Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trigger points

Options
  • 09-04-2019 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any tips for preventing or treating trigger points in the shoulders?
    Absolutely plagued with them in the last year or so, as much as I enjoy running it's getting to the stage where I'm not willing to put up with the amount of pain that comes afterwards. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

ooter wrote: »
    Absolutely plagued with them in the last year or so, as much as I enjoy running it's getting to the stage where I'm not willing to put up with the amount of pain that comes afterwards. :(

I do 50 arm rotations (arms out to the side and circle motion before a run.

Also worth looking up some resistance band exercises too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

ooter wrote: »

Where did you get the trigger point diagnosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

pconn062 wrote: »
    Where did you get the trigger point diagnosis?

I didn't, maybe I've got it wrong and they're not trigger points, others may call them knots.
    Repetitive movement of my arms seems to bring it on, and that seems to be one of the causes of myofascial trigger points.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sounds like physio obfuscation to me. Never heard the term. What does it feel like when running? Maybe just conscious relaxation would do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Do sports massages help?

If so, you could invest in something like a Thera Cane - can be therapeutic while tellyboxing.

thera_cane.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I've seen it all now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I've seen it all now!!

Works though!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sounds like physio obfuscation to me. Never heard the term. What does it feel like when running? Maybe just conscious relaxation would do the trick.

That's the thing, it doesn't hurt while running but the following day the pain kicks in. Massage gets rid of it to a degree but the knots and the pain always return, so frustrating.

Sounds to me like the muscles are overloaded and running is a trigger. Do you work at an office job/computers? Any other stress factors involved? Stress is usually a big player in shoulder/neck pain. I would suggest a bit of strength work for the traps/neck rotators. Shrugs/lateral raises/shoulder press.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »

It's a pretty well known term in the physio/physical therapy/sports therapy world. Not one I like mind you, or even that I agree with, but definitely not made up on the whim by some physio.

Nice (but long) unbiased science based article here: https://www.painscience.com/tutorials/trigger-points.php

pconn062 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the muscles are overloaded and running is a trigger. Do you work at an office job/computers? Any other stress factors involved? Stress is usually a big player in shoulder/neck pain. I would suggest a bit of strength work for the traps/neck rotators. Shrugs/lateral raises/shoulder press.

Yeah I've been office based for the last 7 years but changed jobs 3 weeks ago and now I'm more active and outdoors a lot more and not so sedintary during working hours. Strength training seemed to aggravate it in the past so stopped doing it, might introduce it back in again.

Advertisement