Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I think there was an add this morning. I just assumed it was an add on the radio.

I never had ad's before the requested station would just play straight away. Now I get 30 seconds of this rubbish every time I stream something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

john4321 wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting informed about lottery now https://www.lottery.ie/lottery-now every time they stream something on Tune In? Started happening yesterday on my home hubs.

Those are TuneIn ads. Nothing you can do about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I never had ad's before the requested station would just play straight away. Now I get 30 seconds of this rubbish every time I stream something.

Do you have TuneIn Premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Do you have TuneIn Premium?

Nope just TuneIn Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Is anyone else getting informed about lottery now https://www.lottery.ie/lottery-now every time they stream something on Tune In? Started happening yesterday on my home hubs.

Nope but the tune android app has had audio ads for the past few weeks. High time Google took the stream directly from RTE like the do with BBC (no I don't mean they take the BBC stream from RTE!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭b.gud

Does anyone know do I need to do anything special to get Routines functionality to show up in the Google Home app?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Fishy1

NewsTalk Radio hasn’t been available on either my Google Home or Google Mini for the past few days.
    Is it just me? At least RTE Radio 1 hasn’t been affected this time. Hope I haven’t jinxed it now!

Fishy1 wrote: »
    NewsTalk Radio hasn’t been available on either my Google Home or Google Mini for the past few days.
    Is it just me? At least RTE Radio 1 hasn’t been affected this time. Hope I haven’t jinxed it now!

Newstalk has been working perfectly on my mini the last while. It was in this morning before I left for work

b.gud wrote: »
    Newstalk has been working perfectly on my mini the last while. It was in this morning before I left for work

Just tried it again there now & got it to work by saying “Play NewsTalk”. Up to this I used to always have to say “Play Newstalk Radio” :o

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Does anyone know do I need to do anything special to get Routines functionality to show up in the Google Home app?
    Minnie the same, can't get it to show up at all? Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

digitaldr wrote: »
    Nope but the tune android app has had audio ads for the past few weeks. High time Google took the stream directly from RTE like the do with BBC (no I don't mean they take the BBC stream from RTE!)

If the station is using something like AdSwizz, the direct stream can still have ad insertion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone know how to get audio books downloaded from the Google play books app to be read through Google home?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

Think you just go "hey google READ 'bookname'".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

VanZan wrote: »
    Think you just go "hey google READ 'bookname'".

So simple - thanks, worked.

Fishy1 wrote: »
    Just tried it again there now & got it to work by saying “Play NewsTalk”. Up to this I used to always have to say “Play Newstalk Radio” :o

Interesting “Play Newstalk Radio” worked for me this morning

On an unrelated note my mini decided to set off an alarm at 4am this morning, is there any way to determine what action/command was used to create this alarm? Neither myself or the missus think that we actually set it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Which do people find works the best with their Google home , Google Play Music, Spotify premium or YouTube Music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Which do people find works the best with their Google home Spotify premium or YouTube Music?

Google play music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭ Jenny Quiet Stepfather

Is there anyway to get the Mini to have a weekday alarm that plays the radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Is there anyway to get the Mini to have a weekday alarm that plays the radio?
    ""Set media/music/radio for 7am every day of the week”"
    https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7071598?hl=en-GB

Although there doesn't seem to be any way to set the "On" volume yet

Which do people find works the best with their Google home , Google Play Music, Spotify premium or YouTube Music?

Can't speak to the other two, but Spotify works flawlessly for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SSeanSS

have ye managed to set up your phone with google home? i thought i did this but it doesn't work when i say "OK Google call xxx" or "ring my phone"

SSeanSS wrote: »
    have ye managed to set up your phone with google home? i thought i did this but it doesn't work when i say "OK Google call xxx" or "ring my phone"

As far as I know that functionality doesn't work in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

As far as I know that functionality doesn't work in Ireland

It doesn't seem to work alright. You can only make video calls through Duo (but who the hell even uses duo).

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SSeanSS

AstraMonti wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to work alright. You can only make video calls through Duo (but who the hell evens uses duo).
    Thanks AstraMonti. Hopefully it will be supported soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭ Jenny Quiet Stepfather

fletch wrote: »
    ""Set media/music/radio for 7am every day of the week”"
    https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/7071598?hl=en-GB

Although there doesn't seem to be any way to set the "On" volume yet

"This function is not currently supported" or words to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

AstraMonti wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to work alright. You can only make video calls through Duo (but who the hell even uses duo).

I've pushed a good few people to use it now. I find the audio calls on it much better quality than WhatsApp too.

"This function is not currently supported" or words to that effect.

“Wake me every weekday at 7am with RTE Radio 1” (or whatever) works on my Mini.

Interesting “Play Newstalk Radio” worked for me this morning
    Tried that again just now & got “Sorry I didn’t find any updates on Talk Radio”.
    At least it’s working when I say “Play NewsTalk” :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Google, what an a$$hole!

Hey Google play we are the champions....
    Playing we are the champions by Crazy Frog....
    Ring, Ring, a Ding, Ding......
    Noooooooooo!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

Google, what an a$$hole!

Hey Google play we are the champions....
    Playing we are the champions by Crazy Frog....
    Ring, Ring, a Ding, Ding......
    Noooooooooo!!!!

I find if I ask to play a specific song, it will invariably play a live version or a cover by some degenerate. Just play the original song by the original artist.

Advertisement