Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leona Maguire - LPGA Winner 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Her match is currently live on The Golf Channel for those with access...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Seems like a lovely grounded girl and very intelligent. Serious potential and hopefully can have a solid pro career and represent us all on this tiny island....

and she makes the 2016 Curtis Cup team.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

How's the sister getting on? Lisa isn't it? Seemed like there was never anything between them all the way up along but it now seems like you just hear about Leona really. Suppose it was only natural that one of them would emerge as the better golfer.

From what I see of the Duke uni entry to team comps in the States Lisa is usually a dozen or higher shots behind Lena in virtually every tournament

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

slave1 wrote: »
    From what I see of the Duke uni entry to team comps in the States Lisa is usually a dozen or higher shots behind Lena in virtually every tournament

She seems to be struggling a few years, ive heard major swing changes but not sure, im sure she will be back winning again, too good of a player not to imho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

She seems to be struggling a few years, ive heard major swing changes but not sure, im sure she will be back winning again, too good of a player not to imho

Interesting, they were only back from Duke a few days at the end of term last year when they were in with Shane O'Grady in my home club. Have seen them in the club for lessons a couple of times.
    They have a young brother coming through the ranks who's also supposed to be razor sharp.

See Lisa will caddy for Leona at the Olympics, I think this could well be a long term arrangement should Lisa not close the gap in terms of results between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

See Lisa will caddy for Leona at the Olympics, I think this could well be a long term arrangement should Lisa not close the gap in terms of results between them.

They could switch after 9 holes if Leona wasn't playing well and nobody would notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Leona was interviewed on the radio last week and said that Lisa had gone through a major swing change this year and was starting to play some good golf again.

Leona herself said she was just starting to work with the same coach on something small in her own game so I guess she must think a lot of him after seeing Lisa's improvements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Rikand wrote: »
    Leona was interviewed on the radio last week and said that Lisa had gone through a major swing change this year and was starting to play some good golf again.

Leona herself said she was just starting to work with the same coach on something small in her own game so I guess she must think a lot of him after seeing Lisa's improvements

Hopefully they fulfil their potential of early years, however this girl Olivia Mehaffey is something else to watch, 18yrs old, +5 hcap, tall and strong, hits it miles, she looks like shes going to be a fantastic player, shes going to college in USA and is already no7 in the world, the highest ranked non college golfer. Defo a future world no1 once she starts doing well in college events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Currently -1 at the turn in her first round at the Womens British Open

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

-3 after 6 holes today, -4 for the championship

Finished the day on -3. Should easily make the cut, and give her a good chance to be top amateur and hopefully a top 10 at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

3 amateurs at -3 at the moment, so that could be a good nip and tuck weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Mehaffey +5 at the moment doesn't look like she will make the cut which is a pity.

She will be some player in the future though!

Currently -5 at the turn in her third round.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

In at -7. A good bit behind the leaders but she looks comfortable in that company.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hopefully we'll see a bit of her tomorrow. I think the interview was the only tv time she got

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Rikand wrote:
    Hopefully we'll see a bit of her tomorrow. I think the interview was the only tv time she got

We saw her on 18 but that was about it. BBC didn't exert themselves with their coverage - we saw about ten players at most all day.

• Advertisement

Rikand wrote: »

Interview...

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/maguire-68-having-blast-womens-british/?cid=twitter-gc-v-maguire-68-having-blast-womens-british-073016

According to this, she's going to Q school in October. I'd say she's way ahead of the curve in terms of ability, so hope she makes it

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/ilgu/1610/smyth-salver-for-maguire-at-woburn

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

Leona is playing in Stage 2 of the LPGA Q-School this week. Level par for round 1 and in T43 spot. Top 80 make it through to the final stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

My thinking from last year remains the same. Silly decision in my opinion. College will always be there should the golf career fail but the opposite is not true.
    HighLine wrote: »
    Probably in the minority here... but I just don't understand why she is wasting her time in college. She is going to have a life playing golf. Turn pro and start your career. Look at what Lydia Ko is doing... having just turned 18. Do what Jordan Spieth did... quit college and start making your millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Super decision imo.

It would be silly to miss her last year of college for her degree at this stage.
    As for making millions by turning pro now... that's far from a certainty.

Her pro career will becwauting for her next year

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sthilmick

I think I'm with you there as far as finishing her studies. Once your outta school for a while it's hard to get back to the books plus another year on the amateur circuit will do her no harm for every McIllory and Speith there's a thousand unknowns who were the next big thing and are probably scraping their way around the hooters tour in a 20 yr old banger. The ladies tour is probably every bit as hard as the mens just less money. I hope she does make the LPGA or the LET soon but I think she's better off with an education for this year

HighLine wrote: »
    My thinking from last year remains the same. Silly decision in my opinion. College will always be there should the golf career fail but the opposite is not true.

Its only one extra year playing AM golf. Very smart decision.

Still no 1 in the world, and playing the in the ladies British amateur open this week. Winner gets a spot at the Ladies British and US opens.

She qualified from stroke play, won matchplay round 1 5&4, round 2 7&6, and will be playing in round 3 today

Website for scoring and updates is pretty decent:
    http://www.randa.org/Championships/LadiesBritishOpenAmateurChampionship/MP-Leaderboard#/competition/964361/matchplay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

That a GUI type of emblem / flag beside her profile?

Advertisement