Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Bench VS Decline Bench

• 15-04-2008 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Is there any advantages / benefits of doing the decline bench instead of the flat bench?

I find it much easier to do as I usually dont have a spotter with me, plus can lift far heavier weights without getting into trouble.

Havnt done any flat bench work now in the last month, but was wondering is there say a percentage / general formula one can calculate for the two.

The last time in done any flat bench work i was doing 3 sets of 6-8 reps approx 67.5kg

I hit 100kg last night on the decline for the first time, so was wondering what i should be able to hit now on the flat bench without getting into trouble??

Done the following sets on the decline bench.

5reps X 70kg
    4reps X 80kg
    3reps X 90kg
    2reps X 100kg
    2reps X 100kg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you're trying to avoid an exercise because you're not good at it then it's usually a sign you need to concentrate more on it.

I'd never pick the decline over flat bench. A decline is really just a shortened full range press. And as a result it's going to be mostly triceps and very little chest.

I'm sure it has its uses in addition to flat benching. But not as a replacement.

Dumbbell floor presses might be anothe good option. I did them for the first time last ngiht and got a great pump in my chest.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=gGl4zGkhbP0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Hanley wrote: »
    If you're trying to avoid an exercise because you're not good at it then it's usually a sign you need to concentrate more on it.

I'd never pick the decline over flat bench. A decline is really just a shortened full range press. And as a result it's going to be mostly triceps and very little chest.

I'm sure it has its uses in addition to flat benching. But not as a replacement.

Dumbbell floor presses might be anothe good option. I did them for the first time last ngiht and got a great pump in my chest.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=gGl4zGkhbP0

Thanks Hanley,

I wouldnt say that I'm bad at the flat benching - just that it more convenient to do the decline in my gym as there usually a queue for the flat bench! Plus i feel more comforable on the decline as I dont need a spotter.

I wanted to do some flat work last night but there was a backlog of ppl trying to use it...so i didnt bother!

But i want to combine both for my next session tomorrow - is there a guide percentage of my decline bench I should attempt? I hit 100kg on the decline so could i hit 80kg -> 80%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

thewools wrote: »
    But i want to combine both for my next session tomorrow - is there a guide percentage of my decline bench I should attempt? I hit 100kg on the decline so could i hit 80kg -> 80%

From what i've read.
    the weight you can lift on the decline bench is apporx 10% more than what you can lift on the flat bench.
    this is due to the shorted range in motion and the fact that the anterior deltiods are less involved, and the tricpes and lats (?) more involved.

similarily, the weight you can lift on the incline bench is approx 10% less than what you can lift on the flat bench.
    this would be due to the more involvement of the anterior deltiod, and less involvement of the lats.

no reason why you should use a spotter on a flat bench and not a decline bench.
    why not do dumbbell benches if you dont have a spotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

aye wrote: »
    no reason why you should use a spotter on a flat bench and not a decline bench.
    why not do dumbbell benches if you dont have a spotter.

I agree with this - if you were working to the same intensity on the decline bench you should need a spotter - the fact that you don't tells me you could probably lift more on it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Allie Echoing Boss

I like to call the decline bench 'the poor mans dips'.

Works the muscles in a similar way for people too weak to dip.

Er, no there's no advantage to decline pressing over any other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Can't imagine there is any advantage, and you're probably short changing your chest in some shape or form.

I quite like the floor presses actually - Hanley I'd say the reason you got a good pump is (apart from the fact that you don't do them as often as regular benching) that your shoulders are less involved than your chest - they are easier on your shoulders anyway from what I can see.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Mairt wrote: »
    I like to call the decline bench 'the poor mans dips'.

Works the muscles in a similar way for people too weak to dip.

Er, no there's no advantage to decline pressing over any other.

Slightly off topic - I would think that decline benching 73kg would be better for me that doing dips at a bodyweight of 73kg as the weight of my arms are being supported on the dips.

I'm not saying either is better, just making the observation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

BossArky wrote: »
    Slightly off topic - I would think that decline benching 73kg would be better for me that doing dips at a bodyweight of 73kg as the weight of my arms are being supported on the dips.

I'm not saying either is better, just making the observation.

But on the other hand you're probably using more muscles to stablise yourself while doing dips than you are lying on your back doing a bench.

Advertisement