Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old books

• 31-08-2019 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭

Can you put old books like obsolete school books and such into the green bin? Or what are you meant to do with them.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yes they're paper so I guess that would work.

The other portion is offering them to a library or putting them on adverts.ie but it sounds like there wouldn't be much interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The pages are definitely recyclable. (Or even into compost if you were willing to tear them up; but that would take ages!!)

A problem can be the covers: Might be plastic, plastic-coated, or at least, a heavy card or cardboard.

So pull out the bunch of paper pages from the middle, and throw in green bin.

Make a separate decision about the covers: if card, recycle with cardboard. Otherwise, for landfill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cheers. Passed on as many as we can. It seems school books have become very wasteful. Almost none get reused. Seems a bit of industry scam if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

If you have the patience for it, you could also try freecycle or whatever equivalents are used in Ireland these days. I got rid of the last of books that no-one else would take there because an art student was looking for some for a project. At least those books had another life before being thrown out.

Advertisement