Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Station closes after landslide!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

"Temporary" arrangements while they decide what to do with the cliff face.

The main driver behind these changes is to get rid of the temporary signalling arrangements which have been in force since Janurary. There is now a single line (over the former down main) to platform 5 at Waterford. This is fitted with axle counters so the manual staff & scotching / clipping of points + handsignal men can be done away with.

The line to Belview can now only be accessed from the Freight Yard.

I heard rumours of a platform extension to take 6ICR but heard nothing official as such yet.
    This post has been deleted.

Yes it has, sad to see but current traffic levels can cope with it. It also had to be done to get away from the degraded signalling which existed since the rockfall. Rolling Stock is stabled in the freight yard when stabling.

The Wanderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

isn't all this just going to complicate movements in and around the waterford area?

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

How? One train every two(ish) hours roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Rodge2012

I made the report on Facebook in regards to the changes, here's the photo

Rodge2012 wrote: »
    I made the report on Facebook in regards to the changes, here's the photo

Thank you for the photo as I had yet to see the physical changes, I had only seen the new diagram. What I suspected is right. Only the point blades have been removed. Easy enough to reinstate should the need (hopefully) arise.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the photo as I had yet to see the physical changes, I had only seen the new diagram. What I suspected is right. Only the point blades have been removed. Easy enough to reinstate should the need (hopefully) arise.

No prob, fingers crossed that it'll happen here's a closer pic of the other set

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I heard rumours of a platform extension to take 6ICR but heard nothing official as such yet.

Call a spade a spade here, this is exactly what will happen as the main platform won't open to passengers again. They don't have the money and the Government are hardly going to provide the full costs.

You do wonder why freight services can run by the cliff but passenger ones can't. Yes I know there is probably safety concerns but they can't be major ones if they allow running services.

One positive is that the new arraignments have a small benefit to Dublin services and not the delay caused when crossing after West cabin but that just moves to Limerick J service more less.

As for the future of the station which is in IE's hands, 3 months have passed by they must have something decided by now.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Call a spade a spade here, this is exactly what will happen as the main platform won't open to passengers again.
    your probably right
    They don't have the money and the Government are hardly going to provide the full costs.
    wouldn't it not be cheeper to reopen a platform that as far as i know was originally to be only temporarily closed rather then extending another?
    You do wonder why freight services can run by the cliff but passenger ones can't. Yes I know there is probably safety concerns but they can't be major ones if they allow running services.
    come on now jamie!!!!!!!!!!! CIE logic, you know this so you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    One positive is that the new arraignments have a small benefit to Dublin services and not the delay caused when crossing after West cabin but that just moves to Limerick J service more less.
    well i'd bet the limerick service will be stolen from the communities it serves eventually, so it shouldn't be a worry for irish rail.
    As for the future of the station which is in IE's hands, 3 months have passed by they must have something decided by now.
    god only knows

There's a lot of relaying work about to start south of abbey junction, the new track is beside the running line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

"Temporary" arrangements while they decide what to do with the cliff face.

The main driver behind these changes is to get rid of the temporary signalling arrangements which have been in force since Janurary. There is now a single line (over the former down main) to platform 5 at Waterford. This is fitted with axle counters so the manual staff & scotching / clipping of points + handsignal men can be done away with.

The line to Belview can now only be accessed from the Freight Yard.

Yes it has, sad to see but current traffic levels can cope with it. It also had to be done to get away from the degraded signalling which existed since the rockfall. Rolling Stock is stabled in the freight yard when stabling.

The Wanderer.
    And that was a party political broadcast on behalf of__________ (insert as applicable)............:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Someone on the same Facebook posts alluded to made a reference to Dr Beeching of the UK, saying "I don't need my arm today, so I'll chop it off". I don't see many armless people in CIÉ/IÉ, just harmful ones.............

Will anything get put back ? Revisit this post in 12 months and surprise me.

It's sadly the end of useful railway operations in Waterford. Like Barnstaple and Fishguard in the UK and Rosslare and Galway and Tralee here (amongst many more) where useful railways recently used to go, they're all now left as useless dead end stubs through short term thinking.

cbl593h wrote: »
    Someone on the same Facebook posts alluded to made a reference to Dr Beeching of the UK, saying "I don't need my arm today, so I'll chop it off". I don't see many armless people in CIÉ/IÉ, just harmful ones.............

Will anything get put back ? Revisit this post in 12 months and surprise me.

It's sadly the end of useful railway operations in Waterford. Like Barnstaple and Fishguard in the UK and Rosslare and Galway and Tralee here (amongst many more) where useful railways recently used to go, they're all now left as useless dead end stubs through short term thinking.
    and i'm sure more will be stolen from the people for some reason (seeing as everyone realized the likes of marples beeching and possibly andrews had interests in road haulage and all 3 couldn't care a less about the viability of the railway) . the difference is the UK are where possible undoing the mistakes, ireland, well you know the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cbl593h wrote: »
    And that was a party political broadcast on behalf of__________ (insert as applicable)............:mad:
    Play nice

Was talking to a staff member earlier today and was told that they main platform will hopefully reopen however no time line is currently known.

