Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing county on reg plate?

Options
  • 08-08-2020 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I found some posts on this question a few years ago but nothing recent. The info I found from years ago said it was proposed to make it easier to change the county on a reg plate but I’m not sure if it was ever implemented.

Basically, I’m buying a used car and would like to change the county on the reg plate to the county where I live. Obviously not an important issue really but curious to see if it’s possible and if it’s expensive to do if so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭teediddlyeye

I've only seen it done once. One of the lads in work imported an x5 from the UK that had been originally on an Irish reg and had the vrt claimed back on it when it went to the UK.

Arrived in Ireland, vrt paid and a new reg issued in the county of his registered address.

More hassle than it's worth

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Afaik it's impossible (unless you go through the process as per ^^^)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Export it, reclaim the VRT and reimport it.

If you don’t reclaim then you get the old number back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The only way you can do this without re-importing is if the car is associated with a celebrity or criminal activity ie you can successfully plead the car will get unwanted attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Always wondered about the D1,C1 plates etc. when the mayors sold them off.

I assume they get the same treatment as when I registered an import and the county is taken from where I live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

The GAA loyalty is strong within this driving padwan it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Always wondered about the D1,C1 plates etc. when the mayors sold them off.

I assume they get the same treatment as when I registered an import and the county is taken from where I live
    The mayoral plates remain for the next owner. You'd see them around occasionally. 93-D-1 was posted in the 'Oldest car I saw today' thread yesterday.

(I don't think the mayors actually own them so they are not theirs to sell on. AFAIK they are provided (in Dublin) by Volvo for free as a publicity thing for them.)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's one of those things that would be a nice cash cow for government, €250 a go would have demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's one of those things that would be a nice cash cow for government, €250 a go would have demand.

Like providing proper vintage or vanity plates the pencil necked desk jockeys don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Treppen wrote: »

Nope, I'd pay for this and I never watch/play GAA. I'd just rather a D on my A6 and (as AD suggested above) would happily pay up to €250 for it.

If someone else doesn't care that's grand, but it would be nice to have the choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

It’s somewhat ridiculous that we can’t update the reg to the county of resistance and it hampers second hand car sales, especially in the bigger counties like Dublin and Cork where non D and non C regs can become a signifiant issue for sales.

In this day and age a previous registration number could easily be linked to the car’s history and remain searchable without any issue. It’s just an extra key on a database.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Treppen wrote: »

Nah, it's just people from Kildare,Laois and Offay trying to drive down to Kerry on the sly....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Nope, I'd pay for this and I never watch/play GAA. I'd just rather a D on my A6 and (as AD suggested above) would happily pay up to €250 for it.

If someone else doesn't care that's grand, but it would be nice to have the choice.

If you've an A6 you can well afford more than €250 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It’s somewhat ridiculous that we can’t update the reg to the county of resistance and it hampers second hand car sales, especially in the bigger counties like Dublin and Cork where non D and non C regs can become a signifiant issue for sales.

In this day and age a previous registration number could easily be linked to the car’s history and remain searchable without any issue. It’s just an extra key on a database.

I think it's great I can buy nice cars cheaper because someone considers a letter on a piece of plastic/metal more important than the condition of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

It's only two weeks. This lockdown will be over long before you manage to have your Laois plate changed.

It’s somewhat ridiculous that we can’t update the reg to the county of resistance

Yeah but you can't just swap over. Your 10-D-123 can't just be 10-CN-123, because someone else will already have that plate. So you have to get the newest reg plate for that year/county, so you could get 10-CN-8693 for example.

Then would that free up 10-D-123 for someone else to use? So if someone from Waterford wants a D reg, do they then get 10-D-123 as it's become available?

What if you're history checking a car, does it show each time a reg-plate was changed? If you book the NCT, and before getting to the test centre, you've changed your reg plate, will they take the car?

Similarly if the Gardai pull you, and you've no insurance displayed, and they say to produce it within 10 days, and you go to the garda station, but you're now using a different reg plate, what do they say to you? Do you have to inform the insurance company that your reg is now a D instead of a W, and do they have to send out a new disc, that you present to the Gardai showing it's the same car you were in?

What about parking tickets? How does someone who has just been assigned a CN reg who has gotten a ticket in the post, demonstrate that they only just got a CN reg, and they were a C up to that point.

It complicates a lot of issues, and nobody cares what your reg plate says anyway (unless its DL, presumably, which has a stigma for some reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Yeah but you can't just swap over. Your 10-D-123 can't just be 10-CN-123, because someone else will already have that plate. So you have to get the newest reg plate for that year/county, so you could get 10-CN-8693 for example.

Then would that free up 10-D-123 for someone else to use? So if someone from Waterford wants a D reg, do they then get 10-D-123 as it's become available?

What if you're history checking a car, does it show each time a reg-plate was changed? If you book the NCT, and before getting to the test centre, you've changed your reg plate, will they take the car?

Similarly if the Gardai pull you, and you've no insurance displayed, and they say to produce it within 10 days, and you go to the garda station, but you're now using a different reg plate, what do they say to you? Do you have to inform the insurance company that your reg is now a D instead of a W, and do they have to send out a new disc, that you present to the Gardai showing it's the same car you were in?

What about parking tickets? How does someone who has just been assigned a CN reg who has gotten a ticket in the post, demonstrate that they only just got a CN reg, and they were a C up to that point.

It complicates a lot of issues, and nobody cares what your reg plate says anyway (unless its DL, presumably, which has a stigma for some reason).

It doesn't complicate anything. Any registration change is recorded in the vehicle's identity record regardless so there's no confusion as to what car is in question or who the registered owner is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

There would be no reason to keep the sequence number. You’d just get an entirely new 10-CN-xxx number. The whole thing is linked on a database.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

People in Donegal would be able to sell their cars in second hand market outside the county if the reg could be changed, at the moment they're married to them.
    I'd be fuming if I got an ex DL car though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

€1500 to request a number when registering a new car!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

It's silly that there are years and counties on the reg plates at all. The reg number doesn't need to mean anything other than a unique id for the car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Like providing proper vintage or vanity plates the pencil necked desk jockeys don't care.

Even the little they do for vanity plates is ridiculously priced. Its a grand now I believe; and only available for new vehicles and only when the sequence is actually reached - if you want 211-KY-20000 you won't get it.

I had actually done the work to reserve [year]-DL-[number relevant to car model], and then found out that the new car was actually pre-reg'ed in Dublin (I have a valid Donegal address, albeit I don't actually live there. Or Dublin). Got about a grand off for that which more than covered the €315 I think I paid for the reservation. This was quite some time ago, I still have the same car.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Youd have every naas road car dealer buying rough examples in donegal/cavan/monaghan and changing them to dublin plates and claiming the car lived in foxrock all its life

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Or we could do like the Belgians and have licence plates linked to drivers? You can customise your plate to some extend as well.

So then question is if you'd prefer to know something about the driver or something about the car from the licence plate

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Belgium

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's silly that there are years and counties on the reg plates at all. The reg number doesn't need to mean anything other than a unique id for the car.

Walk along a road with someone who doesn't know anything about cars. Point one out and ask them to describe it. They might know the Make, then they'll catch the year and county, along with colour. Possibly even recognise the model.

Take those descriptors away, you're left with a witness that will be lucky to recall both colour and make, then little else to narrow down anything to identify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Oh God not another thread on this rubbish... I'll scream and scream and scream until I get my D plate. Is the boom back or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Whatever about the county, the year is very definitely a vanity thing and helps promote sales, that's why they've now split the years in two. Yes, we both drive 2019 cars, but yours is 191 and mine's a 192, so I'm just that bit better off than you.

The county thing always made me laugh. A few have mentioned DL plates as an example. Not everyone up there is a boy racer. If you're buying a car that got the hole driven out of it on bad roads, it should be a lot more obvious than what's on the number plate. A D reg could have the clutch ready to fall out from spending its days sitting in traffic on the quays.
    CoBo55 wrote: »
    Oh God not another thread on this rubbish... I'll scream and scream and scream until I get my D plate. Is the boom back or what?

I know a few people in my area that have gone to quite a bit of effort into registering to a Dublin address to get a D reg for the resale value, instead of an RN one. It makes sense one one level, but I could not be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I know a few people in my area that have gone to quite a bit of effort into registering to a Dublin address to get a D reg for the resale value, instead of an RN one. It makes sense one one level, but I could not be arsed.

I thought it was as simple as saying your address was 1 Main Street, Dublin when you're buying the car and changing your address online a couple of days later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

you could sell your house and become a ' cultural ambassador' -
    and have any reg you like , and also never be stopped .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 BobC88

Digging & snooping around these threads as almost every car I want to buy is a D reg & I would give anything to re-register it.

D reg, for me & my ocd, ruin the look of every car. 201-D-999999. Same goes for C, L, W, etc. but not to same extent because there’s usually less numbers after the letter.

Give me a 201-MN-999 for example, just so symmetrical!

Advertisement