Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The WTF Electrical Photo Thread - NO CHAT - JUST PICS - Read post #1 before posting

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Is post 39 in the UK/EU? Thats odd looking block work/Blocks.

My drill just wanted to know...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Is post 39 in the UK/EU? Thats odd looking block work/Blocks.

Czech Republic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

IMG_6616.jpg

Not the most beautiful panel, but there are other issues: Single core conductors carrying AC current should not pass through a ferrous metal plate.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stolen from YLYL

25527_vf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dathi

halogen spots spray foamed in position in attic conversion had turned the foam black all around the spot and transformer

• Advertisement

31752474847_087462a222_b.jpg

I was at a FAT today at a well known facility and saw the above, so I had to ask a few questions.

So what is it?
    One large custom built variable speed drive for a single motor (to be installed on a site in Ireland). The motor in question is 2.8 MW. The 3 phase output from the VSD is 690V. It takes two supples from a dedicated 6kV / 690V transformer, hence the 2 air circuit breakers. This transformer provides 2 its our output windings, one is star wound and one delta wound. This provides a 30 degree phase shift between the 2 outputs which is good for harmonic reduction (THD is just 12%). Once both supplies have been rectified they are connected to a common DC bus, then to a 5 paralleled R8i units which provide the variable frequency 3 phase 690V output to the motor. Interestingly the transformer output has no earth reference, therefore the motor does not either.

45969270644_ffb1903dd4_b.jpg

Boom!
    The internals of a small ABB VSD that shorted internally due to the ingress of moisture.

Generally speaking we don't get to see busbar like this, I just happened to be present during the panel build so I took a quick photo. This particular example is rated for 4000 A. Parts of it were c & c machined. Excellent work IMHO.

47148860391_4ffe96f3bd.jpg

47213500862_9a56c6acf7.jpg

Last minute checks of a tidal turbine before deployment.

I have just returned from Cuba. The standard of their electrical installations is pretty poor, but it is interesting as it illustrates just how much it is possible to get away with for those willing to take the risk.

The electrics shown in the next 3 photos are all installed outdoors and somehow continue to function:

48056161273_5fb4ba89a6_z.jpg

48056114286_1a48866777.jpg

48056207092_07eceb6a25.jpg

I really like the way that they give you a choice of 110 or 220V socket outlets. What I find odd is that the sockets are identical, so there is nothing stopping a person from plugging a 110V device into a 220V socket. These ones are "posh" because they some with stickers, most don't. If you are lucky the voltage may be written in pencil above the outlet.

48056109066_29407a3935.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

7gLoTZf.jpg

4HLuBNN.jpg

I've invented a new kind of fuseless fly lead called "The Welder's Buddy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Gate Automation

If you wondering why garden lights are tripping ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Thanks for a good laugh on some of these...

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭eirman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Cerco

Would that be a job for SGS approval. Sure all it needs is a few cable ties here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Got sent this but no idea of origin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Press above the front door. To turn off a fuse you open the press door & remove the fuse box. You then put fuse box back in the press when job is done.

It can't be legal? You are moving all of the cables each time you need to turn off a trip switch. Can't be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭meercat

Unbelievable

cheers sleeper12 I forgot about this threaD

(Sorry can’t get photos to attach straight)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭meercat

Sure we’ll just lob the cables in the gutter!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement