Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interclub Competitions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Played in this over the weekend. Only a couple of things, shame to have placing everywhere at this stage of the year but no fault of the host club for that.

Getting rid of caddies has been a resounding success.

One thing I would change however is the age grade of participants. We have 6 juveniles taking part out of a team of 10. I think this is wrong as they have their own Fred Daly to take part in and we had several club members watching on off 9/10 more than capable of taking part. This would have been the pinnacle of their golfing career for the club but were passed over in favour of talented juveniles. If these competitions were over 18 it would involve a lot more club members over juveniles.

Second thing is some people need a firm boot in the hole with their carry on. I saw one individual celebrate on a tee box when an opponent drove OOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,798 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

slingerz wrote: »
    Played in this over the weekend. Only a couple of things, shame to have placing everywhere at this stage of the year but no fault of the host club for that.

One thing I would change however is the age grade of participants. We have 6 juveniles taking part out of a team of 10. I think this is wrong as they have their own Fred Daly to take part in and we had several club members watching on off 9/10 more than capable of taking part. This would have been the pinnacle of their golfing career for the club but were passed over in favour of talented juveniles. If these competitions were over 18 it would involve a lot more club members over juveniles.

Second thing is some people need a firm boot in the hole with their carry on. I saw one individual celebrate on a tee box when an opponent drove OOB.

Your coach picked the juveniles so it was their choice, if they weren't good enough they wouldn't have been picked.

If you/or the rest of the team/club members are not happy with it you should say it to team management.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

I suppose u want anyone over 60 excluded aswell as they have their senior only events.
    players from club should be on team based on their golf not age surely.
    The I thought golf was past that type of attitude towards juniors

golfguy1 wrote: »
    I suppose u want anyone over 60 excluded aswell as they have their senior only events.
    players from club should be on team based on their golf not age surely.
    The I thought golf was past that type of attitude towards juniors

You can have another straw man if you wish.

Fact is there are a considerable majority of club playing members available to play in these competition are adults and these competitions should facilitate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Russman

Fact is there are a considerable majority of club playing members available to play in these competition are adults and these competitions should facilitate them.

Why ?

• Advertisement

You can have another straw man if you wish.

What would u say to a +2 handicap 16/17 yr old who by ur method he could not play senior cup.
    I just can't see why u would stop kids but not adults.
    If it good enough ur old enough in my opinion

What would u say to a +2 handicap 16/17 yr old who by ur method he could not play senior cup.
    I just can't see why u would stop kids but not adults.
    If it good enough ur old enough in my opinion

Much in the same way that you stop adults/older teenagers from playing Fred Daly

Much in the same way that you stop adults/older teenagers from playing Fred Daly

So, because an adult can’t play in a kids competition, a kid shouldn’t be allowed to play in a competition open to all ?

Juniors can play on senior teams in gas, soccer,rugby tennis and many others.
    Why make golf any different?

Don't think we will ever agree. I just hope for up and coming golfers at ur club ur opinion isn't agreed with by those in control of teams

Juniors can play on senior teams in gas, soccer,rugby tennis and many others.
    Why make golf any different?

Don't think we will ever agree. I just hope for up and coming golfers at ur club ur opinion isn't agreed with by those in control of teams

Juniors cannot play on GAA or rugby teams. There are specific rules surrounding such for a multitude of reasons. As you asked yourself, why make golf any different?

• Advertisement

Juniors cannot play on GAA or rugby teams. There are specific rules surrounding such for a multitude of reasons. As you asked yourself, why make golf any different?

They can. My 17 year old cousin is playing on the local senior GAA team in football and hurling.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They can. My 17 year old cousin is playing on the local senior GAA team in football and hurling.

Once he’s 17 since the beginning of the year. You don’t see many 12 year olds playing senior GAA

Once he’s 17 since the beginning of the year. You don’t see many 12 year olds playing senior GAA

Are you seriously equating golf with GAA ?
    Coz I can’t remember the last time I had to give a foresomes opponent a sly dig in the ribs before he hit a drive.

