Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hive v Nest v Climote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

Graham wrote: »
    Each nest can control 1H + 1W

You'd need 2 Nests.

We have both Nest and Hive. After 2 years of Nest and about a month of Hive, we'd lean towards Hive for any future installs.

Hi, Why would you go with Hive over Nest? I have 3 zones plus water and I am trying to decide which one. We are all out of the house most days, but home arrival time changes which is why I thought one of these systems would be useful. Sick of having the heat come on from 3-5pm 'just in case' its cold! Thermostats are in the hall and landings so pretty useless for maintaining temp in living areas

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi Folks,

Im a bit confused which system i need..

I have 3 heating zones and Hot Water... Requirements i have is to remotely Switch on/off the heating via app and to set a basic schedule.

Which of the smart heating thermostats is the one that makes most sense for me, and what would it cost?

Help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

theduffer wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Im a bit confused which system i need..

I have 3 heating zones and Hot Water... Requirements i have is to remotely Switch on/off the heating via app and to set a basic schedule.

Which of the smart heating thermostats is the one that makes most sense for me, and what would it cost?

Help!!!

snap - i have the same so any advice would be warmly appreciated....

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

Hi, Why would you go with Hive over Nest? I have 3 zones plus water and I am trying to decide which one. We are all out of the house most days, but home arrival time changes which is why I thought one of these systems would be useful. Sick of having the heat come on from 3-5pm 'just in case' its cold! Thermostats are in the hall and landings so pretty useless for maintaining temp in living areas

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

ablelocks wrote: »
    snap - i have the same so any advice would be warmly appreciated....

Currently have hive myself and does exactly what you're looking for, can also get bulbs and smart sockets to work with the app.

For 2 zones plus hot water you need two hives or nests.

I am considering a move to nest as I think it plays better with google home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Jimmy_Cork

Hi, I am looking for a little advice. I am a little lost on the heating front.

We have oil fired heating. I have a control unit in our utility room, this have Zone 1 (Downstrairs), Zone 2 (Upstairs) and Hot Water. In the living room there is a thermostat on the wall and the same in the bedroom upstarts.

I am looking at getting a Nest thermostat and it is my understanding that this will replace the control unit in the utility room and allow me to control both zones and the hot water either on the unit or using the app.

What happens to the old stats in the living room and bedroom? are these then null and void or should the also be replaced with Nest units?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Jimmy_Cork wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for a little advice. I am a little lost on the heating front.

We have oil fired heating. I have a control unit in our utility room, this have Zone 1 (Downstrairs), Zone 2 (Upstairs) and Hot Water. In the living room there is a thermostat on the wall and the same in the bedroom upstarts.

I am looking at getting a Nest thermostat and it is my understanding that this will replace the control unit in the utility room and allow me to control both zones and the hot water either on the unit or using the app.

What happens to the old stats in the living room and bedroom? are these then null and void or should the also be replaced with Nest units?
    A nest will only do one zone + hot water.

You need a second nest to do zone too.

The old stats get removed/disconnected

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Not that I want to come across as a shill or anything but I got rid of the Nest, found it useless (same as some on here, the so called learning thermostat, wasn't).
    I got my self a Tado system instead. https://www.tado.com/ie/products/smart-thermostat-starter-kit
    It works a lot better for me than the nest ever did, plus you can build it out with the use of the rad controllers to pretty much control the temp in every room.
    The geofencing is the best thing about it though, I never come home to a cold house, pretty much forget its there really most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Not that I want to come across as a shill or anything but I got rid of the Nest, found it useless (same as some on here, the so called learning thermostat, wasn't).
    I got my self a Tado system instead. https://www.tado.com/ie/products/smart-thermostat-starter-kit
    It works a lot better for me than the nest ever did, plus you can build it out with the use of the rad controllers to pretty much control the temp in every room.
    The geofencing is the best thing about it though, I never come home to a cold house, pretty much forget its there really most of the time.

Do you have to use the Nest as a "learning" thermostat, or can you just schedule it like a "normal" thermostat?

Soarer wrote: »
    Do you have to use the Nest as a "learning" thermostat, or can you just schedule it like a "normal" thermostat?

Yeah you can use it as essentially a fancy timer. You can program the heating & hot water via the display, the phone app or the web interface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yeah you can use it as essentially a fancy timer. You can program the heating & hot water via the display, the phone app or the web interface.

And sorry for the idiocy, but is that not what you'll have to do with the Tado anyway?
    And doesn't Nest work with Tado TRVs?

Soarer wrote: »
    And sorry for the idiocy, but is that not what you'll have to do with the Tado anyway?
    And doesn't Nest work with Tado TRVs?

The reason I got rid of nest is that I found my self constantly needing to turn up or down the heating. It just never seemed to get the temp right. Stuck with it for almost 2 years, so plenty of time for the "smart learning" to do its thing, for me at least, it never did.
    Tado's system is better in my opinion, it uses local weather data to determine what a comfortable match between outside temps and what you've set the target temp in the house to be. I genuinely forget that its there the vast majority of the time, where as I was constantly having to adjust the nest. Proof in the pudding for me is a few months into using the Tado the wife unprompted said that she way preferred it to the nest.

As for the rad controllers working with nest, I've no idea, only looked at them after I got the tado system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys,

Just about to pull the plug on a Hive purchase.

I have gas fired central heating.
    Wall thermostat on the first floor landing.
    Controller beside the boiler.
    I have 2 zones. I can beat the water or the rads separately.

But, what’s the price difference in these mean.

I see Argos have the kit reduced to €150
    Curry’s are €120

But is there a difference in the products.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/smart-heating/hive-active-heating-multizone-10148129-pdt.html?istCompanyId=fbc6ef6d-ab18-45e3-927a-0cb677794424&istItemId=-xxrmpitrxp&istBid=t&gclid=CjwKCAiAuMTfBRAcEiwAV4SDkS6qidbYTNPu20PDo5_xZGklFLs7eHnOGDbai4YeHNxVer3lhgSmXRoCzCYQAvD_BwE

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6553128/Trail/searchtext%3EHive.htm

I think I may have answered my own question.
    I think the cheaper one is an additional room stat to add to an existing system?

Worth noting it’s also €150 from hive direct and you get a free amazon dot thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

kceire wrote: »
    I think I may have answered my own question.
    I think the cheaper one is an additional room stat to add to an existing system?

Worth noting it’s also €150 from hive direct and you get a free amazon dot thingy.

It works out at €125 on Amazon with the free echo dot if your looking for a deal.

It works out at €125 on Amazon with the free echo dot if your looking for a deal.

I seen that but it was coming to £119.99 stg and would only ship to the UK, so adding parcel motel fees and exchange rate brought it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

I seen that but it was coming to £119.99 stg and would only ship to the UK, so adding parcel motel fees and exchange rate brought it up.

Hive Active Heating and Hot Water Thermostat without Professional Installation + Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Gen) Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0743L9FBN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Rcz8BbEK1HDPC. I have this arriving tomorrow. Shipped no problem.

Hive Active Heating and Hot Water Thermostat without Professional Installation + Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Gen) Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0743L9FBN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Rcz8BbEK1HDPC. I have this arriving tomorrow. Shipped no problem.

Have it arriving myself.
    I also bought the Gen 3 echo in Argos today for €31.
    So I’ll decide if I’ll rerun the gen 3 or sell the gen 2 to CEX.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Have it arriving myself.

Did you install the Hive yourself or did you get a professional to install?

Did you install the Hive yourself or did you get a professional to install?

Installed it myself.
    It was very simple.

I isolated the Central Heating power (only newly installed during renovations so it has its own fused spur)

Removed the existing time clock. I had no wiring diagram for that so it was a 50/50 guess which wire was heating and which was water.

reconnected and it fired up and worked straight away.

