Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dublin Coach Experience

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

They have since been getting a number of new ones and putting them on the Belfast run as they are in a huge war with the first group Aircoach.

Indeed, they put brand new Tourismos on the Belfast route in 2017 when they launched against Aircoach and then replaced them with newer ones in 2018 and there is already talk of replacements soon.

The kind of timetable and competition they are running against Aircoach, 5 minutes behind them from Belfast from the same stop, the same time from Dublin City, would not be allowed on a domestic Irish route.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I was talking to a local bus operator last year through work, he bought a few King Longs a few years ago and has mostly good stuff to say about them, he wouldn’t be nearly as demanding on buses with his line of work as Dublin Coach, but apart from some issues with exterior lights he said they’d been fine.

The ones I have been on, have been shocking from a passenger point of view.

Seats clearly designed with short Chinese people in mind with terrible seat pitch, lots of tacky looking lights and leds that just look naff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I was talking to a local bus operator last year through work, he bought a few King Longs a few years ago and has mostly good stuff to say about them, he wouldn’t be nearly as demanding on buses with his line of work as Dublin Coach, but apart from some issues with exterior lights he said they’d been fine.
    The one DC has is in bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The 1st batch were used for city tours and this brought a huge tax break with using them this way.

They were fairly quickly taken off their tour work and replaced with 03 open tops. So much for "Luxury Sightseeing"

Stephen15 wrote: »
    They were fairly quickly taken off their tour work and replaced with 03 open tops. So much for "Luxury Sightseeing"

After 12 months this was the tax break I mentioned.

He was able to get them on the cheap then of course.

They ran empty most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Was this these guys?

https://www.dublinlive.ie/live-updates-bus-bursts-huge-15723947?fbclid=IwAR2pwG96ULBF9c2j0M83nNnQkHTRgu-ckL7NPdt9HWbwFvRjBvG5vqFYeno
    Emergency services have rushed to the scene just outside the Halfway House pub a video shows huge flames engulfing the bus.

The bus is reported to be a coach and not a Dublin Bus or Go-Ahead vehicle.

It was a swords express coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

spotted another one broken down on the m9 hard shoulder the other day.
    Never travelled with them but this thread has convinced me to not consider them an option ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Another day another breakdown.... Nangor Road, just yards from the base

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

spotted another one broken down on the m9 hard shoulder the other day.
    Never travelled with them but this thread has convinced me to not consider them an option ever.

THIS.....

Someone whose only experience of private operator public transport is this crowd and a clapped out 2004 Setra will likely be anti privatisation of public bus/coach travel.

They are unlikely to buy into the idea that a different company like Callinan, or Bernard Kavanagh could deliver quality transport options.

Edit - going forward the challenge for public transport is showing it can be an attractive travel option for the people currently travelling in their cars.

In this regard - Dublin Coach are not really delivering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Another day another breakdown.... Nangor Road, just yards from the base

Appears this breakdown is outside Diaggio, am I right? If so, litwerally on their own doorstep.

DC are both a joke and an embarassment to public transport in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭patrickc

This was on their facebook page earlier, has anyone an idea what was going on?

Dear customers

Due a serious incident at Red Cow, all our services are being delayed at the moment.
    Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

patrickc wrote: »

Dear customers

Due a serious incident at Red Cow, all our services are being delayed at the moment.
    There was a truck that lost its load which was scaffolding poles.

Them there were crashes in places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

patrickc wrote: »

Dear customers

What time was that at? I walked past their depot at 10 and the Luas depot at 10:30 pm and didn’t notice anything.

What time was that at? I walked past their depot at 10 and the Luas depot at 10:30 pm and didn’t notice anything.

See my post above, traffic was absolutely nuts, lanes closed etc..... This time it wasn't one of their buses on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

There was a truck that lost its load which was scaffolding poles.

Them there were crashes in places too.

These guys should be severely fined for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Talking to drivers that have worked for them it seems as a driver for Dublin Coach if you have an accident they will charge the driver €1000 to cover for damage. How on earth they get drivers to work for them I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

soundman45 wrote: »
    Talking to drivers that have worked for them it seems as a driver for Dublin Coach if you have an accident they will charge the driver €1000 to cover for damage. How on earth they get drivers to work for them I have no idea.