From looking at the signalling works taking place it appears that 3 lines will be operated (or available for use) into the station.

1 - Bay Platform(s) (if second bay is reconnected)
    2 - Main platform
    3 - Beside Main platform line

The crossover half way down main platform has being taken out however looks like it may be a replacement and they have signalling still in place. It was never used so not really necessary either way.

The station yard doesn't look like it will lose much if anything, there will be around 6 sidings and that will increase once the last 2 coaches of the Mark 3s are gone however I suspect they may be removed as they are not needed and the lines don't look in great condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 John Denver

Was talking to a staff member earlier today and was told that they main platform will hopefully reopen however no time line is currently known.

From looking at the signalling works taking place it appears that 3 lines will be operated (or available for use) into the station.

1 - Bay Platform(s) (if second bay is reconnected)
    2 - Main platform
    3 - Beside Main platform line

The crossover half way down main platform has being taken out however looks like it may be a replacement and they have signalling still in place. It was never used so not really necessary either way.

The station yard doesn't look like it will lose much if anything, there will be around 6 sidings and that will increase once the last 2 coaches of the Mark 3s are gone however I suspect they may be removed as they are not needed and the lines don't look in great condition.

The second bay platform (the one closest to the the car park) cannot be used for passenger traffic as the platform on that bay does not have the correct paving and can only be used as a storage siding.

The second bay platform (the one closest to the the car park) cannot be used for passenger traffic as the platform on that bay does not have the correct paving and can only be used as a storage siding.

It was always used before the problems. The 07.20 to Limerick J and 20.20 arrival used it, however as you say it primarily used for storage of trains.

Mind you those trains probably had no passengers on them anyway!

Some movements on the main platform situation currently taking place. Possibly building some defense along the rock face. Its just the main running line at the platform currently in place.

I overheard but unconfirmed the main signal box structure may be moved slightly away from the rock. They have dug up the platform beside it. Assume the structure beside the rock isn't very secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I've heard very loud talk that they plan on moving the station soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jimbo1977

Platform extension on 5 is started now. No plans to move the station despite the various reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭91wx763

man98 wrote: »
    I've heard very loud talk that they plan on moving the station soon...

Announced today a €300 million development of North Quays and Michael Street Waterford including the resiting of the station to the location of the former East Cabin with a pedestrian footbridge potentially including a light rail to the Clock Tower. http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/106906-saudi-arabias-largest-operator-of-shopping-malls-expresses-interest-in-two-sites-in-waterford.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

91wx763 wrote: »
    Announced today a €300 million development of North Quays and Michael Street Waterford including the resiting of the station to the location of the former East Cabin with a pedestrian footbridge potentially including a light rail to the Clock Tower. http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/106906-saudi-arabias-largest-operator-of-shopping-malls-expresses-interest-in-two-sites-in-waterford.html

Can't see the news item.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭jelutong

Waterford Whispers??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

expression of interest and the announcement of such a scheme are not the same thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

100% legit. Station being moved into giant shopping centre.

ClovenHoof wrote: »

correct. there will be no trains, no track, no platforms though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did someone go to Utrecht before the rebuild and somehow think it was a good idea?

I would be confident it will go ahead, however it will be Goverment funding of 60-70 million that will be required to fund the station, new footbridge to the bus station and other infrastructural developments I can't see contracts been agreed to fully fund such developments.

Waterford City and County Council submitted an application for €61.5 million in State funding to develop infrastructure on the north quays as part of a Saudi investment deal.

The proposal outlines plans for an Integrated Transport Hub i.e the new train station location mainly. Some detail in the below link.

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/planning/TransformingWaterfordReport2017.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Waterford City and County Council submitted an application for €61.5 million in State funding to develop infrastructure on the north quays as part of a Saudi investment deal.

The proposal outlines plans for an Integrated Transport Hub i.e the new train station location mainly. Some detail in the below link.

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/planning/TransformingWaterfordReport2017.pdf

That's an excellent plan. The station is in a useless location. The move is a wim win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

That's an excellent plan. The station is in a useless location. The move is a wim win.

The present station is directly opposite the Redmond/Rice bridge. Short of building a rail bridge across the Suir, it is the closest possible location to the city centre.

The proposed transport interchange hub on the North Quay sounds good in principle, but unless it is accompanied by a new bridge to the centre, it would be a much longer walk.

The document mentions a new bridge as "proposed" and "future", it is not part of the core plan.

Advertisement