Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Tie Storage?

• 02-08-2020 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Okay. I promise I won't fart This one up, like the bungee's one! :p

Cable ties. I have loads of them. Great for putting on peoples gates, and watching face book implode ;)

Murder though, aren't they? All those flat, plastic bags. Getting buried amongst each other on the shelf, and so on.

But, have ye Seen the Prices on the nice, properly made steel ones ~ always with a brand name ye probably paying half that price for too! Forty Quid though?!? Jeezuss! I want wall mounting too. Otherwise, when it inevitably gets knocked over ....!

I've googled till my eyes have bled. Am I missing something? Doesn't anyone make one at a sensible price? $25 one, on a.com. But, it's in US and they want $35 shipping :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

1 and a 1/4 waste pipe. cut them a bit less than the length of the ties. . mound them on a shelf vertical or at a slight angle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I never use the "one use only" ones anymore, I use reuseable cable ties bought from Lidl, they come in large size only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Stigura

I keep a variety of sizes. Endlessly useful things :)

And, yes, I've seen all the chubes, Blue Peter efforts. But, I have no pipe and specifically asked about the great looking, screw to the wall ones. Because, now and then, I just like nice things :D (But, Forty Quid!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

When opening the packet open in the centre of the packet and enough just to get two fingers in to pull ties out, this way they don't get loose and all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

When opening the packet open in the centre of the packet and enough just to get two fingers in to pull ties out, this way they don't get loose and all over the place.

If they're loose, use a tie or two the wrong way to keep them all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just put them all in an old spaghetti jar. Means you have to root a bit for small ones, but suits me.

Stigura wrote: »
    I keep a variety of sizes. Endlessly useful things :)

And, yes, I've seen all the chubes, Blue Peter efforts. But, I have no pipe and specifically asked about the great looking, screw to the wall ones. Because, now and then, I just like nice things :D (But, Forty Quid!!!)

Have you a link to these amazing yokes

Have you a link to these amazing yokes

Typical one: https://www.motamec.com/motamec-alloy-cable-tie-holder-wall-mounted-tie-stap-mounting-compartment.html

Lovely to look at. Four screws and job done. I just bridle at that price, Knowing it'll be because it's the equivalent of paying to advertise Them. It's like virtue signalling.

Saying that? As I sit here, with this stinking headache, having spent the afternoon just painting some old Dog cage, to Make a bungee station? Well; What the hell. Maybe forty quid for something that'll look the bollox and cost me absolutely no effort isn't so bad, after all?

I was eyeballing a sheet of corrugated iron, today. Possible? I have a riveter and a jig saw. I have this poxy, head splitting black fence paint.

Yeah. Way I'm feeling right now? I may well grab that one. Cheer myself up and leave my time free for doing more enjoyable things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

You'd knock up a wood version of that in less than an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    You'd knock up a wood version of that in less than an hour.

Few bits of pipe and glue would do it.

I started using the rapstraps after seeing them on dragons den. Fantastic yokes for gardening.

• Advertisement

Damn!!! Would ye actually believe that Wood simply never entered my fevered little mind?!? :D

I can't even Believe I never thought of that! As soon as I read it, the image flashed into my minds eye.

You, sir, get tonights cigar!

Typical one: https://www.motamec.com/motamec-alloy-cable-tie-holder-wall-mounted-tie-stap-mounting-compartment.html

Lovely to look at. Four screws and job done. I just bridle at that price, Knowing it'll be because it's the equivalent of paying to advertise Them. It's like virtue signalling.

Saying that? As I sit here, with this stinking headache, having spent the afternoon just painting some old Dog cage, to Make a bungee station? Well; What the hell. Maybe forty quid for something that'll look the bollox and cost me absolutely no effort isn't so bad, after all?

I was eyeballing a sheet of corrugated iron, today. Possible? I have a riveter and a jig saw. I have this poxy, head splitting black fence paint.

Yeah. Way I'm feeling right now? I may well grab that one. Cheer myself up and leave my time free for doing more enjoyable things.
    in fairness that is a fairly sexy cable tie rack. it is a little expensive alright.

Absolutely!!! It turns ye head, doesn't it? :p

But, jesus wept! Would ye believe; I actually had the page all filled in. £50, delivered?! I was just waiting to see if anyone could do a Richard Kuklinski. And then Gen. Zhukov appeared and lifted the scales.

Just come back from my tool room. Got some scraps of ply in there. I'd hope to start work tomorrow, Bungee Holder permitting. I'd start right now. But, had my dinner and having my Jameson. I'm not going Near tools now!

Thanks, all. And, obviously; There Will Be Photo's! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Okay. I promise I won't fart This one up, like the bungee's one! :p

Cable ties. I have loads of them. Great for putting on peoples gates, and watching face book implode ;)

Make sure that those gates are houses that have dogs in them - better still, put some chalk markings too. Though considering the weather they'll wash away quickly, not that such common sense applies to the Facebook hysterical mob or the daily mail sh1te.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/colored-stickers-target-homes-dog-owners/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pfftt, I just buy a brand new packet each time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Go into Dealz, buy the radiator pipe covers for €1.50, cut them in various sizes, glue to a base and back and voila or let the kids make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,006 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But then you see, every time you need a cable tie somewhere other than beside your container you take out a couple of different sizes just to be safe, then the ones you don't use get chucked in the bottom of the tool box, then next time you want one you root in the tool box because, you know, there is usually a couple there, then hike back to the container and take out a couple of different sizes etc.

Whereas I just take my spaghetti jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I just take all the ties out of the bag and use one of them tied tightly around the bunch to keep them together. tighten as necessary as you use them up. Simples.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

GreeBo wrote: »
    I feel seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Or, cut one of the top corners of the packet just enough for the head of the cable tie to come out. You might have to push the bag down over the head of the cable ties though.

• Advertisement

Up Donegal wrote: »
    Or, cut one of the top corners of the packet just enough for the head of the cable tie to come out. You might have to push the bag down over the head of the cable ties though.

if you do that then the ties can fall out and the bag is more likely to rip.
    if you put a hole in the center of one face they cant come out easily

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

GreeBo wrote: »

I only do controls commissioning now, so every few weeks it's into the wholesalers for about 4 packs of cable ties, go to work, leave at least one pack in a panel, come back, back to the wholesalers for more because they're gone, then realize I've left them in a different panel.

Anybody want about 40 half used packs of 3mm ties?

Fifty Quid Saved!

P8100468.jpg

Advertisement