Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drilling straight holes with an SDS drill

• 09-08-2020 9:49pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, we have an occasional use SDS drill for making holes in the various walls. Normally, a bit janky, but whatever we're screwing in seems to tolerate some bocketiness. Today's task was putting bolts in a wall (for a wire trellis), and they were all well jaunty angles, not an issue for the wire, but... the next project is to hang steel pegboards in the garage, and those do not have a whole bunch of flexiblity built into them. If we choose to hang those with bolts, it'll be even more all over the place.

The pegboard didn't come with any mountings, so we reckon our best bet is either screws with standoffs (into rawlplugs in blocks) or bolts (also into rawl plugs), and stick on end caps (the steel pegboard is Heavy).

So, how can i make sure my SDS holes are straight 90º?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Take a couple of pieces of e.g. 3 inch timber.

Make a square inside corner on one piece, and use that to drill a straight hole into the second piece.

Use the second piece as a drill guide for the SDS.

Or using one piece, drill a roughly straight hole and shim it straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

A lot of the time the issue is that the drill tracks into the mortar joints or the hollow in a cavity block, or is detected by a hard piece of aggregate.
    The other idea is to use a small bit to start with 5mm maybe

Invest in a post level.

for the pegboard I would go the standoff route with express nails

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Would you tie the post level around the drill?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what about drilling wooden battens into the wall first and then screw the pegboard to the battens

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Tree wrote: »
    Would you tie the post level around the drill?

yes, making sure its aligned with the bit
    or else if the bit is long enough just use it to align the bit first

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement