Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-01-2019, 12:15   #1
Suckit

Uploading DNA results to My Living DNA - Safe?

I got a gift of a DNA kit from AncestryDNA. The results came in, and to be honest there's no info there at all, so I am unwilling to pay for their subscription until I see something that may make it worthwhile.
I have since learned the FindMyPast may be the better site in Ireland as they have apparently got a much larger database and better information (I don't know how true this is).

So I went to the findmypast website and found that I can upload my results to My Living DNA - https://my.livingdna.com/
AncestryDNA seemed to be a bit of a scam, and after reading trustpilot reviews I am even more convinced.

Are mylivingdna similarly poor?
Trustpilot reviews are also terrible, but I have not purchased a kit from them, I would just like to upload my results to the FindMyPast website.
They just seem to be gathering data for free (Getting paid in many instances).
To be honest, I have kind of been turned off the whole thing at this point, but would like to try FindMyPast as a last ditch effort for any information, but will avoid if they are just another company with their hand out demanding payment before I get any information (other than 5th cousins in America).
Advertisement
15-01-2019, 12:59   #2
pinkypinky

Ok, first thing to say - read some of our basic stickies and other threads on DNA testing. DNA tests are a tool to help you use the traditional genealogical records. FMP probably has the largest collection of Irish records at the moment but to cover all the bases, you need to use a combination of FMP, Ancestry, Familysearch, Irishgenealogy.ie (both free) and Rootsireland.

Ancestry - nothing there? I'm not sure what you were expecting.
There should be an ethnicity result and matches (which are the main reason to test). Yes, more difficult to employ the full power of Ancestry if you don't have a subscription. If you never had one before, then avail of the 2 week free trial, just remember to cancel before it ends.

Living DNA - at the moment, they are useless. I gave them my sample in October 2017 and have some basic ethnicity results. Apparently, they are adding new people into their matching system every two weeks at present. They're not a scam but I wouldn't be bothered uploading your Ancestry results.

Very important to note that there's no need to do another test anywhere - you can download your raw data and upload to FTDNA, Gedmatch.
(2) thanks from:
15-01-2019, 13:06   #3
pinkypinky

Actually, this thread prompted me to check on my Living DNA results. I do have a match now. I know the person and he's my third cousin. Living DNA estimates he's a 5th cousin.
Thanks from:
15-01-2019, 13:23   #4
Suckit

Thanks, It wasn't that I thought they were/are a scam, just that the reviews are very one sided and had me doubting.

I was expecting something on ancestry. Anything .
I haven't tried the free trial yet, was hoping to get some more information before trying that, but I will.

I'll also check out the stickies and the other sites, thanks.
I'll look at Gedmatch and FTDNA.
Thanks from:
15-01-2019, 17:27   #5
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suckit View Post
The results came in, and to be honest there's no info there at all...
When you say no info what do you mean?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-01-2019, 20:33   #6
Suckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
When you say no info what do you mean?

On ancestry DNA site, A 5th-6th cousin with medium probability (USA) and a 4th-5th cousin with medium probability (Sweden).
I guess I was hoping for more results. Probably after seeing their adverts or TV programmes if I'm honest .

I thought once the results came back they would show some sort of map (not the beta map).

To be honest, the more I type, the less I am sure exactly of what I was expecting, just more than what I got. But I am looking forward to looking up the suggestions by pinkypinky above. I am home now for the evening so going to start by uploading the raw data to those two sites and creating accounts on the others.
Thanks from:
15-01-2019, 21:26   #7
GerardKeating

Send a message via ICQ to GerardKeating Send a message via AIM to GerardKeating Send a message via MSN to GerardKeating Send a message via Yahoo to GerardKeating Send a message via Skype™ to GerardKeating
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
Actually, this thread prompted me to check on my Living DNA results. I do have a match now. I know the person and he's my third cousin. Living DNA estimates he's a 5th cousin.
As several recent media cases have highlighted, this can have an impact on close relatives, if the have left DNA at crime scenes, not says this might impact your family, but others might worry about it.
15-01-2019, 21:40   #8
Hermy

Quote:
On ancestry DNA site, A 5th-6th cousin with medium probability (USA) and a 4th-5th cousin with medium probability (Sweden).
I thought you meant something else by no info.
Just the two matches is a poor return all right.
Thanks from:
15-01-2019, 23:54   #9
pinkypinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardKeating View Post
As several recent media cases have highlighted, this can have an impact on close relatives, if the have left DNA at crime scenes, not says this might impact your family, but others might worry about it.
Er, what?

