Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper naan bread without a tandoor oven???

• 19-01-2011 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a naan recipe similar to what you'd get from an Indian restaurant (soft, chewy/almost elasticy consistency), but any I find/try seem to turn out similar to those crap ones you can buy in supermarkets :(

Anyone any advice/tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I find the trick with the supermarket ones (the ones you get in the cooler cabinet are best) is to run them under the tap for a split second so they're wet on both sides, then heat in the oven at a lowish heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Naan Bread

1 lb plain cream flour
    1 sachet dried yeast
    2 tsp caster sugar
    half tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 tblsp light oil
    150ml natural yogurt
    1 large egg beaten
    150mls warm milk

follow the video instuctions here http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-make-naan-bread-2

As I do not have a Kitchen aid with a dough hook, just kneaded the dough for about 5 mins, put some music on very relaxing:)

I preheat my oven to gas 9 and heat up heavy baking tray 2nd shelf from top.
    Preheat your grill too for finishing off.

I made these last night, they were way better than the shop packed ones. Grand texture and lovely flavour. Mix made six large, naans. I have 3 (cooked) in freezer ready for next curry night.

Have tongs, oven gloves at the ready, and watch your time as these really do cook quickly.

I am definitely going to be making my own and stocking my freezer from now on:)

As it was my first go cooking the naans, I am going to try strong flour next time, and also try garlic and fresh finely chopped coriander kneaded into the dough just before shaping and rolling out the naans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Blisterman wrote: »
    I find the trick with the supermarket ones (the ones you get in the cooler cabinet are best) is to run them under the tap for a split second so they're wet on both sides, then heat in the oven at a lowish heat.

I've tried that, but still those supermarket naans are just total ****e and don't even come close to the texture you would get from a proper Indian restaurants naans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

gloobag wrote: »
    I've been looking for a naan recipe similar to what you'd get from an Indian restaurant (soft, chewy/almost elasticy consistency), but any I find/try seem to turn out similar to those crap ones you can buy in supermarkets :(

Anyone any advice/tips?
    I would've said that would be a more apt description of the supermarket bought Naans than the ones you'd get in a Restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

1/2 cup water
    3/4 cup plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons butter
    3 cups plain flour
    1/2 tablespoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons quick yeast

Place all of the ingredients in a bread machine (or do it the hard way, by hand - mix and knead, and knead, and knead). Select the dough cycle and press start.

When the cycle is complete, remove dough from machine and divide into 12
    parts. Preheat oven to 250 degrees (or as hot as it gets). Make each part into a naan bread shape (ie, flat and kinda triangular) and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 250 for
    15 to 20 minutes until you get brownish spots all over, or a general browning.

Made these (again) the other night and if you eat them fresh they're really rather good.

• Advertisement

I am going to try this naan bread recipe and method.

http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-make-naan-bread-3

Indian lady uses home oven and a pizza stone. The recipe does not use egg+milk, but yogurt + water and raising agents. I noted her method for mixing the dough, oiling her hand etc. quite detailed instructions. No kneading as such simply making smooth dough and leaving for 3 to 4 hours to double in size. I noticed she used cellophane sheet on her table top and very little flour to roll out her naans. Liked the tips to wet hands when handling the naans getting them onto pizza stone. Also noted how she simply pulled out the oven rack with the stone on just less than half way to place naans on to it, thus not losing that much heat from the stone. Obviously this could be a bit dangerous with kids or pets about so be careful doing this.... She says her oven was 500 degrees presume she is counting in degrees F so guess it would be Gas 9 preheated for 20 mins... scorching so use yer gloves and tongs:) Finished naans looked the real deal so worth a try:)

Naans should be so simple to make but unless you get some authentic tricks of the trade they are sooo tricky to try and replicate at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Those recipes are missing one vital ingredient: onion seeds

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I'd call those more of an optional ingredient - never had a naan in a restaurant with them in yet :) Sounds good though - any ideas where to buy them? (Outside of Dublin, and preferably mail order).

p.s. Nesbitt - loved that video - very close to the recipe I use, but obviously without the bread machine part. I'm going to give her method/recipe a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Darkginger wrote: »
    I'd call those more of an optional ingredient - never had a naan in a restaurant with them in yet :) Sounds good though - any ideas where to buy them? (Outside of Dublin, and preferably mail order).
    You can get them in Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The heat is the most important thing. I find that turning the oven up full and putting in a cast iron frying pan works best. Then I hold the cooked naan in a tongs and toss it gently over the flame of a gas burner to achieve toastiness. :)

• Advertisement

The heat is the most important thing. I find that turning the oven up full and putting in a cast iron frying pan works best. Then I hold the cooked naan in a tongs and toss it gently over the flame of a gas burner to achieve toastiness. :)

+1

Also, like the idea of finishing them off for a minute under the grill (preheated on full whack) too, just to be sure to be sure:)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

If you have to use supermarket naan (M&S are the best i've tried) - painting melted clarified butter on them before whacking them under the grill also helps give that 'authentic' flavour.

muckety wrote: »
    If you have to use supermarket naan (M&S are the best i've tried) - painting melted clarified butter on them before whacking them under the grill also helps give that 'authentic' flavour.

+1

Yes, out of all the various supermarket ones, M&S had the best flavour and texture. They are in the chilled section and not vac packed.

However not consistently good across the range.... The Peshwiri (spelling appalling sorry) naan, very good, plain not so good. Mind you that tip about buttering and grilling would probably be just the trick:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Years ago, somebody (Sharwoods, I think) used to do a naan bread mix - just add water, let it rise, roll and grill.
    I seem to remember that they were quite good but saying that, they were probably the first naan bread I ever tasted.

Might still be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I eat these quite regularly, and switch between home made unleavened, naan style leavened and supermarket naans, I always cook then on a very hot (wok burner) frying pan with a little oil (you could add some butter too but these are cooked very hot and it might burn).

It's surprising how good even the shop ones are if they're done in a pan, each bread needs no more than a minute each side (this might even be too long if you've got a really hot pan so check).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cannyfradock

nesbitt wrote: »
    +1

Also, like the idea of finishing them off for a minute under the grill (preheated on full whack) too, just to be sure to be sure:)

The best Naan bread recipe that I have tried was Madhur Jaffreys Naan bread recipe. She also tells you how to bake one in a domestic oven...using a heavy frying pan and the grill.

I've used her recipe 3 times and each time the Naan turns out as good as any Indian restaurants Naan...honest

http://www.food.com/recipe/madhur-jaffreys-naan-bread-446809

.....if the link doesn't work simply google it.

Terry

Link works fine. I will try this version. Thanks.

Making quite a few 'bread's at home now without too much bother... Its like anything you fuss at the start and then its all done on auto pilot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I just took this Naan out of the oven about a half hour ago, has a lovely texture to it, smells amazing, and is quite tasty. (i made some with and some without coriander, go WITH defo!

was really easy to make too.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/naan/Detail.aspx

Advertisement