• Advertisement

Installed it myself.
    It was very simple.

I isolated the Central Heating power (only newly installed during renovations so it has its own fused spur)

Removed the existing time clock. I had no wiring diagram for that so it was a 50/50 guess which wire was heating and which was water.

reconnected and it fired up and worked straight away.

Does your setup have Hot Water and 2 zones (upstairs and downstairs)

Does your setup have Hot Water and 2 zones (upstairs and downstairs)

2 zones total
    1. hot water
    2. central heating

My house was built in 1996 so it was too expensive and invasive to spilt my heating zones into 2 during the works.

If you have 2 heating zones, then you'll need an additional thermostat I believe.

2 zones total
    1. hot water
    2. central heating

My house was built in 1996 so it was too expensive and invasive to spilt my heating zones into 2 during the works.

If you have 2 heating zones, then you'll need an additional thermostat I believe.

Great, thanks for the info. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

Hi, getting a total replumb done and need to decide what smart controls to go for, we will have 2 heating zones (upstairs and downstairs) and separate hot water. Don't need anything too fancy, just to be able to turn on heating / water remotely via phone app. Any advice much appreciated, cheers!

katie275 wrote: »
    Hi, getting a total replumb done and need to decide what smart controls to go for, we will have 2 heating zones (upstairs and downstairs) and separate hot water. Don't need anything too fancy, just to be able to turn on heating / water remotely via phone app. Any advice much appreciated, cheers!

So that’s 3 zone control.
    I can strongly recommend Hive.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

same zones as you, but it can depend on what heating system you have.

If it’s traditional oil or gas in a average ber type house the nest or hive are really good options

If you are in a high ber house (A), with a new generation or high efficiency heating solution it’s potentially better to look at other options.

For instance we are in an A2 house with a air to water heat pump (lots of new builds). Our house is pretty warm in general and designed to have a constant heat but with one zone upstairs you find that the rooms one side (sun) are hotter than the others.

For that we went with Tado ( after a lot of over and back) replaced the theremstats up and downstairs and all bedrooms got Tado TRV which will automatically set each room to the right temp (lower for us, higher for the kids) and that’s not dependant on the thermostat upstairs, that just tells the heat to kick in for what ever room needs it while the rest are closed. Works well and all controlled via the devices or the app

katie275 wrote: »

I have the nest and although I like it, I think the Hive may be better.

The nest is meant to learn your habits regarding temperature, but never worked right for me so I've disabled that learning function and have it working purely on schedule.

The downside of this is I have no boost function if I wanted to boost a zone for 1 hr (you can boost hot water only).

The Hive was my preferred option but I got a better deal on the nest which is why I went for it.

I have the nest and although I like it, I think the Hive may be better.

The nest is meant to learn your habits regarding temperature, but never worked right for me so I've disabled that learning function and have it working purely on schedule.

The downside of this is I have no boost function if I wanted to boost a zone for 1 hr (you can boost hot water only).

The Hive was my preferred option but I got a better deal on the nest which is why I went for it.

That is exactly what I didn't like about the Nest. I didn't want learning as such, I just wanted to be able to turn the heating on while I was out and boost the heating or the water when on the way home.

Also helps that I bought directly from Hive on their Black Friday deal for 149 and got a free Alexa speaker which I then sold for €45 :)

That is exactly what I didn't like about the Nest. I didn't want learning as such, I just wanted to be able to turn the heating on while I was out and boost the heating or the water when on the way home.

Also helps that I bought directly from Hive on their Black Friday deal for 149 and got a free Alexa speaker which I then sold for €45 :)

The nest app is good I think, way better than the Climote that I tested. Also you need to pay a subscription for the Climote for remote access if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement

The nest app is good I think, way better than the Climote that I tested. Also you need to pay a subscription for the Climote for remote access if I remember correctly.

Correct, it needs a sim card installed.
    Hive is WiFi connected so no subscription.

Advertisement