Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

EI-DUO operating the 105 to JFK this afternoon, looks to be the only A330-200 still flying?

Any news on EI-EIK? Seems to have had its Qatar reg removed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭eam77

When do these new covid routes start

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

eam77 wrote: »
    When do these new covid routes start

"Covid routes"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

It seems more cuts are imminent. Has to be said this is a very challenging time mentally for EI employees, as well as all of those in the aviation. It's jaw dropping to see whats happening to the sector.

Look after yourselves number one, both your mental and phsyical health.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Jack1985 wrote: »
    It seems more cuts are imminent. Has to be said this is a very challenging time mentally for EI employees, as well as all of those in the aviation. It's jaw dropping to see whats happening to the sector.

Look after yourselves number one, both your mental and phsyical health.

What's your source or just stating opinion on the matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Mc Love wrote: »

I believe staff were informed today that with effect from mid June layoffs would commence and that not all staff could be maintained on their current 50% pay levels either with further pay cuts beyond 50% for those that remain.

The airline must feel they are still a long way off getting their operations going again, the arrival quarantine announced today will be seen as another setback but not exactly an unexpected one.

Aer Lingus must still feel somewhat at sea with regards to rebuilding its schedule, there's very little evidence to suggest Europe is ready to start flying again and the US will be no go area for quite a while. With the UK and Ireland common travel area remaining unaffected by the 14 day arrival quarantine announced by the two nations today, maybe there's scope for UK operations to begin next month?

However, Aer Lingus will no doubt be planning for a phased restart of their wider operations but they remain incredibly quiet on the details whereas Ryanair has been boasting of a 40% schedule by July and other European carriers like Lufthansa have spoken about restarting Asian and Middle Eastern markets. While Aer Lingus, like all other airlines, will have to be mindful of government travel restrictions and imposed quarantines, they also need to ensure they aren't too slow or cautious in reopening and missing out on that first mover advantage which is definitely why Ryanair's motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Mc Love wrote: »

There is truth in this I'm afraid.

I've been forwarded a message which seems to be a multi union communique. It states the current pay arrangements will continue for another 4 weeks, after which It warms of the threat of "unilateral measures including layoffs and further reductions in hours and pay" being taken. It resolved to protect members interests and called on the company to abide by existing agreements.

To me this is usual pre-dispute posturing but in this circumstance, it's entirely down to factors outside both sides control. A strike is pointless, so where can this go?

It's an apalling situation for everyone involved. Fingers crossed for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

There is truth in this I'm afraid.

I've been forwarded a message which seems to be a multi union communique. It states the current pay arrangements will continue for another 4 weeks, after which It warms of the threat of "unilateral measures including layoffs and further reductions in hours and pay" being taken. It resolved to protect members interests and called on the company to abide by existing agreements.

To me this is usual pre-dispute posturing but in this circumstance, it's entirely down to factors outside both sides control. A strike is pointless, so where can this go?

It's an apalling situation for everyone involved. Fingers crossed for the best.

Very accurate summing up of the current situation. Would hope the unions have some sort of plan for the next move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Very accurate summing up of the current situation. Would hope the unions have some sort of plan for the next move.

The unions are the equivalent of a ash tray on a motorbike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

EI-DUO operating the 105 to JFK this afternoon, looks to be the only A330-200 still flying?

It's the only 200 I've noticed flying the past number of weeks. LAX is stored in Shannon I believe, not sure about the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭cson

NH2013 wrote: »
    I believe staff were informed today that with effect from mid June layoffs would commence and that not all staff could be maintained on their current 50% pay levels either with further pay cuts beyond 50% for those that remain.

Jaysus at < 50% most cabin crew would be better off on welfare or working a minimum wage job. I get it from the pilots perspective in terms of keeping your hours ticking over, but **** that's still very very rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I was shown an AL Payslip last week. The majority of the pay was the €700. I’d say the AL portion was no more than 30% and there was a tax refund too.

joeysoap wrote: »
    I was shown an AL Payslip last week. The majority of the pay was the €700. I’d say the AL portion was no more than 30% and there was a tax refund too.

They are taking the piss. Government funding most of that show.

kona wrote: »
    They are taking the piss. Government funding most of that show.

As they are with various other businesses, including airlines. That's the name of the game at the moment unfortunately.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When it comes to the subsidy scheme from an employers perspective, once the assurances about it not being considered to be trading insolvent came in you'd be mad not to take it if you could. Free money.

L1011 wrote: »
    When it comes to the subsidy scheme from an employers perspective, once the assurances about it not being considered to be trading insolvent came in you'd be mad not to take it if you could. Free money.

Doesnt make it right. Some employers will be using it fairly, others however are using it to make up 50% of peoples wages the employees will be on the hook for the tax. Its pathetic and something that many people are familiar with from this government.

The fact of the matter is that since it kicked in, some people are enjoying 2 months off on it. Others are working away keeping the show running for the same terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

-LAX , -DAA and -GEY are all stored in shannon at the moment. Not sure why -DUO is still flying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Believe it or not the current operations can require all the A330-300

There can be up to 7 tied up on the PEK operations

1 JFK, 1 ORD
    =9
    +1 Spare

And since PEK is only -300 to maximise volume of cargo, if there is a need for a further aircraft if it will be a -200 and flown to JFK or ORD. You most certainly don't want to cancel in the current circumstances, how and where to accommodate people might be tricky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

-EIK is now parked over next to the Aer Lingus hangar anyone know what will happen to this frame surely it's not going to be needed any time soon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Shamrockj wrote: »
    -EIK is now parked over next to the Aer Lingus hangar anyone know what will happen to this frame surely it's not going to be needed any time soon.

There was a pic on the DUB spotters page on Facebook about 5-6 days ago. Showed it in that location with A7 decals over fuselage reg removed.

Tenger wrote: »
    There was a pic on the DUB spotters page on Facebook about 5-6 days ago. Showed it in that location with A7 decals over fuselage reg removed.

Now reg’d EI-EIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

NH2013 wrote: »

Staff pay cut of 50%, surly some confusion here?

My take:
    If the Government scheme stays for a few extra months (IMO it will) and they are return a solid flying schedule then pay cuts will be more moderate but if it ends cuts will likely be more and less staff if they can't resume operations fully but 50% is mad and I don't think they would ever get such cuts passed nor should they try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭pm.

Looking at flight radar it looks like the US has not been effected by covid. When do you think we will see passanger flights return to the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭HTCOne

pm. wrote: »
    Looking at flight radar it looks like the US has not been effected by covid. When do you think we will see passanger flights return to the US?

A condition of the bailout the airlines received in the US was that they maintain a certain level of frequencies and not lay anyone off until October, just because they’re flying doesn’t mean they’re full.

Also, having that particular administration doesn’t help. The disease will be running around in rural and red states for months yet sadly. Other nations may want to restrict access for US citizens for a long time yet, although Trump may enact petulant retaliations.

Bear in mind passenger flights to the US never stopped though, EI are still flying DUB - JFK/ORD/BOS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

With US citizens only allowed to enter the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The list is quite a bit more than US citizens, if the US government wants you to travel to the US you will travel. As always if it suits the US there is a way within its complex immigration process to make exceptions.

EI ops are mainly for freight and mail but there is some passenger traffic, not much but there is some movement.

With the 14 day rule coming in that will probably cut back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭cson

Right now I believe the only people who can fly to the US from Ireland (and vice versa) would be (i) US (or Irish) National repatriating, (ii) Irish Green Card holders and (iii) Dual US/Irish passport holders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭HTCOne

cson wrote: »
    Right now I believe the only people who can fly to the US from Ireland (and vice versa) would be (i) US (or Irish) National repatriating, (ii) Irish Green Card holders and (iii) Dual US/Irish passport holders.

I think any EU citizen or person permitted to work in the EU is allowed on the eastbound flights.

Advertisement