Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Options
1309310311312313315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

What's the deal with this Khabib v Mayweather business? I presume that's never happening. Mayweather would only do a 100% boxing match and, for all this talk of Khabib outboxing Conor (which is nonsense imo), surely the idea of him in a boxing match is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mousewar wrote: »
    What's the deal with this Khabib v Mayweather business? I presume that's never happening. Mayweather would only do a 100% boxing match and, for all this talk of Khabib outboxing Conor (which is nonsense imo), surely the idea of him in a boxing match is ludicrous.

Mayweather will be chomping at the bit to make this....

Can't see it coming close to the Mayweather/McGregor numbers though...

Floyd says it will beat it....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I don't know shít about boxing but if the events were PPVs then it would increase the money he'd make (either through increased payment for the contract or through a PPV cut) but regardless I'd say he's pretty happy right now.

Well, I'm going on what several posters have said that Darnz don't do PPV money and that the fee is set.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well, I'm going on what several posters have said that Darnz don't do PPV money and that the fee is set.

Yeah they are. I just meant if he really wanted more money then he could have gone with a company that would do PPVs. I'd say he's happy getting 365m and his fights being available for relatively cheap compared to the cost of PPVs.

Mousewar wrote: »
    He fought McGregor because Conor was the biggest name in MMA, a great promoter, and a striker with a (rudimentary) boxing foundation. Plus the two of them set it up via years of back and forth.

McGregor needed UFC approval to take the fight. They gave it because they were reasonably confident he wouldn't make a fool of himself.

None of this applies to Khabib.

I don't see how this can happen. It's absurd...10x more absurd than the McGregor fight. My initial thought is that Floyd is just talking nonsense to keep his name out there. (of course that's what many said about the Conor rumors).

But then when you see him pictured with Kadyrov several times incl literally the other week ... I really don't know what kind of shady stuff is going on. Would Kadyrov be willing to pay Floyd hundreds of millions of dollars to take the fight and carry Khabib? Does he have that kind of money?

• Advertisement

Yeah they are. I just meant if he really wanted more money then he could have gone with a company that would do PPVs. I'd say he's happy getting 365m and his fights being available for relatively cheap compared to the cost of PPVs.

Good point.

But then when you see him pictured with Kadyrov several times incl literally the other week ... I really don't know what kind of shady stuff is going on. Would Kadyrov be willing to pay Floyd hundreds of millions of dollars to take the fight and carry Khabib? Does he have that kind of money?

Wow. If that happens the Russians/Chechens have not just a foothold in the White but really have a foot in American culture now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Mayweather will really make a mockery of himself if he's serious about Khabib. Atleast vs McGregor they could market McGregor as a serious standup fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

dulux99 wrote: »
    Mayweather will really make a mockery of himself if he's serious about Khabib. Atleast vs McGregor they could market McGregor as a serious standup fighter.

Undefeated boxer vs Undefeated MMA star. USA vs Russia. Would make serious money. Christmas Day 2019 in Moscow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Undefeated boxer vs Undefeated MMA star. USA vs Russia. Would make serious money. Christmas Day 2019 in Moscow.

Khabib can't box ffs ....he has no feet no timing for it, throws overhand haymakers .......a fight with Mayweather would be laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Khabib can't box ffs ....he has no feet no timing for it, throws overhand haymakers .......a fight with Mayweather would be laughable

Agreed.

Khabib doesn’t even have enough on show boxing-wise for Floyd to be able to carry him for a few rounds.

It’s a complete non-starter which Floyd is having a bit of craic over and enjoying the attention coming from it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Heard McGregor is going to be doing a residency DJ'ing in Ibiza next summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

sonofenoch wrote: »

Everyone who follows MMA knows that but these type of fights aren't aimed at them, it's for Joe Public that will buy into the hype and buy the PPV off the back of some good marketing.

It worked last year against McGregor and who knows maybe with the right marketing it could work again although not near the same numbers.

I'm sure this is just being floated by Mayweather to see if it's a runner and what the reaction is to the idea. Can't see it happening but with both having unbeaten records & the whole US/Russia thing it could certainly make both a lot of money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

According to his fan club, money is the only measure of success.

Its not simply according to his fan club. Conor himself has always stated that money is his overriding goal. Not belts, not legacy, not even entertaining fights - these are all subservient to maximising earnings. Success is measured by the degree to which you achieve your own goal (as opposed to the goals that others project on to you or believe that you should be striving for).

Therefore even his most strident critic has to concede that he has been stupendously successful. He made more in a single defeat than most mma fighters can dream of making in their entire careers.

And he is not finished yet. There are several BIG paydays left for him in his UFC career, even if he never wins another belt or even another fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

mangobob wrote: »
    Its not simply according to his fan club. Conor himself has always stated that money is his overriding goal. Not belts, not legacy, not even entertaining fights - these are all subservient to maximising earnings. Success is measured by the degree to which you achieve your own goal (as opposed to the goals that others project on to you or believe that you should be striving for).

Therefore even his most strident critic has to concede that he has been stupendously successful. He made more in a single defeat than most mma fighters can dream of making in their entire careers.

And he is not finished yet. There are several BIG paydays left for him in his UFC career, even if he never wins another belt or even another fight.

Yeah, can't argue with that - he has been successful.

My problem with some of his fans is that they will mention the amount of money he makes as if that somehow excuses some of the ridiculous stuff he does. To me it's a non-sequitur.

He could drop trou and take a shite on the stage and you'd still have people saying "Ah yeah, but he's making millions, have to respect that."

No, no we don't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Thread approaching 10k posts so new thread opened to carry on discussion here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement