Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,012 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

23 points for 12 holes today, ticking along nicely and the around the green and putting is getting better. Hopefully when the 18 holes starts a big score will click

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

1st time playing the full 18 holes at my new course.

2/18 GIR
    6/12 up and downs
    two 3 putts resulted in two double bogeys

8 pars
    8 bogeys
    2 doubles

+12 for 29 points

Need to improve on iron play, that GIR stat is awful for a supposed 5 h/c. Will be swapping out my 4 and 5 hybrids to match in with my new irons i've bought in 6-PW.
    Driver is ok when i relax and make my full swing without coming down too early with arms. Would love to get my old controlled draw with my driver back.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Played third round of the year, our course was converted into a 12 hole par 3.
    Two Birdies and an almost ace, spring league starting next week now! Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

27 Points in Carton with the Society. 19F and 8Back. 4 Scratches

Not much to add, was struggling with my strike which transfered to everything in the bag.Felt if I was playing just average I would have had 36+ points.

I played Concra Wood then today. The weather I was hoping for didn't appear so with the cold,wind and soft ground it played quite long.

37pts with 1 scratch. 21F and 18Back.

Lipped out on 5 putts and missed 3-4 very makable putts.
    Could have been a very good round but I really struggled with the putter and the odd bobble with the greens recently being sanded.
    Still, need to work on putting some more, it was a poor performance.

The scratch was a snap hook driver OOB and failed to get down in enough shots off the reload. It was a risk reward hole being 370Yds (11th) uphill but narrow. Second ball left me with 140 to the flag so I felt it was the shot to call just failed to pull it off the first time.

Happy with the score, always felt Concra plays tough compared to my usual courses.

Played third round of the year, our course was converted into a 12 hole par 3.
    How does that work and what course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    How does that work and what course?

So its a 9 holes course normally, we play 6 holes during the Winter. As this Winter was especially bad, last weekend they decided to create temporary tee boxes in the fairways and play every hole as a Par 3, yardages were given out at the start.

Ballyheigue Castle in Kerry is the course, best 9 hole course in the country on its day

Up to 14 holes today, had 29 points. Delighted cos was 3 over the handicap after 5 holes, so got it back.

Also found 4 pro v1s...fine start to a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

Shot 121 today for first ever round of golf . Got par on two holes a par 3 and par 5 at elm green so happy with that

85 strokes for 27 points

1 birdie (very close to an eagle)
    8 pars
    3 bogeys
    6 double bogeys - can't remember the last time i had this many on the card

7/18 GIR

positives are +3 on the back 9 and a par par par finish

Improved my eclectic score by 8 shots. 4 more rounds to go on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Brutal last week at Boards outing (24 pts)

Much improved this week. 13 hole comp had 26 pts.
    Biggest difference I noted was concentration/mentality.

Funny old game

• Advertisement

First time holding a club in over two weeks which was quite long for me.

35pts 36pts in Ardee. Course was soft but not soggy which I was happily surprised with.

5 Pars | 6 Bogey's | 5 Doubles | 2 Scratches and 4 Shanks :o

Again a bit of a struggle, had a much better striking round in Concra on my last day out a few weeks ago.

Today my putting and chipping made the difference plus one or two quality shots. The rest were average to bad.

I'll get a low one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

After a few weeks without swinging a club, went searching for a course open & got out for 18 holes in Donabate on Sunday playing the Blue/Red combo. Its a grand course, some of the holes feel a little samey, but the greens are nice with some tricky breaks.

Definitely was a bit of rust in the swing, but overall quite happy with how I played.

84 Stokes
    60% FIR
    39% GIR
    27% scrambling

1 Birdie
    8 Pars
    5 Bogeys
    4 Doubles

5 1-putts
    11 2-putts
    2 3-putts

Was a friendly round, so was a bit casual with a few short putts. It could have been 3-4 points better.

Also got 2 new wedges so was trying to find my distances with them. As a result I took on a couple of shots with them that I probably wouldn't have in a competitive round.

Took a few holes to get going off the tee, but hopefully some good signs for the season which will hopefully kick off properly soon.

Supposed to be strokes off the Blues in my home course this weekend for our first "major" of the year, The St Patrick's Day Cup. Not sure if the course will have recovered enough for it though.

23 points.

6 Pars
    6 Bogeys
    6 Double bogeys or worse.

+2 after 6 then wheels fell off.

