Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meter cabinet isolator

Options
  • 14-04-2021 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is it ESBs responsibility to fit a double pole isolator in the metre cabinet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

Just wondering is it ESBs responsibility to fit a double pole isolator in the metre cabinet?

Yes. Before your main over current protective device

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Cheers, presumably a simple case of ringing them and asking them to install? They’re not going to start looking for certs and all that?!

Cheers, presumably a simple case of ringing them and asking them to install? They’re not going to start looking for certs and all that?!

Householder(bill payer ) reports it as a fault. Mprn required when calling. No certificate required

Great stuff, thanks for that mate

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

For what its worth, your meter nay have an integral isolator dependong on the meter installed at your premises.

Both meters circled in the attached picture have an integral isolator.

• Advertisement

sparcocars wrote: »
    For what its worth, your meter nay have an integral isolator dependong on the meter installed at your premises.

Both meters circled in the attached picture have an integral isolator.

It’s a new smart metre, couldn’t see any double pile isolator there though?!

Definitely should of been a seperate double pole isolator fitted so.

Definitely should of been a seperate double pole isolator fitted so.

That’s what I was thinking, this is my sister in laws house.

However i know for a fact that KN installed a smart metre in my own house and didn’t install an isolator.

So rang esb and they said because it’s a smart metre it has the isolator in it, unless I’m missing something I can’t see how you can isolate the fuse board from the metre?

Only one button available and that toggles through the readings that’s it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Yoptail.

So rang esb and they said because it’s a smart metre it has the isolator in it, unless I’m missing something I can’t see how you can isolate the fuse board from the metre?

I'm not sure on the exact specs for cabinets now

The meter isolator, I would describe that as a switch to safely connect to the meter and not for isolating supply to main DB

The separate DP isolator in some cabinets or the consumers main OCPD would isolate the supply to the main DB

If you're working on the main DB you're not in line of sight of the cabinet so there may be extra precautions required too for safe working

• Advertisement

Yoptail. wrote: »
    I'm not sure on the exact specs for cabinets now

The meter isolator, I would describe that as a switch to safely connect to the meter and not for isolating supply to main DB

The separate DP isolator in some cabinets or the consumers main OCPD would isolate the supply to the main DB

If you're working on the main DB you're not in line of sight of the cabinet so there may be extra precautions required too for safe working

Yes so sorry if I’ve explained that wrong, I’m talking about a double pole switch after the metre so the fuse board can be isolated without pulling the esb cutout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Yoptail.

Yes so sorry if I’ve explained that wrong, I’m talking about a double pole switch after the metre so the fuse board can be isolated without pulling the esb cutout

Yes there should be means of isolation and overcurrent protection

Back in the day we had to ring ESBN to do anything

Other alternative was to work live or you could try pulling the fused-cutout enough to disconnect without removing the seal

There should 100% be an isolator fitted. Was it esb networks you rang or your supplier?

I attached a picture from the safe electric newsletter

There should 100% be an isolator fitted. Was it esb networks you rang or your supplier?

I attached a picture from the safe electric newsletter

ESB networks, she went off, came back ten mins later and said there was an isolator in the new smart metre, I said I don’t think so but I’ll double check. Always second guessing myself. Having gone and checked, there is absolutely no isolator fitted.

I started thinking then is it up to the REC to install a breaker in the cabinet? After the metre and before the DB?!

Or is the correct install as follows.

1. Esb cutout ESB)
    2.cutout to metre (ESB)
    3.metre to isolator (ESB)
    4.isolator to main over current protection 63a MCB (Customer)

Report it as a fault again.
    Some call centre operatives are unfamiliar with the issues and layouts of metering systems.
    Ask for an engineer to contact you directly

Will do, cheers for the advice folks

ESB networks, she went off, came back ten mins later and said there was an isolator in the new smart metre, I said I don’t think so but I’ll double check. Always second guessing myself. Having gone and checked, there is absolutely no isolator fitted.

I started thinking then is it up to the REC to install a breaker in the cabinet? After the metre and before the DB?!