IF the 'company' does fine their drivers a grand ( & I have no reason to doubt You OP ), this makes me wonder how the 'drivers' drive the way they do with this '€1,000 umbrella' hanging over their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

141 KE King long arrived Friday all in clean white.
    Just waiting for the cans of spray paint to come through ebay before they strip it down and paint it on the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

...__... wrote: »
    141 KE King long arrived Friday all in clean white.
    Just waiting for the cans of spray paint to come through ebay before they strip it down and paint it on the road :)

They seem to have two of these white ones. There’s one sitting outside the depot with it’s panels all open for the past week and another is doing the rounds from outside the Luas station. Also have a navy one doing the rounds. Not sure if they have it hired from someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Joegriffin2019

Competition from JJ Kavanagh on the way, all be it from Naas to Dublin.... hopefully this will force Dublin Coach to up their game.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/new-24-hour-bus-service-go-head-head-naas-green-bus/267192?fbclid=IwAR2UGJWeAdV0NCLWMxbqR6QZzhe9IttcnJSaR9BndMtnBKufhyS2CIlWlfY

Timetable below, on the hour with coaches every half hour during peak periods, 10 euro one way Naas-Airport and 5 Euro Naas to Dublin City.

https://ticketbooking.jjkavanagh.ie/PromoPDF/Naas.pdf

Competition from JJ Kavanagh on the way, all be it from Naas to Dublin.... hopefully this will force Dublin Coach to up their game.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/new-24-hour-bus-service-go-head-head-naas-green-bus/267192?fbclid=IwAR2UGJWeAdV0NCLWMxbqR6QZzhe9IttcnJSaR9BndMtnBKufhyS2CIlWlfY

Timetable below, on the hour with coaches every half hour during peak periods, 10 euro one way Naas-Airport and 5 Euro Naas to Dublin City.

You will most likely see them throw resources at the route now, special offers and suchlike, and also newer vehicles, which they haven't done in years.

Although saying that it only goes head to head with them for some of the route so maybe they won't. Better stop locations in Dublin though.

However wasn't the route 123 part of the Go-Ahead contract for Naas routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

123 is the number used for the relatively infrequent BE service to Newbridge via Clane, Robertstown and Kilmeague. It should not be duplicated with another route, especially not one that will have pick-up stops on the same roads.

The NTA really are a bunch of incompetent clowns.

This route is going to primarily be abstractive to the BE 126 City-Naas route which is a PSO route, what possible justification is there in licencing it?

Vic_08 wrote: »
    123 is the number used for the relatively infrequent BE service to Newbridge via Clane, Robertstown and Kilmeague. It should not be duplicated with another route, especially not one that will have pick-up stops on the same roads.

The NTA really are a bunch of incompetent clowns.

This route is going to primarily be abstractive to the BE 126 City-Naas route which is a PSO route, what possible justification is there in licencing it?

Interestingly the 123 is one of the routes that is supposed to be transferring to Go-Ahead as well and that is supposed to be a Dublin to Naas route under the proposals of what the tender involved, so that raises more questions.

The idea of having two routes with the same numbers covering almost identical areas is a bit stupid though, but maybe there is something that we are missing here, I guess we will have to wait and see.

In other news, Dublin Coach are set to start operating on a new route between Dublin Airport and Clongriffin according to what I have heard - although one has to wonder if they will cancel those plans now if they're about to get some competition on their Naas route.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I travelling from outside kk to DAP tomorrow. JJ K are charging €18 from the village to DAP. New clean and on time coach. DC are charging €15 in a clapped out xmilliin miles 04 rattle box Setra ,and I have to change busses and wait in the red cow Lucas stop. Guess who I'm travelling with.

soundman45 wrote: »

That's bonkers. Who's work under those conditions ?. Travelling on a jjk coach right now. We ore in the 60kph zone on the m8 works. Dublin coach just passed everyone,he was doing at least 90.

A Dublin coach hit a 44 in Dundrum yesterday and destroyed the side including doors and windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

They seem to have two of these white ones. There’s one sitting outside the depot with it’s panels all open for the past week and another is doing the rounds from outside the Luas station. Also have a navy one doing the rounds. Not sure if they have it hired from someone.

I had a closer look at this one really falling apart already and not even in service yet lights hanging off panels loose ya wouldnt waste the petrol to burn it out for insurance.

A Dublin coach hit a 44 in Dundrum yesterday and destroyed the side including doors and windows.

He will be driving for nothing for a while so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Any pics?

Advertisement