Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

sc86 wrote: »
    Id say there will be half the amount of irish travelling to this compared the previous fights , should be interesting to see just how much the hype train has been derailed

Ticket prices won't be affected though. He's still a huge draw for the yanks. I don't remember there being a huge Irish following in the crowd at 229 and ticket prices were extortionate, and sold out far quicker than 189 or 194.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

The timing is bad for travelling. I'd like to get over myself

Tell me about it, I'm in Vegas the following week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Love when this thread comes alive, some craic

Cowboy is a bigger draw than Justin, let's be honest. Cowboy also deserves a Payday, Conor See's this as an easy route to Jorge and then will focus on Khabib, although I'm not convinced he really wants the Khabib fight again. Also in no way convinced he beats Jorge, but he must believe in himself as all fighters should.

Being a massive draw affords you certain sway within any business the UFC is no different. Conor gets his return fight with what he assumes will be a KO win over a future Hall of famer to propel him back into the spotlight. Simple business from his end.

I am glad he has a fight soon, regardless of how he has acted outside the cage, he is still a terrific talent inside it and that's about all the attention he will get from me in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Love when this thread comes alive, some craic

Cowboy is a bigger draw than Justin, let's be honest. Cowboy also deserves a Payday, Conor See's this as an easy route to Jorge and then will focus on Khabib, although I'm not convinced he really wants the Khabib fight again. Also in no way convinced he beats Jorge, but he must believe in himself as all fighters should.

Being a massive draw affords you certain sway within any business the UFC is no different. Conor gets his return fight with what he assumes will be a KO win over a future Hall of famer to propel him back into the spotlight. Simple business from his end.

I am glad he has a fight soon, regardless of how he has acted outside the cage, he is still a terrific talent inside it and that's about all the attention he will get from me in the future.

I'm not convinced Khabib beats Ferguson either ....or certainly not the gimme most seem to putting it down as, he loses that fight and the landscape changes again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

dulux99 wrote: »
    Ticket prices won't be affected though. He's still a huge draw for the yanks. I don't remember there being a huge Irish following in the crowd at 229 and ticket prices were extortionate, and sold out far quicker than 189 or 194.

yes the yanks love him , there was a huge irish crowd at 229 , its just easy get lost in vegas and not be noticed , fact it wasnt in mgm hotel also ment people were spread out after and before.
    huge irish crowd at alverez fight but again it just gets lost in new york because its so bloody big:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

sc86 wrote: »
    yes the yanks love him , there was a huge irish crowd at 229 , its just easy get lost in vegas and not be noticed , fact it wasnt in mgm hotel also ment people were spread out after and before.
    huge irish crowd at alverez fight but again it just gets lost in new york because its so bloody big:D

Ah I know I was at 229 myself. There was clearly a smaller Irish contingent in the arena on the night, I spoke to loads of people who didn't manage to get tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Masvidal saying his next two fights will be nick diaz and conor. There would be some build u0 to both and would be cracking bouts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Masvidal saying his next two fights will be nick diaz and conor. There would be some build u0 to both and would be cracking bouts

amazing , he ko's askren with a quick knee

beats down nate ( who anybody with a gas tank can )

now all of a sudden he's the man

wasnt as highly regarded before them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

dulux99 wrote: »
    Ah I know I was at 229 myself. There was clearly a smaller Irish contingent in the arena on the night, I spoke to loads of people who didn't manage to get tickets.

You were the guy that got knocked out cold by the Khabib fan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well he also demolished Darren Till. It's a good run of wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,230 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Homelander wrote: »
    Well he also demolished Darren Till. It's a good run of wins.

Only rewatched that recently. Masvidals counters and combos were glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

You're forgetting about him sending Till to dreamland and shortly afterwards giving Edwards the three piece and soda backstage. All adding to some hope around him.

Masvidal has been around for a loooong time, he's well respected and comes to fight. His last 6 loses were all by decision with 5 of them being split decisions. He claims to have changed things up stylistically as he's such of these decision loses and that can't be argued with in recent results.

