Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail jobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

MrFitz1984 wrote: »
    then the daunting competence interview in front of the panel of 3.

Congrats for getting that far! I've attended all the assessments in Inchicore, got the invite for last minute medicals but too late to reply, haven't gotten any rejection email over the last two days so as far as I reckon I am still in the running....

Do you know which sections of IR the 'gang of 3' on the interview panel were from?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

Only read the last few pages of this thread cos it’s long! But I got an email last Friday (15th Feb) asking if I was available for interviews for Thursday 21st. I replied of course, and got an email back with my time slot. I attended the two interviews yesterday, the 16pf questions with the lovely Danielle (who is sound to be fair), then the daunting competence interview in front of the panel of 3. It was tough, and whoever gets hired by these guys absolutely deserves it for all the hoops we’re having to jump through here! Haven’t done medical yet, but my BMI is a safe 23.5 (I’m 6’ and 35yo). Continued best of luck to those still in the hunt.

Well done. Just curious how long did the interview go on for and what was the position of the 3rd person? I was informed of two people who would be on the panel for mine, there wasn't an indication of a 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

blueband wrote: »
    Well done. Just curious how long did the interview go on for and what was the position of the 3rd person? I was informed of two people who would be on the panel for mine, there wasn't an indication of a 3rd

just curious, what date did you get your interview invite and for what date?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MrFitz1984

One was the “traction manager”, one was the HR manager and I honestly can’t remember where the 3rd person was from, my brain was fried by the end of the interview. All in all, I was interviewing for a combined total of about 2 hours, so you can imagine the cranial fatigue by the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭blueband

One was the “traction manager”, one was the HR manager and I honestly can’t remember where the 3rd person was from, my brain was fried by the end of the interview. All in all, I was interviewing for a combined total of about 2 hours, so you can imagine the cranial fatigue by the end of it!

Yeah, did a 2.5 hour pan-atlantic video interview a while back, not easy. I suspect that's part of the process, assess how well you can keep the brain ticking over under sustained concentration. 3rd person would be the District Manager. I thought maybe the unmentioned 3rd person could be HR so you've confirmed my thoughts. Thanks and hope you did well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MrFitz1984

Yeah, did a 2.5 hour pan-atlantic video interview a while back, not easy. I suspect that's part of the process, assess how well you can keep the brain ticking over under sustained concentration. 3rd person would be the District Manager. I thought maybe the unmentioned 3rd person could be HR so you've confirmed my thoughts. Thanks and hope you did well

I believe I done well, and I wasn’t too intimidated by the 3 person panel, because I have done several over the last few years while working for the HSE. But if you’re not used to them, they can be a little overwhelming!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I believe I done well, and I wasn’t too intimidated by the 3 person panel, because I have done several over the last few years while working for the HSE. But if you’re not used to them, they can be a little overwhelming!

I might send them off an E-mail or if I could find a phone number for them because I passed the medical on the 4th of the month and heard nothing since.

Definitely passed because I got the CMO to confirm for me.

Since they said those who passed medical would be first up for interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ais123

I might send them off an E-mail or if I could find a phone number for them because I passed the medical on the 4th of the month and heard nothing since.

Definitely passed because I got the CMO to confirm for me.

Since they said those who passed medical would be first up for interviews.

I wouldn’t worry, seems like they’re contacting people at diff times, for the interviews the following week.

There was someone on here two days ago who was contacted the day before for an interview next Thursday/fri but they couldn’t go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Ais123 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t worry, seems like they’re contacting people at diff times, for the interviews the following week.

There was someone on here two days ago who was contacted the day before for an interview next Thursday/fri but they couldn’t go.

I dunno I mean it's 3 weeks now

I seen here someone who didn't do a medical got an invite for interviews

I'll get in touch with them on Monday I think

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Toashty91

Only read the last few pages of this thread cos it’s long! But I got an email last Friday (15th Feb) asking if I was available for interviews for Thursday 21st. I replied of course, and got an email back with my time slot. I attended the two interviews yesterday, the 16pf questions with the lovely Danielle (who is sound to be fair), then the daunting competence interview in front of the panel of 3. It was tough, and whoever gets hired by these guys absolutely deserves it for all the hoops we’re having to jump through here! Haven’t done medical yet, but my BMI is a safe 23.5 (I’m 6’ and 35yo). Continued best of luck to those still in the hunt.

Just wondering what the competence interview is like, I've never done a really formal interview or panel interview, only really casual relaxed chats really. What did the competence interview involve, I don't know what to expect at all, any help would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 jackdelaney93

Ive heard absolutely nothing since doing the online assessments. Applied for Cork depot. Anyone from Cork heat anything at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Deedsie wrote: »
    Still no emails since online phase 2. Obviously a good thing not to have received an unsuccessful email but concerned my application may just have been lost etc. I never received the 4 to 6 week email.

I apllied for Limerick. No idea if I am still in the running.

Best of luck to all who are moving forward with their applications

I'm in the exact same boat as yourself. No communication whatsoever, good or bad, since completing the stage 2 online assessments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Morby wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat as yourself. No communication whatsoever, good or bad, since completing the stage 2 online assessments.

I know of a few who got the not successful email last week. Some who already have the European train drivers licence

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I know of a few who got the not successful email last week. Some who already have the European train drivers licence

wow, that's something... did they attend Inchicore or just the online tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Did you also apply for Limerick?

No, Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

So has anyone had a successful email that applied outside Dublin? Seem to be all unsuccessful so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Its clear there are no vacancies outside Dublin available this year so they will likely open applications next year and refer back to selected candiates from this round.

Poor form to mislead people and wasting there time. Overall the approch from HR is a mess just like there daily operations....

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Its clear there are no vacancies outside Dublin available this year so they will likely open applications next year and refer back to selected candiates from this round.

Poor form to mislead people and wasting there time. Overall the approch from HR is a mess just like there daily operations....

There are vacancies this year outside Dublin but the pressing need initially is Dublin for the first 2 diesel classes I’m told. There are 3 diesel classes planned this year the 3rd class will have non Dublin vacancies.Dont know about DART.

The initial recruitment was for 100 vacancies over 5 years but I’d put my house on it at the rate drivers are going out of the grade they’ll have to do at 150 recruits by the time the 5 years is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There are vacancies this year outside Dublin but the pressing need initially is Dublin for the first 2 diesel classes I’m told. There are 3 diesel classes planned this year the 3rd class will have non Dublin vacancies.Dont know about DART.

The initial recruitment was for 100 vacancies over 5 years but I’d put my house on it at the rate drivers are going out of the grade they’ll have to do at 150 recruits by the time the 5 years is up.

Going out by retirement or other reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Going out by retirement or other reasons?

Retirement, removal and illness the second reason being the major factor recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Out of curiosity, anyone who did NOT apply for Dublin get through the second round at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

Got the bullet in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

ColdTurkey wrote: »
    Got the bullet in Waterford

Do you mind me asking when you got the email? Just wondering if theyare still sending out unsuccesful emails today/this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

mario84s wrote: »
    wow, that's something... did they attend Inchicore or just the online tests?

Online. They already know all the routes as well and previously done passed the driving course a number of years ago in inchicore.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Online. They already know all the routes as well and previously done passed the driving course a number of years ago in inchicore.

why did they not become driver few years ago if they passed the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

Do you mind me asking when you got the email? Just wondering if theyare still sending out unsuccesful emails today/this week?

Got it on 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Melanie1990

From the sounds of it they've sent the non-successful emails out to those who sat in Dublin.

I sat on Feb 15th in Inchicore, believe it could have been the very last slot, haven't heard anything back yet, hoping this is a good sign. Has anyone in Dublin that sat at the latter end of the assessment phase been called for interview/medical?

From the sounds of it they've sent the non-successful emails out to those who sat in Dublin.

I sat on Feb 15th in Inchicore, believe it could have been the very last slot, haven't heard anything back yet, hoping this is a good sign. Has anyone in Dublin that sat at the latter end of the assessment phase been called for interview/medical?

i'm in same boat, haven't heard anything yet, but girl from HR did say wouldn't get anything until near the end of month. here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Melanie1990

mario84s wrote: »
    i'm in same boat, haven't heard anything yet, but girl from HR did say wouldn't get anything until near the end of month. here's hoping.

I thought that might be the case, seeing as it was one of (if not the) last phase in Dublin. Fingers crossed so, and best of luck to yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I already knew it but going by what the guy said on here about being rejected based on his BMI, that's me out too. Is there any point in me doing an interview/medical.......

Ah well!

Advertisement