Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which exercise class would be more beneficial

Options
  • 07-08-2020 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to lose just over a stone, which is all on my tummy and thighs.

I have options of the following :

Kettlebell mix

Spinning

Cardio glutes and tums

HIRT

Would like to hear opinions of which ones would be worthwhile and suitable for me!

Comments

Can't dictate where to lose weight from..... In conjunction with exercise and a sensible calorie controlled diet you could drop a stone in 6 to 8 weeks.

Whatever exercise of those listed you prefer would be the one to go for or a mix of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Different people will make arguments for each....calories burned etc.

But the truth is the one you enjoy most is the one you will do most because you will continue to do it over time. Doing something that feels like a chore because it might burn more calories is zero craic and no one needs that.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Are you new to exercising or are you generally fit?

I found spin was great to start off with because it’s easier to do at your own pace and it’s a more fun way to exercise than some other classes.

But as the other posters said, do whichever you think you’ll enjoy most as there’s no point doing something you hate. Even if you lose the weight, it’ll be harder to keep off if you hate exercising.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Are you new to exercising or are you generally fit?

I found spin was great to start off with because it’s easier to do at your own pace and it’s a more fun way to exercise than some other classes.

But as the other posters said, do whichever you think you’ll enjoy most as there’s no point doing something you hate. Even if you lose the weight, it’ll be harder to keep off if you hate exercising.

I'm generally fit alright. I have started spinning but I'm just wondering would the others be better for losing weight. ... Good point though about picking the ones I would enjoy the most.... I think I wouldnt mind any.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Your diet is important when it comes to weight loss so just focus on doing classes you enjoy and eating well. Doing any of the classes will be better than nothing.

And don’t limit your calorie intake too much. It’s harder to lose weight if you’re miserable as you’re more likely to binge, eat junk or give up.

But honestly as someone who’s tried to lose weight countless times and is doing it successfully now, don’t make yourself miserable. You need to feel good about how you eat and exercise to lose the weight and keep it off. Otherwise it becomes a chore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Give each of them a try and go with the classes you enjoy the most as they will be the easiest to sustain in the long run. As others have said, enjoyment and personal preference should be the main consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Weight loss is mainly to do with diet. Pick a class you enjoy and will
    Be motivated to attend regularly. Also make sure to be active during the day, every day. Walk 10,000 steps, take the stairs, park a walk away from the shops. The general daily activity will all contribute to weight loss over time. As someone else suggested, using the My Fitness Pal app is a big help, even if you only use it for a week to get a good idea of food portion sizes, daily calories in/out and food choices.

Advertisement