I like him, he's super laid back and chill one minute and the next he's throwing slaps backstage or KO'ing someone with a flying knee. Entertainment at it's best right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whelo79 wrote:
    I like him, he's super laid back and chill one minute and the next he's throwing slaps backstage or KO'ing someone with a flying knee. Entertainment at it's best right there!
    And jumping around and slapping the ground like a scum bag in front of somebody who is out cold and could be in seriously bad condition.

eagle eye wrote: »
    And jumping around and slapping the ground like a scum bag in front of somebody who is out cold and could be in seriously bad condition.

Yeah, he turns pretty nasty when he feels wronged. And he seems to feel wronged pretty easily.
    There really wasn’t much need for him to give the 3 piece and soda to a not fully expecting Edwards, just cos of a few trash words being fired at him during his interview. He acted all tough with Bisping also one time, and even with his big gang with him he still didn’t try his kfc delivery on mike!!

iYtlqNb.gif

Yeah...awful bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yeah beating people gets you more highly regarded. Who knew.
    Gintonious wrote: »
    iYtlqNb.gif

Yeah...awful bad form.

Big difference there.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

This thread will be great for a lil while, then turn back into utter ****e the closer the fights comes, Im dreading it and yet will still read.

We will have the usual posting hatred and vice versa, madness in a group of adults.

Predictions Fight

Conor early or cowboy late, i do think conor can get up from under cowboy if taken down, on the feet i feel conor has a bit more but feck who knows.

Predictions Thread

Mellor will be correct so check your posts (Love ya)

Axwell will give atleast 4 warnings ( And do his best to keep trolls in check)
    Usual thank brigade of any negative if McGregor,

WalshB WILL turn up and soapbox
    Wheldhino will thank everything if Conor negative
    Whiskey
    Whiskey
    Bud
    Bud

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Axwell will give atleast 4 warnings ( And do his best to keep trolls in check)

All the warnings have been given long ago..at this stage if people choose to ignore them they have only themselves to blame :)

Slapping the ground like a scumbag? Hahaha

Do you think people can just instantly compartmentalise their feelings and emotions the second they beat someone? Himself and Askren had been at each other verbally for months, tension builds, emotions ride high. Askren even came out afterwards and said he deserved that reaction from Masvidal.

Yeah, he turns pretty nasty when he feels wronged. And he seems to feel wronged pretty easily.
    There really wasn’t much need for him to give the 3 piece and soda to a not fully expecting Edwards, just cos of a few trash words being fired at him during his interview. He acted all tough with Bisping also one time, and even with his big gang with him he still didn’t try his kfc delivery on mike!!

He said himself Edwards raised his fists first and where he was brought up you don't do that if you're not ready to fight. It doesn't excuse it but I know if someone raises their fists to me I'm not waiting around to let them throw first.

• Advertisement

Whelo79 wrote: »
    He said himself Edwards raised his fists first and where he was brought up you don't do that if you're not ready to fight. It doesn't excuse it but I know if someone raises their fists to me I'm not waiting around to let them throw first.

I like Masvidal, the sport needs these crazy characters. But there’s no way Edwards was threatening to fight in that situation. And he only got hit and cut cos the attack was so out of the blue. Masvidal pretty lucky there that Edwards took it so well, and didn’t react looking for a payout like some of the fellas on the bus in brooklynn.

mdwexford wrote: »

Big difference there.

Really? Aldo out cold, Conor doing that in front of Aldos corner? Sounds damn similar to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Seems the path is pretty obvious if he beats cowboy, but where does he go if he loses?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭xtal191

Doff wrote: »
    Seems the path is pretty obvious if he beats cowboy, but where does he go if he loses?

He should retire if he cant beat Cowboy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

xtal191 wrote: »
    He should retire if he cant beat Cowboy

Thats the plan apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Dana white says if Conor beats cowboy and kabib beats Tony then the rematch is on

https://youtu.be/XEbfvilNDqE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Dana White says a lot of things

Big cut on top of Conor nose and eye bruising in his latest pic on Instagram. He is one hard bad+@rd. Beard is bushiest I have ever seen on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭xtal191

Dana white says if Conor beats cowboy and kabib beats Tony then the rematch is on

https://youtu.be/XEbfvilNDqE

I hope not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

mdwexford wrote: »

Big difference there.

The only difference is he's irish and a tasteless knacker at that.

Advertisement