Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cuckoo calling - is it common to hear them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Unfortunately quite rare now in Ireland. Heard one once about 40 years ago while on holidays at my grans in remote Co. Kerry.

Seemingly loads of them around me, luckily.
    Just north of Galway city, by a bog.

I think I just saw one being chased by a couple of crows. Would crows chase one off?

It was bigger than a blackbird, greyish brown and flying with its tail down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Scotty # wrote: »
    Unfortunately quite rare now in Ireland.

really :confused: hear them every year here in east-clare

*maybe its the curlew you're thinking of

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

The cuckoo reached Glenties in Donegal about 3 weeks ago according to Granny. She is 99 this month and claims it was late this year, she didn't think it was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

They're back here every year around the same time in south Kerry, beautiful bird to hear.

Sometimes I think the cuckoo and the pheasant around here are having a competition to outdo one another, usually short intervals between each of the calls.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭endainoz

Mid to late April is always the time for cuckoo in North Clare anyway, glad to say they aren't rare around here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

They're spring/summer visitors here, they come here to breed. They usually arrive April, and can be heard calling in April and May as the males search for a mate. You just won't hear them at other times of the year as they're either finished mating, or they're just not here!
    Crows will certainly chase them off... they parasitise the nests of small birds by throwing the eggs laid by the small bird out of their nest, and laying their own egg in there instead for the small birds to rear the cuckoo chick. Whether they do this to crows I don't know... seems unlikely but perhaps not impossible? Crows will chase off any bird of prey or perceived threat... perhaps they just don't like cuckoos because they look different to what the crows are used to throughout the rest of the year? Happy for a more knowledgeable bird person to fill in the gaps here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Been hearing them daily for about the last month. Occasionally two at once

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Fairly common sound in Mayo to be heard. All through the years including this year

Have heard them in a couple of different areas of north Offaly too. They did seem a little later than usual this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Delighted to hear they are so common in some parts. I was under the impression their numbers were in serious decline.

I've never heard one in Dublin/Meath :-(

Scotty # wrote: »
    Delighted to hear they are so common in some parts. I was under the impression their numbers were in serious decline.

I've never heard one in Dublin/Meath :-(

They always seem to prefer really rural, wild, open, uninhabited places, like bogs, or cleared forest plantations on mountainsides... I'm basing this entirely on my own experience! As a Dub who migrated to the Midlands, I had never heard one when I lived in Dublin either, even in what were then rural parts of the county. Never heard them when I lived in Louth either, now that I think of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've heard them often while hiking up in the Dublin Wicklow Mountains. Usually in the distance in a far off forested area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

Heard one yesterday late afternoon up near Slieve Callan in Co. Clare. First one I've heard this year after moving back to a rural community.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Seemingly loads of them around me, luckily.
    Just north of Galway city, by a bog.

I think I just saw one being chased by a couple of crows. Would crows chase one off?

It was bigger than a blackbird, greyish brown and flying with its tail down.

If I were a crow, I'd be attempting to do more harm than just chasing it off. Cuckoos may sound pleasant but their breeding habits are despicable. I know that's anthropomorphising it, but they are a nasty parasite in terms of other birds.

I have heard plenty in Galway and Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭endainoz

cnocbui wrote: »
    If I were a crow, I'd be attempting to do more harm than just chasing it off. Cuckoos may sound pleasant but their breeding habits are despicable. I know that's anthropomorphising it, but they are a nasty parasite in terms of other birds.

The bouldness of the cuckoo always has a mystique about them though. A good indication of the summer coming and they are associated with that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

DBB wrote: »
    They're spring/summer visitors here, they come here to breed. They usually arrive April, and can be heard calling in April and May as the males search for a mate. You just won't hear them at other times of the year as they're either finished mating, or they're just not here!
    Crows will certainly chase them off... they parasitise the nests of small birds by throwing the eggs laid by the small bird out of their nest, and laying their own egg in there instead for the small birds to rear the cuckoo chick. Whether they do this to crows I don't know... seems unlikely but perhaps not impossible? Crows will chase off any bird of prey or perceived threat... perhaps they just don't like cuckoos because they look different to what the crows are used to throughout the rest of the year? Happy for a more knowledgeable bird person to fill in the gaps here! :)

I'd put it down to the fact that Cuckoos resemble Sparrowhawks in flight and appearance! They do that to scare small birds away to allow themselves access to their nests. In different parts of the world, the local cuckoo species resembles the local small hawk/sparrowhawk-equivalent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

There's a bird or birds , only one, making loud sounds for years in the mornings near my house

No idea what it is and it's certainly not music to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

:cool:

they're the cute whores of the bird world....i wonder how they evolved to do that? its amazing really

• Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I have no idea what that word means or even if it is actually a word and I couldn't care less.

I always thought Cuckoos were super cool and when a few weeks ago I got the chance to explain to my youngest lad that that was their call he could hear and their modus operandi he thought they were avian geniuses.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭mossie

Haven't heard one for years in rural North Cork. Did see one a couple of years ago being mobbed by crows though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The cuckoo is fierce plenty this year.find yourself a bog near a fir plantation and you’ll find it.best time for to hear them calling is late evening on a calm windless evening.
    Oceans of cuckoos this past month in Galway.
    If any of ye are stuck in Galway pm me and I’ll send ye a spot to hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You think? Cuckoos are a family of birds, not a single species. The vast majority of them of raise their own young.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’re in east cavan.
    I remember the cuckoo when I was a child but they disappeared here maybe early 80’s

They returned two years ago, last year we could hear three different birds calling in the afternoons. They returned here 10 days ago and are very vocal.

There is an abundance of insects and flies in this area as it’s not intensively farmed and as a result we get plenty of birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

never shut up in the spring here in sw donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I heard one calling just after sunrise last week, while walking in the woods of Carrick hill, Glenealy. Never heard one before, great to hear. Also heard a woodpecker on another morning in the same location.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

I'm on the Dublin/Wicklow border. Hear them most years up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fairly common sound in Mayo to be heard. All through the years including this year
    Always heard the cuckoo at home in Mayo when I was young.

Was up home last May and heard one.

Have been living in rural Kerry for over a decade and have yet to hear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Saw one last year as I was setting wild bird cover, it followed me along as I scattered the seed, first time I'd seen one, hear them most years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

dogmatix wrote: »
    I heard one calling just after sunrise last week, while walking in the woods of Carrick hill, Glenealy. Never heard one before, great to hear. Also heard a woodpecker on another morning in the same location.

The Irish for Magpie is Snag Breac, the woodpecker died out in the wood clearances by the English in the mid 1600s, the magpie arrived in the 1670s and the name was transferred over due to their slight similarities.

Advertisement