I'm well aware of the recent cases.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-01-2019, 15:56   #10
srmf5

Quote:
I guess I was hoping for more results. Probably after seeing their adverts or TV programmes if I'm honest .

I thought once the results came back they would show some sort of map (not the beta map).

To be honest, the more I type, the less I am sure exactly of what I was expecting, just more than what I got. But I am looking forward to looking up the suggestions by pinkypinky above. I am home now for the evening so going to start by uploading the raw data to those two sites and creating accounts on the others.
I'm guessing you have more than just two matches in total though right? Most people get loads of matches. Are you sure your results were with AncestryDNA? They don't report matches as 5th-6th cousins or 4th-5th cousins. They report matches as 4th-6th cousins and 5th-8th cousins.

What was your ethnicity estimate out of curiosity? This should be presented as a map like the one I've attached.

Their advertising matches what you get in that you get an ethnicity estimate, including a map, and DNA matches.
Attached Images
File Type: png Updated map Ancestry.png (68.7 KB, 45 views)
Thanks from:
16-01-2019, 18:27   #11
Suckit

You are correct it is 4th - 6th cousins. No two results in total. I think we just assumed the USA relatives were more distant after speaking with my aunt.
But today I logged in and there were 3 more one 'Very High' and '54 cM across 6 segments' all are in 4th - 6th cousins.
So maybe more will appear?
My map says 100% Ireland and Scotland But doesn't have any Scottish
https://snag.gy/pA9bga.jpg
Thanks from:
16-01-2019, 18:41   #12
srmf5

Quote:
You are correct it is 4th - 6th cousins. No two results in total. I think we just assumed the USA relatives were more distant after speaking with my aunt.
But today I logged in and there were 3 more one 'Very High' and '54 cM across 6 segments' all are in 4th - 6th cousins.
So maybe more will appear?
My map says 100% Ireland and Scotland But doesn't have any Scottish
https://snag.gy/pA9bga.jpg
That's very strange that you only have three matches. I have 580 pages of matches and since there's 50 matches per page, that gives me 29,000 matches with the first 8 pages (400 matches) all ranging from my mum to 4th-6th cousins.

To me, that seems like some sort of error on Ancestry's part but maybe if you just received these results, the rest of your matches will come in with time. Maybe they released your ethnicity estimate before having all your matches ready or something like that.

For you to be placed in three genetic communities, I would have thought that you would have needed lots of matches who were also a part of these communities. For example, I have a 'very likely connection' to 'North Connacht', 'West Roscommon & East Mayo', and 'West Roscommon, East Mayo & North Galway' because I have over 1,000 matches in all of these communities. 'South Sligo & North Roscommon' is only a 'possible connection' because I only have 871 matches in that community (<1000).

With regards to the map, the Ireland and Scotland region does extend into most of Scotland.

Last edited by srmf5; 16-01-2019 at 18:49.
Thanks from:
16-01-2019, 19:22   #13
Ipso

Just 3, I have 8,500 matches at MyHeritage DNA (I take them with a grain of salt).
Thanks from:
18-01-2019, 10:24   #14
upupup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardKeating View Post
Are you worried about something?
18-01-2019, 10:38   #15
Suckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
Just 3, I have 8,500 matches at MyHeritage DNA (I take them with a grain of salt).

My mother logged in last night and she texted me this morning that there are more people in it now. She said about 10 - 14..
I think she meant extra, as she wasn't sure how many were there after the last day. I'm going to check it when I get home, hopefully more added then too. But I doubt it will be 8,500 , but at least more appearing

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion