Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Options

Comments

marno21 wrote: »
    Tender issued by Iarnrod Eireann for consultants to undertake a financial/economic appraisal and business case for Phases 2/3 of the Western Rail Corridor:

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=136152

So half a million to placate Canney with a report that is either going to say the exact same thing as all the other reports (it's pointless to extend the line) or will contain some wording that will not allow for the line to be extended but also will not allow for it to be used for anything else

What a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

So half a million to placate Canney with a report that is either going to say the exact same thing as all the other reports (it's pointless to extend the line) or will contain some wording that will not allow for the line to be extended but also will not allow for it to be used for anything else

What a farce

And on and on it goes. The Metrolink plan in Dublin is just the same, despite being at least a decent idea overall its a reinvention of the wheel all over again. Politicians being involved in public transport can be a very destructive and negative entity. That said some politicians can do it right, But not in Ireland. I'm only still subscribed to some threads for a laugh.

Athenry - Tuam will reopen as a railway, if we have a change of Government. I can sense it. Its like a Jedi Knight thing. Seriously lads, its on the way. not that I agree with it. I don't. Give it a few years and we will see the WRC getting further than a Metro ion Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

What a farce

Round and round the merry-go-round we go again........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Grandeeod wrote: »
    And on and on it goes. The Metrolink plan in Dublin is just the same, despite being at least a decent idea overall its a reinvention of the wheel all over again. Politicians being involved in public transport can be a very destructive and negative entity. That said some politicians can do it right, But not in Ireland. I'm only still subscribed to some threads for a laugh.

Athenry - Tuam will reopen as a railway, if we have a change of Government. I can sense it. Its like a Jedi Knight thing. Seriously lads, its on the way. not that I agree with it. I don't. Give it a few years and we will see the WRC getting further than a Metro ion Dublin.
    Maybe if Sinn Fein form the next government, when they can use their old pal 'general taxation' to pay for it.
    That's about the only hope for funding any more of this white elephant, but a SF government would do it all right. After all, the original Derry-Limerick (via sligo, as distinct from the existing route) rail proposal is reputed to have come from the 'refugees' who moved from Derry to Shannon during the troubles and brought their own peculiar brand of politics with them. It seems that a lot of them wished there was a train that would allow them to visit their mammies from time to time, and ultimately that 'train ' of thought gave us the 'western arc' nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

eastwest wrote: »
    Maybe if Sinn Fein form the next government, when they can use their old pal 'general taxation' to pay for it.
    That's about the only hope for funding any more of this white elephant, but a SF government would do it all right. After all, the original Derry-Limerick (via sligo, as distinct from the existing route) rail proposal is reputed to have come from the 'refugees' who moved from Derry to Shannon during the troubles and brought their own peculiar brand of politics with them. It seems that a lot of them wished there was a train that would allow them to visit their mammies from time to time, and ultimately that 'train ' of thought gave us the 'western arc' nonsense.

Ooh, I do love a good ole’ Conspiracy Theory with unattributable ‘it seems’. Can we have a ‘FURY as...’ just for completeness sake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Grandeeod wrote: »

Bring it on - right through to Londonderry. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Bring it on - right through to Londonderry. :D

Yip- A bullet train all the way down to Londonkerry.

Ooh, I do love a good ole’ Conspiracy Theory with unattributable ‘it seems’. Can we have a ‘FURY as...’ just for completeness sake?
    Well, the wrc proposal hardly came from a process of logical thinking. Or from anyone with access to census data on population spread.
    Unless 'they have the DART up in dublin' constitutes a basis for planning decisions.

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Yip- A bullet train all the way down to Londonkerry.

Ah, ya can't say 'bullet' when yer talking about sf/wot.
    It would go down a bomb with them all right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Ah, ya can't say 'bullet' when yer talking about sf/wot.
    It would go down a bomb with them all right though.

Mind you with a hard border post Brexit it would at least give the SF/WOT military wing the chance to close down a cross border rail line once a week.

• Advertisement

What a farce

That's the plan, all they need is caveat in the report that states, if maybe and who knows in the future it is needed for rail then rail must remain its primary purpose.......thus stopping the army of people in Galway East now clamouring for a greenway....West on Track will do everything within their power vested in Canney, Kyne and O'Cuiv to make sure this report delivers what they want. A wooly promise of sometime in the future....mark my words they will do this.

More good news piling in from East Galway as now both Tuam and Athenry cllrs vote to support a feasibility study on Quiet Man Greenway.

here is the link to the Tuam news story GBFM still to report on Athenry

https://galwaybayfm.ie/tuam-councillors-support-motion-seeking-quiet-man-greenway-study/

Tuam Councillors support motion for feasibility study for the Quiet Man Greenway

https://galwaybayfm.ie/tuam-councillors-support-motion-seeking-quiet-man-greenway-study/

Good coverage of the Tuam and Athenry area council meetings confirming that the application for greenway funding to department of transport will be for the closed railway route. These motions were passed to ensure the anti-tourism cllrs who don't want to see the Quiet Man Greenway on the only route possible didn't try and pull a fast one (again) by trying to ensure the feasibility study request was for a different route.

The application is now copper fastened for a greenway on the closed railway route from Athenry to Milltown.

https://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/10/12/4163484-council-to-seek-funding-for-quiet-man-greenway-study/

westtip wrote: »
    Good coverage of the Tuam and Athenry area council meetings confirming that the application for greenway funding to department of transport will be for the closed railway route. These motions were passed to ensure the anti-tourism cllrs who don't want to see the Quiet Man Greenway on the only route possible didn't try and pull a fast one (again) by trying to ensure the feasibility study request was for a different route.