He's still a junior member though. I've never seen a 12 year old on a senior golf team either.

If the player is good enough he should be on the team no matter what age. If the the senior members were good enough they would be playing a head of the young guys, they are not so that tells its own story.

My old club won countless interclub competitions (both men and women's) with a good mix of young and old people on the same team.

Russman wrote: »
    Are you seriously equating golf with GAA ?
    Coz I can’t remember the last time I had to give a foresomes opponent a sly dig in the ribs before he hit a drive.

Not at all a different poster made that comparison

He's still a junior member though. I've never seen a 12 year old on a senior golf team either.

If the player is good enough he should be on the team no matter what age. If the the senior members were good enough they would be playing a head of the young guys, they are not so that tells its own story.

My old club won countless interclub competitions (both men and women's) with a good mix of young and old people on the same team.

Playing with a 12 year old is not much fun for an adult and for me does not entice me to represent my club in such a competition.

Playing with a 12 year old is not much fun for an adult and for me does not entice me to represent my club in such a competition.

Was there a 12 year old on your team?

If this is your attitude to other team members I don't think you'd be much loss to the club teams and team morale may improve without your negativity.

Do u agree with juniors playing In adult club comps or should they stick to the junior comps aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

If you're good enough - you're old enough. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I was asked to play Pierce Purcell by my club this year.

1) I'm only a distant member - Is this ok?
    2) Only got my handicap in September 2017 ( didn't have GUI handicap before this for years)
    3) Only played 1 normal comp in 2017

Doesn't sound like I'm eligible - Can someone confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

callaway92 wrote: »
    I was asked to play Pierce Purcell by my club this year.

1) I'm only a distant member - Is this ok?
    2) Only got my handicap in September 2017 ( didn't have GUI handicap before this for years)
    3) Only played 1 normal comp in 2017

Doesn't sound like I'm eligible - Can someone confirm?

You need to have completed 4 qualifying competitions during the previous calendar year (2017).

Just my personal opinion but I also don't think distance members should be allowed to play in inter-club events.

Was there a 12 year old on your team?

If this is your attitude to other team members I don't think you'd be much loss to the club teams and team morale may improve without your negativity.

i was paired with a 12 year old which isnt great company through no fault of the 12 year old but once you cover school and the summer holidays there isnt much to chat to them about
    Do u agree with juniors playing In adult club comps or should they stick to the junior comps aswell

juniors can play in adult comps but cant win the captains prize do you think that is right?

juniors can play in adult comps but cant win the captains prize do you think that is right?[/quote]

I don't see why they shouldn't win the captain's. A junior off 5 handicap won my clubs captain's prize a few yrs ago.
    They pay same entry fee so let them win.
    I have also seen junior have best score in captain's but only received 2nd prize which doesn't look good for the adult who has to take a prize he didn't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Played Balbriggan in PP weekend.

Course was in immaculate shape, greens were some of the best I have played.

Credit to green staff for turning course out so well.

juniors can play in adult comps but cant win the captains prize do you think that is right?

I don't see why they shouldn't win the captain's. A junior off 5 handicap won my clubs captain's prize a few yrs ago.
    I have also seen junior have best score in captain's but only received 2nd prize which doesn't look good for the adult who has to take a prize he didn't win.[/QUOTE]

the standard in most clubs i know is that a junior cannot win a captains/presidents prize. If clubs fell like that i would suggest that they would also agree that Juniors should not be involved in these club teams. I know a few clubs that competed at the weekend that chose not to have juniors involved and i agree wholeheartedly with them on that.

I have also seen junior have best score in captain's but only received 2nd prize which doesn't look good for the adult who has to take a prize he didn't win.

the standard in most clubs i know is that a junior cannot win a captains/presidents prize. If clubs fell like that i would suggest that they would also agree that Juniors should not be involved in these club teams. I know a few clubs that competed at the weekend that chose not to have juniors involved and i agree wholeheartedly with them on that.[/quote]

Do u not think it discourages juniors from taking up the game.
    What would a mcillroy/lowry/Dunne have thought if they were the best players in club but not allowed to play senior/Barton.

