Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance

• 15-06-2020 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Are there any travel insurance companies covering
    Covid 19 if u got it when out on holidays?
    I wouldn't like to get sick in Spain it would cost thousands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭horse7

Try this. Just got an email from trailfinders, it says the following

Get an instant quote & buy online
    Our market leading policy has extensive Covid-19 cover including cancellation prior to travel, curtailment of your trip, quarantine, and medical expenses whilst overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Mrtm17 wrote: »
    I don't know how true it is but a couple of "experts" said on radio that beacause the official government advice is not to travel then that would void any travel insurance plan if you were to get sick from any medical issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

I don't know how true it is but a couple of "experts" said on radio that beacause the official government advice is not to travel then that would void any travel insurance plan if you were to get sick from any medical issue.

There are some companies that are guaranteeing cover regardless, best to inquire before purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mrtm17 wrote: »

Why would it cost thousands?
    Your EHIC card would cover you if you need treatment. But you may just need to ride it out.

Why would you go to Spain if you are being asked not to ?

ted1 wrote: »

Who’s asking OP not to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

EHIC will cover in urgent treatment in public hospitals but no private expenses and wont cover any repatriation costs should you be too ill \ injured to return by regular transport.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Why would it cost thousands?
    Your EHIC card would cover you if you need treatment. But you may just need to ride it out.

There are people who travel to Spain and other countries because of reasons other than holidays.

horse7 wrote: »
    There are people who travel to Spain and other countries because of reasons other than holidays.

Such as? . it’s for work they’ll have valid insurance

Are they though, essential travel is fine by both, who’s to say it’s not? OP makes no mention of their reasons for their holiday.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Are they though, essential travel is fine by both, who’s to say it’s not? OP makes no mention of their reasons for their holiday.

Let’s ask..

OP what makes your journey essential?

List is out, in the journal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

From VHI website

1. Cover for pre-booked trips:
    Vhi MultiTrip will provide cancellation cover due to COVID-19 for all renewing customers for any trips booked in 2020 prior to March 19th, where your date of travel takes place after your current policy expires under the condition that:
    - You are unsuccessful in receiving any form of compensation from your airline, tour operator / accommodation provider
    - Provided you renew your MultiTrip policy by the last day of your cooling off period.
    2. Emergency medical cover:
    We are happy to confirm that from 01 June, Vhi MultiTrip provides members with COVID-19 medical cover for all future trips as long as you are not travelling against DFA advice.
    All Vhi PMI policies provide emergency medical cover abroad, including for COVID-19 related medical needs, of at least €65,000. Vhi MultiTrip tops up the emergency medical cover that exists on domestic health insurance policies to €10 million.
    3. Extension to cooling off period:
    We recognise that it may now be taking more time to consider planning a holiday at home or abroad and for this reason we’ve extended your cooling off period by an additional 14 days (now 28 days in total) to allow you extra time to review your cover and contact us with any changes you may wish to make.
    4. Staycation cover enhancement: (Trips in Ireland)
    For staycation travellers, the domestic trip cancellation benefit is being enhanced to cover all overnight pre-booked trips. This benefit has changed the minimum nights that a customer must have pre booked and pre-paid accommodation from 2 nights to 1 night.
    5. Price change:
    From 15th July we have also reduced our premium by 25% on base rates only. This price change will impact any new and renewing customers from this date.
    Please note: Vhi MultiTrip are no longer able to provide for claims related to COVID-19 on new policies issued, with the exception of emergency medical claims as long as you are not travelling against DFA advice.

How did the government come up with the list of countries for travel. If it's the R numbers,is there a site that shows the R numbers?

Michael Martin is on TV now,says Ireland is at 5 cases per 100,000, Canada is at 2. What the government is doing doesn't make sense.

Let’s ask..

OP what makes your journey essential?

You ask, I'm not so nosey :p, it's none of my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭acequion

My VHI multutrip is due for renewal on 30th July.

Is there any point in renewing? My trips in the foreseeable will be to Spain, one possibility to Portugal, neither of which are currently on the green list so I would be travelling against DFA advice.

However I was reading an article which said that premiums will soar, approx 25% increase because of all the claims they will have to deal with this year. Implying that people should renew to keep the existing cost.

But should I just take my chances and buy a new policy at some point in the future when this over? Even though it will probably be more expensive. Have I anything to gain by renewing now for a year when I'll be doing little travel and not to those countries currently on green list? What do people think? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭treascon

My annual travel policy is due for renewal shortly with multitrip.com. Even though I have no travel plans, I have decided to renew it. They announced today that they will cover cancellation as a result of a positive Covid 19 result and will cover medical expenses abroad as a result of Covid 19 diagnosis with regards to the green list. The thinking behind it it is better to have continuous cover than broken cover. Not sure whether or not this makes a difference but better safe than sorry. And the price is around the same as what I paid last year. God knows how much it may cost next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭johnire

I think you’re way of reasoning is spot on! One thing you maybe interested in is the 2 year policy Multitrip do...I usually get that and find it very handy.

treascon wrote: »
    My annual travel policy is due for renewal shortly with multitrip.com. Even though I have no travel plans, I have decided to renew it. They announced today that they will cover cancellation as a result of a positive Covid 19 result and will cover medical expenses abroad as a result of Covid 19 diagnosis with regards to the green list. The thinking behind it it is better to have continuous cover than broken cover. Not sure whether or not this makes a difference but better safe than sorry. And the price is around the same as what I paid last year. God knows how much it may cost next year!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

How can VHI charge a premium back in Feb given no travel has been allowed pretty much since.

Have emailed and phoned - nothing.

Car insurance customers have had part refunds, anykne heard of similar for travel insurance customers?

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    My VHI multutrip is due for renewal on 30th July.

Is there any point in renewing? My trips in the foreseeable will be to Spain, one possibility to Portugal, neither of which are currently on the green list so I would be travelling against DFA advice.

However I was reading an article which said that premiums will soar, approx 25% increase because of all the claims they will have to deal with this year. Implying that people should renew to keep the existing cost.

But should I just take my chances and buy a new policy at some point in the future when this over? Even though it will probably be more expensive. Have I anything to gain by renewing now for a year when I'll be doing little travel and not to those countries currently on green list? What do people think? Thanks.

Travel insurance isn't valid if you travel against DFA advice.

As for buying now to avoid a premium spike next year....they could still do that. Will knkyvwirk of the industry pushes up all premiums otherwise people will just move to the cheaper providers.

I renewed in Feb and wish I didn't - has been a waste of money as I'm covered for international travel I can't make. Would gave been better ofc having no insurance until I book next trip.

Travel insurance isn't valid if you travel against DFA advice.

Several companies are providing cover regardless of the DFA advice, best to check before you make a blanket statement like that.

Am very undecided. Must give them a ring, its VHI multi trip. All my trips will be to Spain, maybe one to Portugal. And next year, living in hope :)

Several companies are providing cover regardless of the DFA advice, best to check before you make a blanket statement like that.

Who are they?

Who are they?

You would need to ask your own but Trailfinders are one, Chill also confirmed cover.

You would need to ask your own but Trailfinders are one, Chill also confirmed cover.

Rather you than me to trust them, insurance companies are notorious for trying to wriggle out of claims and COVID will be no different.

Devil will be in the detail not the headline saying 'we cover xxx'

Rather you than me to trust them, insurance companies are notorious for trying to wriggle out of claims and COVID will be no different.

Devil will be in the detail not the headline saying 'we cover xxx'

That's fine, if I have it in writing I'm happy, personally I don't consider travel insurance necessary unless you think you're particularly going to need it, the services card etc is enough for normal complaints .

Just got on to VHI multitrip and got attended to by an extremely snotty individual, whatever happened to niceness and civility to customers! :rolleyes::mad: Anyway rant over!

She said that no company will provide cover if a traveller is going against DFA advice and tried preaching at me about Spain :rolleyes:

So I reckon I'll cancel and take out a new policy when things are better. I will be travelling to Spain but to my own place where I have house insurance and the European health card if hospitalised. I'lll see down the line if I go to Portugal.

I actually wanted to be persuaded to renew the insurance as I like being insured but that individual turned me right off.

That's fine, if I have it in writing I'm happy, personally I don't consider travel insurance necessary unless you think you're particularly going to need it, the services card etc is enough for normal complaints .

For the sake of a hundred odd euro a year covering multi trips worldwide personally it seems a no brained for me. Especially outside the EU for medical cover.

• Advertisement

Trailfinders have explained that unless DFA has it on their green list your not covered.

Advertisement