The application is now copper fastened for a greenway on the closed railway route from Athenry to Milltown.

https://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/10/12/4163484-council-to-seek-funding-for-quiet-man-greenway-study/
    People power always wins out. Councillors had to weigh up their electoral chances against their expenses on the inter-county rail committee and their loyalty to the railway club.
    The possibility of being thrown off the gravy train always focuses minds.

People power always wins out. Councillors had to weigh up their electoral chances against their expenses on the inter-county rail committee and their loyalty to the railway club.
    The possibility of being thrown off the gravy train always focuses minds.

Hopefully for the handful of those who really let the side down at the September meeting the game is up and people will remember, there needs to be a cutting out of the poisonous ones who tried to stitch up the people in September, thankfully the months grace of October before the submission is made in November gave the pro-tourism pro-jobs cllrs the chance to do a good job to get the situation back from the brink, plus I don't think the county executive were too pleased about how the anti-tourism cllrs had dragged the reputation of Galway coco through the mire last month, but people need to make sure this is remembered at the ballot box next May

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

I don't think the county executive were too pleased about how the anti-tourism cllrs had dragged the reputation of Galway coco through the mire last month
    The county executive decided to comply with the democratic decision of Galway County Council and apply for funding for a feasibility study on the Athenry->Milltown route, which is well defined.

The county executive did not decide to apply for a feasibility study into every single possible Greenway route in the whole county, with infinite possibilities of start and end routes - a study which would never have received funding. This of course was known by those who proposed it.

The council executive decided to translate the wishes of the council into actionable items - not to engage in fanciful imaginings.

serfboard wrote: »

The council executive decided to translate the wishes of the council into actionable items - not to engage in fanciful imaginings.

Lest the people of Galway East forget those in the public gallery watched as those who hatched the plan sat chuckling and laughing in the chamber at how they thought they had stitched up the cllrs who have the best interests of Tuam and Athenry in mind. Thank goodness the council executive did not put up with the fanciful imaginations that were little short of sabotage at the September council meeting.

In the meantime there is only one story in the local media another local paper here reporting on the issue.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/103707/opposition-to-quiet-man-greenway-is-dwindling-says-cannon?fbclid=IwAR1reWo7Xq3A5OQqOao1d6ZWCXH5hTzrPE-vw1YJ0Qad3ZzDIaF8o8pAvjs

In a bizarre move, in Tuam, the access to the disused line has been fenced off 42 years after the last train but mere weeks after 3,000 people marched down it to show support for a greenway on the disused line

It's still to be determined if it was put up by IE or Galway County Council or someone else

464472.jpg

464473.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I thought that Athenry/Claremorris remains classified as an engineer's siding and I am puzzled by the tarring over of the tracks rather than the fence. Anyway, IE should pursue all those who walked down the tracks for trespass - the fines could go towards the reopening costs. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I thought that Athenry/Claremorris remains classified as an engineer's siding and I am puzzled by the tarring over of the tracks rather than the fence. Anyway, IE should pursue all those who walked down the tracks for trespass - the fines could go towards the reopening costs. :D

The three crossings on the N17 north of Tuam have also been tarmaced in the past year

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That fence is a great use of public funds :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

That fence is a great use of public funds :rolleyes:

Very little evidence of anyone in the rail lobby caring much about public funds in this whole debate. The money thrown at Kiltimagh is a disgrace, and nothing to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

and I am puzzled by the tarring over of the tracks rather than the fence.

Nothing a crowbar and shovel couldn't clear in a couple of minutes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Anyway, IE should pursue all those who walked down the tracks for trespass - the fines could go towards the reopening costs. :D
    A simple €2 toll per pedestrian access would net IR substantially more than they do on the Ennis - Athenry leg of the way and with zero emmisions. They could have made a tidy €6,000 on one famous day on September.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Council would tar over your foot if it was in the way. No great mystery there. The fence was put up no doubt after the greenway followers little stunt with a few shovels of gravel and their presumption that it was a public thoroughfare for all and sundry.

The fence was put up no doubt after the greenway followers little stunt with a few shovels of gravel and their presumption that it was a public thoroughfare for all and sundry.

See now, this is what happens when someone starts spouting off without knowing the whole story, they end up looking foolish

Tuam Tidy Towns contacted IE and got permission for the works they completed to improve the town for the competiton.

As for the fence....

The fencing has been put up on a different section and was put upon by the County Council as part of road improvement works.

As it turns out, They had already agreed to leave pedestrian access but this was omitted in error during the installation. A panel is being removed to restore access until something more permanent is added

Council would tar over your foot if it was in the way. No great mystery there. The fence was put up no doubt after the greenway followers little stunt with a few shovels of gravel and their presumption that it was a public thoroughfare for all and sundry.
    A bit like the wot stunt of replacing the stolen track in Kiltimagh using the excuse that they were going to run a pedalo up and down it until the funding ran out. Not quite a train, but if you half closed your eyes and made chuff-chuffing noises......

Very little evidence of anyone in the rail lobby caring much about public funds in this whole debate. The money thrown at Kiltimagh is a disgrace, and nothing to show for it.

Yep €300,000 - lets put that in writing Three Hundred Thousand Euro thrown at a project by Minister Ring, with No Planning permission (apparently not required according to Mayo coco), very little public support, no public consultation and no hope of success......and by the way even after €300,000 has already been spent on this project (The Velo-Rail project), there is nothing yet to show for it, despite the fact the original proposal to Minister Rings department said the whole project would cost €200,000.

Somebody needs to be asking some serious questions......Oh apparently they are!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Three Hundred Thousand Euro thrown at a project by Minister Ring, with No Planning permission (apparently not required according to Mayo coco), very little public support
    Was there not a thousand people marching around the town looking for it?

Oh no, I must be mixing it up with somewhere else ... ;)

Advertisement