Regarding captains/presidents that view is slowly changing in a lot of clubs. If they pay the same entry fee to the comp as u they should be allowed have same rights in that comp.
    Maybe I'm just of the generation where I was discouraged from teams and banned from captains/presidents and feel strongly that it is ridiculous to be punished for having ability at a young age

the standard in most clubs i know is that a junior cannot win a captains/presidents prize. If clubs fell like that i would suggest that they would also agree that Juniors should not be involved in these club teams. I know a few clubs that competed at the weekend that chose not to have juniors involved and i agree wholeheartedly with them on that.

What would a mcillroy/lowry/Dunne have thought if they were the best players in club but not allowed to play senior/Barton.

Regarding captains/presidents that view is slowly changing in a lot of clubs. If they pay the same entry fee to the comp as u they should be allowed have same rights in that comp.
    Maybe I'm just of the generation where I was discouraged from teams and banned from captains/presidents and feel strongly that it is ridiculous to be punished for having ability at a young age

Most of the young lads I know who play golf are very competitive. They want to win whether it's competition or interclub.

I'd guess the vast majority of these guys would leave a club if they were not allowed to win the Captain's (or Captains Prize to the Juniors) or compete in the inter club competitions.

At the end of the day plenty of pros, staff and members have given time up to help these young people enjoy, improve and feel welcome in a club. For members like you to turn around and tell them that they don't want them involved is absolutely terrible. You are dismissing the hard work of your own club, young players and the junior set up to suit your own view.

I personally wouldn't want to join a club where this mentality was accepted.

Edit: I think I've mixed up who was complaining about juniors been involved in club teams.

Most of the young lads I know who play golf are very competitive. They want to win whether it's competition or interclub.

I'd guess the vast majority of these guys would leave a club if they were not allowed to win the Captain's (or Captains Prize to the Juniors) or compete in the inter club competitions.

At the end of the day plenty of pros, staff and members have given time up to help these young people enjoy, improve and feel welcome in a club. For members like you to turn around and tell them that they don't want them involved is absolutely terrible. He is dismissing the hard work of his own club, young players and the junior set up to suit his own view.

I personally wouldn't want to join a club where this mentality was accepted.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Honestly thought things had changed in all clubs.
    Sadly not it seems. I sincerely hope slingerz is of the older generation(60+) otherwise can't believe he would have that attitude towards juniors.
    Remember these kids will replace us when we are gone

Couldn't agree more. Honestly thought things had changed in all clubs.
    Sadly not it seems. I sincerely hope slingerz is of the older generation(60+) otherwise can't believe he would have that attitude towards juniors.
    Remember these kids will replace us when we are gone

That's a little unfair to the over 60s. I worked in a golf club for two years when I was younger and would have often played in the mornings before work and evenings after work, the older lads (and women) would never see you stuck for a playing partner and would always ask how your game was, giving pointers, asking were you going for teams this year, and were just all round lovely people to play a few holes with.

Many of those older people always showed up and helped out on a Wednesday morning during the summer with kids coaching, whether it was just collecting balls, driving buggies to the range, having a chat with the kids parents.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm just of the generation where I was discouraged from teams and banned from captains/presidents and feel strongly that it is ridiculous to be punished for having ability at a young age[/QUOTE]

Your equating Senior/Barton, where the % of a club eligible or indeed capable of playing at such a level is particularly low to Jimmy Bruen where the % of a club eligible would be far greater. If you are capable of taking part in such elite competitions and you are under 16 years of age then you are most likely to be a golfer of international standard.

At the weekend it was Jimmy Bruen which would have a substantially higher % of club members both eligible and capable of playing at that level.

The Jimmy Bruen should encourage these members to take part in a team environment within their golf club. It would enhance their experience as part of the club and encourage new members to join/take part.

The Juniors taking part have the ability to play interclub competitions against their peers in the form of the Fred Daly there is no discouraging them from playing the game as they are already facilitated.

Juniors are already ineligible to partake in Pierce Purcell, do you believe that to be discouraging Juniors?

Advertisement