Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone hazard a guess for when the gyms will re-open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    On the topic of gym reopenings, does anyone know of a site online where I could buy kettlebells/dumbbells for reasonably good price? All sites I've looked on are either too expensive or their stock is sold out. Thanks in advance!
    Mr Price shops had them during the week in all sizes iirc, might be worth checking out if there is one near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nullzero wrote: »
    Gloves will likely have to be provided and used for all members at all times. Staff required to enforce the use of said gloves as well as constant cleaning of equipment.
    I would say masks are more important than gloves, and nobody in a gym will want to wear either.

I would not want to be around some lad struggling with weight and letting out a big misty gasp of air. This 2m advise was not taking stuff like that into account, I saw reports say joggers outside running should be leaving up to 10m distance, as they leave a slipstream of mist -obviously they will be on treadmills indoors, but still point remains the 2m is just a guideline for "normal" activities.

I can see bad times ahead for gyms, I doubt they are going to have a big rush of people going back just because someone says its suddenly safe overnight. How are annual memberships working out? is anybody being stung? if they are some might worry about renewing one as the virus could reappear at a later date.

Some people will have invested a lot of money in equipment and get used to working out at home and probably just stick with it. In another forum I was saying I reckon loads of lads will by hair clippers/shavers and do their own hair, and have time to get good at it,so I'd expect barbers might see a fall in trade after.
    Adverts or Done Deal.
    I see some chancer looking for 130euro for a pair of bog standard argos york dumbbells
    https://www.donedeal.ie/gymequipment-for-sale/york-dumbbells-20kg-set-brand-new/24581727?utm_campaign=contentsharing&utm_medium=advertsweb&utm_source=adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Whilst a bit of an extreme point of view, gyms are indeed a breeding ground of all things good and bad. Covid 19 is just so contagious you would be high risk in a gym. However, when the antibody tests are rolled out, gyms could reopen for those who were tested, another couple of months yet though.

People have caught Corvid-19 twice so it looks like antibodies won't be of much help to people and if people can catch it twice that means a vaccine is going to be nearly impossible. But at some point the cost of shutting down the world will have to be weighed against the amount of people dieing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The University of Limerick Sports Arena gym is converted to an out patient hospital. Be awhile before that be open for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rubadub wrote: »

Holy sh*t. Checked Gymless out but they didn't have much of a range of dumbbells.

I'd get as much out of a couple of resistance bands as I would out of those yokes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Well if full lockdown is until 5th of May, the optimistic view is that they'll gradually reduce the restrictions from 6th of May.

I imagine gyms and pubs would be last, so maybe after the June Bank Holiday gyms could open??

That's assuming the virus is moving in the right direction in the week leading up to the May Bank Holiday, this may not be the case we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

leanin2019 wrote: »
    Well if full lockdown is until 5th of May, the optimistic view is that they'll gradually reduce the restrictions from 6th of May.

I imagine gyms and pubs would be last, so maybe after the June Bank Holiday gyms could open??

That's assuming the virus is moving in the right direction in the week leading up to the May Bank Holiday, this may not be the case we'll have to wait and see.

Regardless of when they start to relax current restrictions, it won't be back to 'normal' in 4 weeks. The slower it's done, the less likely the return to full lockdown. 4 weeks to having pubs open again, where physical distancing just won't be practicable, would be reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If the govt had their act together they wouod be building outdoor heated 50m pools with retractable ceapings so we could be exercising away healthily and getting an all over workout while in a nice windy environment. Half the planet has municipal pools - would work well now to have few available in a low risk environment.

Of course they lwt the old sea baths in Malahide, Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire that used use sea water and had a heating component fall to ruin and then to developers. Pity.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Most of the chains have frozen annual memberships.

Dying for a swim but agree it will be a while :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Can we add a poll to this thread?

I think we can safely say it won't be May,

So possible options:

June
    July
    August
    September or later

Does anybody know of anywhere where I could get a half decent set of adjustable dumbbells at this point? 15-20 kg per side ideally but I could work with 10kg if I had to

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Lidl next week

Just looked at it. 10.5kg but a bizarre collection of plates according to their website: 2 x 1kg, 2 x 1.25kg, 2 x 2kg, 1 x 1.95kg.

Lidl next week

Good find, that will do me for now, looks like I will need to buy two sets at €20 each. It’s not a bad deal in fairness. Handy to have them in the house anyway

Might get the 17kg Bulgarian sandbag.

it isnt ideal but they are a scarce product at the moment

I was more just bemused by the weight of the plates.

Friend of mine abroad was telling me the price of weights (per kilo) has gone through the roof. Not as much from suppliers but on the likes of Craigslist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

If any of you are long term members of a gym i would advise reaching out to them i reached out to mine and was delighted when i was offered some equipment you have nothing to lose by asking!
    Im like a pig in ****e now everything that i need to get a good workout at home bands only go so far in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Did they alow you to take a treadmill or a bike?

afatbollix wrote: »
    Did they alow you to take a treadmill or a bike?

Was only looking for weights and adjustable bench both never asked!
    Worth asking at least a spin bike is fairly portable like!
    I got barbell plates 4 sets of dumbells and bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    If any of you are long term members of a gym i would advise reaching out to them i reached out to mine and was delighted when i was offered some equipment you have nothing to lose by asking!
    Im like a pig in ****e now everything that i need to get a good workout at home bands only go so far in fairness!

Same as my gym they let me take some equipment home safe to say I won't be cancelling my membership anytime soon.

• Advertisement

Same as my gym they let me take some equipment home safe to say I won't be cancelling my membership anytime soon.
    Im 100% greatfull and offered some money as a deposit they would have none of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah the owner of my gym let us take barbells, plates, medicine balls, kettlebells, rowing machines etc. home with us. Basically anything we wanted.

God how we took training for granted!:o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Am dying to get back into the gym swimming pool.

Can't borrow it from the gym :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Luckily my brother bought those Lidl weights last year. They're a godsend. They're a bit to light for him, but perfect for me.

I will be a bit reluctant to go to the gym when they reopen. They're filthy places at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭antimatterx

how much can you fit onto them if you had a few sets ?

You could fit 4/5 plates on each size, but not comfortably. If you're doing any overhead movements or hamstring curls, they will start to slide after have a few reps. We have to watch each other and catch them beforehand. If you doing arms or rows, etc they will be fine.

They're not the best dumbells in the world. They're are cheap, and allow you to do some exercise, which is something in this current climate.

Just looked at it. 10.5kg but a bizarre collection of plates according to their website: 2 x 1kg, 2 x 1.25kg, 2 x 2kg, 1 x 1.95kg.

the 1.95kg is the handle! (if thats the odd one you spot) the locks are probably the extra 50grams.

Most come with these 0.5 and 0.25g weights but I would like these larger ones.

I do not like those clamp things though, rules out lots of stuff. I have those clips one a tricep and ezcurl bar, but its OK for them.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/home-fitness/10-5kg-dumbbell-set/p40607
    311271.jpg
    If you have 2 sets you can load up one to be heavier and just use 1 arm at a time. You can see how they sit inside each other, so you would load up a 2kg, 1.25kg, 2kg so the 1.25kg is sandwiched in the middle, this will save on space sitting in the indent. Another 1.25kg might be loaded on first so it sits inside the first 2kg plate.

the 1.95kg is the handle! (if thats the odd one you spot) the locks are probably the extra 50grams.

Ah hah...the handle of course.

Ah hah...the handle of course.
    my first thought was that they asked the supplier for plates and they said "we are nearly sold out, everybody wants them, but we do have these dodgy miscast ones that ended up just below 2kg, they are to be remelted but you can have them"

but then I spotted it was a single item, and knew that mine are about 2kg.

They should make it clear though!

• Advertisement

my first thought was that they asked the supplier for plates and they said "we are nearly sold out, everybody wants them, but we do have these dodgy miscast ones that ended up just below 2kg, they are to be remelted but you can have them"

but then I spotted it was a single item, and knew that mine are about 2kg.

They should make it clear though!

Haha yeah it did sound like they lashed a few seconds into the mix.

Not sure how I didn't cop it was the handle when it's only a single item in the list

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement