Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone to compete with GoMo with “Clear Mobile”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭amacca

-=al=- wrote: »
    There’s still pay as you go services out there. You top up, use the chosen plan, i.e texts, calls and data and when the month is up you can keep and use the credit. The out of plan pricing is usually unfavourable so the credit gets sucked up fast. But they do exist for sure.

I’ve had a pay as you go for many moons and still prefer it. Credit usually builds up and you can still use it or use it abroad (Lol), or to pay for parking, or pay for Apple and google services.

You actually used to be able to spend your phone credit on topping up your Microsoft account. It was dead handy to get your monthly phone plan for €20 then top up your Microsoft account with €15. You were essentially getting the monthly phone plan for a €5

Sorry for the hassle but do you mid telling me what ones let you continue to use your remaining credit out of plan/if you don't top up at the end of the month? Is it all of them and only Vodafones PAYG is effectively a bill pay?

I'M relieved to hear that tbh...ive always been on bill pay so when I got her the phone deal with Vodafone I was a bit peed off she couldn't make calls etc without putting another 20 once the month was up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

amacca wrote: »
    Oh....i thought it had changed, she (well I got it for her really) a Vodafone deal ...it was down as 20 payg she can't make calls etc if she doesn't put the 20 in every month?

Vodafones payg works like this still

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Not sure of the current list of networks that still let you keep the credit, they’re a lot harder to find these days. It seems like networks tried to cut down on it.

I am on three myself and it still works with keeping credit. Maybe it’s an old plan or something but still works. I’ve gone 6 months without topping up and credit has also still remained, but not sure about a new customer though. I’m sure some other networks would still offer it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

There’s still pay as you go services out there. You top up, use the chosen plan, i.e texts, calls and data and when the month is up you can keep and use the credit. The out of plan pricing is usually unfavourable so the credit gets sucked up fast. But they do exist for sure.

Only Lyca have a top up, keep credit offer that includes a monthly allowance. All the others have stopped keep credit plans for new customers, those on legacy plans can still retain plan credit as long as they don't switch from the legacy plan.

"Classic" pay as you go is still available but the rate for calls is steep. It's useful for a few SMS and a few calls but any more than 20 minutes of calls makes the 48 7.99 plan better value.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Only Lyca have a top up, keep credit offer that includes a monthly allowance. All the others have stopped keep credit plans for new customers, those on legacy plans can still retain plan credit as long as they don't switch from the legacy plan.

"Classic" pay as you go is still available but the rate for calls is steep. It's useful for a few SMS and a few calls but any more than 20 minutes of calls makes the 48 7.99 plan better value.

Thanks I was afraid that might be the case

She is an elderly woman so "classic" PAYG makes more sense for her...she can go weeks without using it and theres wifi at home if she needs to use internet....very unlikely to be using internet out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

...so "classic" PAYG makes more sense for her...

Vodafone have a PAYG 5e / 28 day / 100 minute add on which might suit if it's only calls she needs.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/add-ons.html

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Vodafone have a PAYG 5e / 28 day / 100 minute add on which might suit if it's only calls she needs.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/add-ons.html

Thanks I'll look into it .... it's the inflexibility of the 28 day expiry.....she might hardly use it for a couple of months and then make a couple of calls in one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

seannash wrote: »
    they are bill pay from what I understand

They're not billpay, they're pay as you go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

jdon72 wrote: »
    They're not billpay, they're pay as you go
    Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

beachhead wrote: »
    Just about the right price but 5Mbs

I'm on this plan! Oh wait, I'm on RED Unlimited. Just can't get higher than 5Mbs where I am :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I wonder how long until they get a customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭sugarman20

I signed up as my coverage on GoMo is really poor. Just did a speed test and not even getting 1Mb download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

There is a house in Dublin 24, next to a VF base station which gets .3meg on BB. National broadband plan is enabled but installation was refused as openeir ran the overhead cable banging of trees and they want 1 meter clearance all round.

I wonder would this do for an OAP for basic browsing and maybe basic firestick.

sugarman20 wrote: »
    I signed up as my coverage on GoMo is really poor. Just did a speed test and not even getting 1Mb download.

How did you get a SIM already? Please tell all, very curious of your experiences.
    Why did you choose this over postmobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

TheDriver wrote: »
    Imagine being in charge of this launch and having to report how it's going. I'd say they will make changes to the plan within a few months because they won't pull people in with the current offering.

DopeTech wrote: »
    Imagine being in charge of this launch and having to report how it's going. I'd say they will make changes to the plan within a few months because they won't pull people in with the current offering.

I honestly can't think of anyone who would want this plan.
    If you want unlimited data, it's for streaming hence you need about 10Mb so vodafone x is best solution.
    Otherwise you want just cheap so go for Gomo or 48 which offers speeds that are going to beat this plan.
    Or you want a vodafone plan which has good speeds but a decent data limit, then go with PM.

Who would want this plan at all?

There is a house in Dublin 24, next to a VF base station which gets .3meg on BB. National broadband plan is enabled but installation was refused as openeir ran the overhead cable banging of trees and they want 1 meter clearance all round.

I wonder would this do for an OAP for basic browsing and maybe basic firestick.

If you can get a decent 5Mb then maybe but vodafone X sounds better as the 10Mb would be far more usable.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

amacca wrote: »
    Oh....i thought it had changed, she (well I got it for her really) a Vodafone deal ...it was down as 20 payg she can't make calls etc if she doesn't put the 20 in every month?
    With this new breed of PAYG deal, the €20 top-up is debited as soon as you top up to 'buy' the monthly offer.

So if your mother is only topping up by €20-a-month, there never actually is any credit on her account and she can't use her phone after the monthly offer expires.

If she doesn't want to activate the monthly offer and only wants credit on her account to use up as she calls/texts, she needs to top up by LESS than €20 in one go (so €5/€10/€15).

The issue with doing this is that out-of-bundle usage is pretty expensive, something like 35c/min for standard calls, so credit gets exhausted pretty quickly. So unless her usage is extremely light, she'd probably still be better off on 48, GoMo or Clear Mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭shmeee

How did you get a SIM already? Please tell all, very curious of your experiences.
    Why did you choose this over postmobile?

I take it, they mean GoMo speed is 1mb......

There was a law brought in a few weeks back that means credit can be claimed back so no provider is going to provide a service and have credit resting there that now can be claimed back effectively meaning a free plan

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    they are bill pay from what I understand
    48 is PAYG but you can't call, text or use data unless you have an active membership. You can receive calls/texts without an active membership though.

There was a law brought in a few weeks back that means credit can be claimed back so no provider is going to provide a service and have credit resting there that now can be claimed back effectively meaning a free plan
    The government postponed the introduction of that law to sometime in Q1 this year (no exact date yet AFAIK).

shmeee wrote: »
    I take it, they mean GoMo speed is 1mb......

Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭lordsheepface

do you have a link to this? not doubting, just curious. thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Suspect my Dad will sign up, has very poor Eir/GoMo coverage at his second house and currently has a 48 SIM for Three which is somewhat better - but both are in the kilobits range. Vodafone real can pull 70Mbits so should give him the 5mbit solidly

L1011 wrote: »
    Suspect my Dad will sign up, has very poor Eir/GoMo coverage at his second house and currently has a 48 SIM for Three which is somewhat better - but both are in the kilobits range. Vodafone real can pull 70Mbits so should give him the 5mbit solidly

Would he not be better on post mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Quackster wrote: »
    The government postponed the introduction of that law to sometime in Q1 this year (no exact date yet AFAIK).

So unused credit building up could be taken back by the phone company forcing you to top up again?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Realistically yes. But for some reason 15 sounds like a lot more than 13!

leex wrote: »
    So unused credit building up could be taken back by the phone company forcing you to top up again?

No, if you are leaving a network and have credit left you can request it back in the form of a cheque presumably. I think one of them, maybe 3 take a cut in form of an admin free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

Did a quick look and I believe a 50gb data limit applies to Post Mobile.

Advertisement