Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Balancing valve required on hot water cylinder?

• 06-08-2020 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Question for a plumber

If the CH system is zoned to separately control the space heating and hot water, does the cylinder require a gate valve on the return to allow balancing of the hot water cylinder?

Ive seen mixed reports online, some say not allowed to put a balancing valve per Part L of the regulations as the full flow from the boiler is required to ensure water is heated as fast as possible and as on a separate zone, it can be timed to be on at a separate time from the heating anyway. I cant find this in Part L. Others say to fit one as otherwise the cylinder will take most of the heat if both heating and hot water are on simultaneously.

What is the generally accepted best way of doing it?

Comments

Question for a plumber

If the CH system is zoned to separately control the space heating and hot water, does the cylinder require a gate valve on the return to allow balancing of the hot water cylinder?

Ive seen mixed reports online, some say not allowed to put a balancing valve per Part L of the regulations as the full flow from the boiler is required to ensure water is heated as fast as possible and as on a separate zone, it can be timed to be on at a separate time from the heating anyway. I cant find this in Part L. Others say to fit one as otherwise the cylinder will take most of the heat if both heating and hot water are on simultaneously.

What is the generally accepted best way of doing it?

If you have controls on your system I don’t see the need of a balancing valve if you heat your hot water a hour before your heating is required, I’m not a fan of balancing valves but I can understand their need with older heating system without modern controls, feeding the heat output of a boiler designed to heat your whole house in to a small cylinder coil then putting a valve on the cylinder pipework to give more restriction can end in tears when there is no movement around the heating circuit due to closed motorised valves.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CaptainCoPilot

Thanks Gary.

Advertisement