Lot of work to do. Have the junior scratch cup in rosapenna coming up end of april.

Again another 2 week gap with weather and work getting in the way.

37 Points
    1 scratch
    3 Pars
    1Birdie
    Too many bogeys and doubles :pac:

Happy enough with how I played apart from a few places, wind was about 20-25kmph so strong enough aswell.

Struck the ball quite well just wasn't getting it close enough on approach. Left 3 on the lip and another 2 or 3 that bobled away from the hole last second.

Short game was good enough but could have been better/closer.

To my shame, 3 shots to get out of a green side bunker on a par3. 190yds to the pin, put it a few feet past into the left bunker. Ball below feet, 2 tops. :o

Signed up for some match play Tournaments, first time giving it a go so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,607 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Got out late about 3pm and had my first full round of golf in 4 months and first one this year.
    That is some sort of record for me in last 6/7 years. Have a building project going on, so - golf is last on the list at present. Real life before golf this year.

It is last on the list - but my last, is never last in a true sense - as I write about golf - watch golf - played golf and think about golf - even had a chat with the lad in the chipper about his golf.

Loved it - the sun was shining and was hitting the ball bizarrely well.
    That crisp air, but slight radiant heat on your face - you only get this, at this time of year.

Started par - par - bogey (poor 3 putt) - par - bird.

I couldn't make sense of the 1/2 decent golf - But I had done something on a round I had never done before - listened to a pod cast ("West Cork" - great listen). Even putting and driving the ball I had this true crime story going on - very strange, considering most players insist on total silence.

Anyway turned 1 over and was only over as the short game was very unfit. On the back nine I started to think about score a bit - started feeling the walk a bit and slipped a good bit. Was 8 over in total - but was still delighted with that considering everything.

Have a few games in the "winter" match play to look forward to, over next 3 weeks and hopefully get back into the swing of things fully for May.

With the courses now open again and temperatures hitting that magic double digits - there is a bit of spring hope there. I love this early season when you still have the summer crowds away - the course is picking up and the ball is making it down the course at last.

I wont get to play "much" golf this year - but when I get out, going to take it as it comes - the good days - the bad - a few good birds and an eagle if one drops.

On a par 3 early on, I nailed a 6 iron - a low punch with a bit of draw spin. Was going at at the flag - holed the bird from 4 feet. You can be away from the game for as long as you like - but when you do that , you get that little pump in your body and head, that brings you back, gives you hope, for your game and the game we love.

In the background on the pod cast (West Cork)

There was talk of murder, unsolved crime and the perfect setting ruined. I might try the ear phones again - but maybe something a bit more tranquil :)

On a par 3 early on, I nailed a 6 iron - a low punch with a bit of draw spin. Was going at at the flag - holed the bird from 4 feet. You can be away from the game for as long as you like - but when you do that , you get that little pump in your body and head, that brings you back, gives you hope, for your game and the game we love.

PLEASE TEACH ME! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

PLEASE TEACH ME! :D

Hands low down the grip, a lot of weight on your left foot throughout your whole swing. Stand with the ball in the middle of your stance.

Might help

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played two 12 hole rounds last week, and had a respectable 26 points followed by the worst round i've had in years. 17 points, but only because of a birdy on the last (when i didn't give a **** anymore :P). It was absolutely awful...couldn't hit the ball in even remotely the right direction.

Captains drive in this weekend, so first 18 hole in a while. Needs to be a lot better than last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,607 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

callaway92 wrote: »
    Hands low down the grip, a lot of weight on your left foot throughout your whole swing. Stand with the ball in the middle of your stance.

Might help

Sounds good - I deloft the club a good bit anyway so don't have to keep the left hand side thinking as much - but the shortened follow through will keep you on left foot.

I've another type of shot that I use in wind or to keep right hand side of course out of play.
    Back of stance - but set up for a draw too with feet. I've worked on a more and more aggressive draw position and can get the ball to turn in a low draw. Very useful and can get unreal roll and good for a driving iron on a short par 4.

Yes it is nice to be able to shape it at times. When you pull them off they are some of the most satisfying shots to see a ball move towards pin in a direction.

When they go wrong it can be :o

Langer was a master of shaping the ball and won in all conditions.

It is worth looking at how much he is willing to change angle of body - I've tested this to crazy levels for fun.

Back in stance for draw and forward for fade was a thing I only got about 2 years ago - from You Tube - Luke Donald is unreal has a series on you tube - what that lad can do with a ball is bizarre.

Watch his master class is unreal stuff.

36 points on full 18 today, a right mixed bag. Blitzing the driver, pity two drives just nabbed fairway bunkers and ended with scratches on those. Was 4 under the handicap at that stage, went to 1 over, then back to level in last 5 holes. Madness.

Open singles in Dunfanaghy next weekend though, it won't be pretty I'd imagine

• Advertisement

34 Points

3 Scratches
    4Pars
    1Birdie

Not striking quite as well as Thursday but good enough to get around. I just wasn't lucky enough on a few pushed irons and had to chip sideways. Chips on wet ground and distance control are what is hurting at the minute.

Had one chip flick a tiny branch and knock it down. Then proceed to hit a branch on the ground. And bounce it to between two tree stumps leading to unplayable and scratch.

Still enjoyed the round in a bit of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

A pathetic 22pts for my first 18 of the year. Everything wrong from knocking down drives, duffing irons and missing 1ft putts.

Good thing is the drives and iron are caused by the same issue and the putting is just down to confidence/practice so looking forward to getting a bit of practice in this week

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

A very nice nett 68 in a strokes competition, with the best part being the consistency of my scoring.....no outlandish scores or fluky shots just good steady golf. The conditions also helped, mild and what wind there was could be easily managed.

First cut of the the year, hopefully not the last

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

First full 18 holes of the year in a Singles Comp yesterday. Lovely day with a small breeze.

Started off with a 3putt on an easy par 5 so felt that was going to be my day would go but went -1 for the next 8 to finish 9 holes at level par. Wasn't hitting my irons close so had to make a lot of long 2 putts to make pars.

A run of +4 in 4 holes with a few silly short missed putts cost be a few bogeys but managed to finish the day with Gross 76; Nett 69 for 39 points.

Rolled a few birdie putts just past the hole on the back 9 so improvement with the iron play.

Course getting into good condition after all the snow, greens almost fully recovered after the treatment in Jan/Feb. Hopefully they can lift the placing in a few weeks.

Roll on the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Followed up 30 points in Dromoland with Boards on Saturday with 31 points in home course on Sunday.

Didn't play particularly well on either day to be honest, so the scores are actually quite flattering.

Putted badly on both days. Think I've gotten too casual over the short putts & haven't been practicing at all. With courses closed for the last few weeks there is a lot of rust to shake off with the short game in general.

One nice bonus is I had a 2 on both days. At the home course was actually an eagle 2 on our short par 4 10th. Tee was a bit forward so took on the green & made the carry to leave about a 15ft putt.

So even though the scoring wasn't great, I at least had a couple of positives to take from both days.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

Played Rathsallagh on Saturday - shot 41 points off 12 (11 pars, 1 birdie)  with the new course lay-out. Greens were sanded and bumpy so decided early to stop reading too much into the breaks and just hit it towards the hole . . . Seemed to work fine, might start doing that more often! ! :)  Well apart from a "4" Putt on 1 hole !!  Always enjoy playing there, was just a shame about the greens, but needs to be done I suppose! 
    Will be nice to get a good run at it now after all the recent rubbish weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭benny79

Played Rathsallagh on Saturday - shot 41 points off 12 (11 pars, 1 birdie)  with the new course lay-out. Greens were sanded and bumpy so decided early to stop reading too much into the breaks and just hit it towards the hole . . . Seemed to work fine, might start doing that more often! ! :)  Well apart from a "4" Putt on 1 hole !!  Always enjoy playing there, was just a shame about the greens, but needs to be done I suppose! 
    Will be nice to get a good run at it now after all the recent rubbish weather!

Great score there tough enough track, long, and even longer now with soft ground..
    Surely you were in the winners circle!

I sure was. . placing helps! 

I am not sure of the reasoning behind the new lay out of the course, still very enjoyable to play and friendly staff!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Shot 39 over the weekend off 13. 1 Birdie & 8 Pars. Down to 12 now. Biggest thing is I'm now scoring on holes that I don't have a shot on. Usually got a scratch or at best 1 point on these.

• Advertisement

I am the same . . sometimes best to just play the hole without the index in your head. . . has your club now qualifying competitions ?

Advertisement