is too big and his striking too precise, I think he can hurt Mendes. And his belief is unshakeable. But I wouldn't be surprised with either outcome. Let's hope Conor does it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

It's difficult to judge who has a harder punch unless you're on the receiving end of a few anyway. It's all about connection/accuracy. A fairly weak puch on the chin could put you asleep, a haymaker to the jaw might not budge you.

Its deceptive when someones movement is very fluid and efficient. Consider a golf example. You will often hear amateurs telling other golfers to swing easy like Ernie Els. They only think Ernie swings easy. He actually swings the club very fast, up to 120mph but he is so efficient he looks like he is swinging very slow. I think conor is like that. Very efficient and fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Depp wrote: »
    Yeah its just for recovery, when youre in it all the blood rushes to your internal organs and then when you return to normal temperature all the blood rushes to your extremities, supposed to work wonders for recovery of small injuries.

OH MY GOD CHAD MENDES IS INJURIED???? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'd say mcgregor has worked on nothing but his wrestling defence and getting back to his feet since he heard also was out. 2 weeks of that will sharpen him up. Pity he hadn't a whole camp to prepare for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

For anyone who hasn't ordered 189, Setanta will have an offer of some sort between Monday and Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Lads chill

Conor has this

Mini won't get near.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Lads chill

Conor has this

Mini won't get near.

wow
    so analysis
    much insight

• bur wrote: »
    wow
    so analysis
    much insight

Yeah I honestly thing anyone who says something like "Conor will do this easily" or "Mendes will run through him" are talking poo. Mendes is insanely talented and Conor has the potential maybe to be the champion but he is untested really at this level. He might come in against Mendes and knock him out or He might get submitted, no one really knows how good Conors takedown defense/ wrestling is at the minute and how it will fare against Mendes.

I honestly think anyone who says one particular person in this fight will definitely win is wrong, this fight is wide open. Anyone can win imo

Yeah I honestly thing anyone who says something like "Conor will do this easily" or "Mendes will run through him" are talking poo. Mendes is insanely talented and Conor has the potential maybe to be the champion but he is untested really at this level. He might come in against Mendes and knock him out or He might get submitted, no one really knows how good Conors takedown defense/ wrestling is at the minute and how it will fare against Mendes.

I honestly think anyone who says one particular person in this fight will definitely win is wrong, this fight is wide open. Anyone can win imo
    Yeah it was half tongue in cheek mate.

It will be a great fight but just like I argued here last night with someone who quoted Mendes is the hardest hitter in the division although conor hits as hard, I no longer believe there is a serious discussion to be had.

Roll on the fight.

• Advertisement

bur wrote: »
    wow
    so analysis
    much insight

Any insight yourself?

• I know this is slightly off topic but why didn't Paddy Holohan try get on this card? He came off a win in his last fight. Would have been class to have him or Duffy on it. I know Cathal got on the card but even that was a last minute thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 welchywelch

JustTheOne wrote:
    It will be a great fight but just like I argued here last night with someone who quoted Mendes is the hardest hitter in the division although conor hits as hard, I no longer believe there is a serious discussion to be had.

You didn't really discuss anything last night you just picked on an obvious typo!
    Tell us why you think Conor will win, How and when. I have Mendes backed to win by TKO. Hope Conor wins though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I know this is slightly off topic but why didn't Paddy Holohan try get on this card? He came off a win in his last fight. Would have been class to have him or Duffy on it. I know Cathal got on the card but even that was a last minute thing.

He's fighting on the 18th in Glasgow. As is joe duffy

• John_D80 wrote: »
    He's fighting on the 18th in Glasgow. As is joe duffy

Sweet, I didn't even look at that card yet. On here and Sherdog for the past month all anyone talks about is Conor :P

You didn't really discuss anything last night you just picked on an obvious typo!
    Tell us why you think Conor will win, How and when. I have Mendes backed to win by TKO. Hope Conor wins though.

Yep fair enough

I think 2nd round.

Mendes won't make the distance and will gas

Mendes will definitely take him to the ground though. But he will surprise people with his ground game

I think it will be easier than a lot on here think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Watching a replay of Mendes/Aldo 2 on Fox, well it's more of a highlights package with footage from the camera that was on McGregor during that fight(really great video package btw). And i feel like it's the first time i've seen the real McGregor. None of the bull****, just a big kid totally entranced in a great fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Man, Mendes is hard not to like.

Knex. wrote: »
    Man, Mendes is hard not to like.

Yeah I know what you mean but its not a popularity contest.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 welchywelch

JustTheOne wrote:
    Mendes won't make the distance and will gas

JustTheOne wrote:
    Mendes will definitely take him to the ground though. But he will surprise people with his ground game

Thats exactly what Conor said on embedded, that he would "gas". I can't see it happening, he didn't gas against Aldo in the 2nd fight, in fact Mendes was the one putting all the pressure on, it was Aldo that was looking for breathers.We have never seen Conor put under serious pressuse so whos to know he won't "gas"? think the only way it'll go to the ground is if Conor tries his big mad spinning back heel kicks. Mendes isnt the one dimensional wrestler people are making out. I think it'll be decided on weather Conor can keep him at length for the whole fight. It's going to be some battle, I can't see it being easy for either of them.

Advertisement