1. Esb cutout ESB)
    2.cutout to metre (ESB)

Yeah you correct in the sequence you have listed in you post. Thats how it should all be connected.

ESB networks, she went off, came back ten mins later and said there was an isolator in the new smart metre,

I dont know anything about the new smart meters but maybe they are talking about the isolater they can control ?

They can remotely switch them off cant they ?

I dont know anything about the new smart meters but maybe they are talking about the isolater they can control ?

They can remotely switch them off cant they ?

Ye I’d imagine that’s what they are talking about, I’ve mailed them with the extract gel
    Safe electric and said they need to come and install an isolator

• Registered Users Posts: 16 throwaway657yf

1. Esb cutout ESB)
    2.cutout to metre (ESB)

in the case of the mod does that have to be a dp isolator or could you still use a sp if the cu was fitted with a dp main switch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Extra user.

in the case of the mod does that have to be a dp isolator or could you still use a sp if the cu was fitted with a dp main switch?

Hmm well..

I don't think the DP isolator in the meter cabinet and the Main Isolator at the main DB are related in that way

The DP isolator in the cabinet is the interface between ESBN and the REC

All it does really is allow a safe connection for the REC at the meter cabinet and changing of main devices at the main DB if necessary(the main MCB in the cabinet can do that as well)

The main isolator at the main DB isolates the main DB and the entire installation

The DP 'main switch' is a new requirement, I wouldn't get too caught up about it
    Single pole main isolation has worked fine up to now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Interesting discussion. I had a smart meter installed about two weeks ago, it replaced the original meter that is nearly 20 years old now. The old meter had an internal disconnect, but the new one does not. I asked the installer would he be installing a separate isolator but he said no, it was only required where the tails were too short or if there was no neutralising link. Didn't seem right but no point arguing with the installer.

I rang ESBN to report it as a fault, and to be fair to them they send a crew out within 2 hours to review the installation. While on site they rang their head of Metering for clarification, and apparently he informed them that meter cabinet isolation was only required for new installations, and in that case it was to be installed by the builders REC before ESBN connected the supply.

So the semi-official line from ESBN is they are not installing them, and they don't require their contractors to install them unless there is a specific reason to do so.

Pete67 wrote: »
    Interesting discussion. I had a smart meter installed about two weeks ago, it replaced the original meter that is nearly 20 years old now. The old meter had an internal disconnect, but the new one does not. I asked the installer would he be installing a separate isolator but he said no, it was only required where the tails were too short or if there was no neutralising link. Didn't seem right but no point arguing with the installer.

I rang ESBN to report it as a fault, and to be fair to them they send a crew out within 2 hours to review the installation. While on site they rang their head of Metering for clarification, and apparently he informed them that meter cabinet isolation was only required for new installations, and in that case it was to be installed by the builders REC before ESBN connected the supply.

So the semi-official line from ESBN is they are not installing them, and they don't require their contractors to install them unless there is a specific reason to do so.

That’s not correct
    I’ve recently worked on an installation where a smart meter was fitted and an isolator was fitted before the main over current protective device
    Check out post 14 from sparcocars that safe electric guidelines state

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

meercat wrote: »
    That’s not correct
    I’ve recently worked on an installation where a smart meter was fitted and an isolator was fitted before the main over current protective device
    Check out post 14 from sparcocars that safe electric guidelines state

Thanks, I'm familiar with the Safe Electric newsletter. I just wanted to let folks know what I was told by ESBN who came out and inspected the installation.

They did say that an isolator would be installed before the main over current device on older installations without a neutralising link, or possibly after the meter if the customers tails were too short to reach the meter terminals, but that otherwise it is not required.

However a quick review of ESBN code of practice describes two methods for a Domestic Standard Setup, one with separate meter and isolator, and one with combined meter and isolator. No mention of an installation without an ESBN isolator. I might take it up with ESBN Engineering if I can get hold of them.

Pete67 wrote: »

They did say that an isolator would be installed before the main over current device on older installations without a neutralising link,.

Not sure what they meant by this. All installations require a neutralising link.

Advertisement