Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old silver items

• 14-03-2020 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Some items once owned by grand aunt now my mother.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Some more bits.

More items that I would love to know more about. Ivory letter opener also

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

bogwalrus wrote: »

you can look up irish silver hallmarks here https://www.925-1000.com/dlDublin.html

the 5th pic shows the crowned harp which is the hallmark for irish silver.

other english marks here http://www.silvercollection.it/dictionarydecryptingUKsterlingmarks.html

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

More items that I would love to know more about. Ivory letter opener also

The ivory letter opener is very nice, it is French Dieppe , earlyt half of the 19th century.

That's a collectible piece ! One of the nicest i've seen of its type

(i) Dressing table mirror around 1900 in date, London assay mark
    Glass should be bevelled, maybe replaced, but wont alter the value much

(ii) Irish strawberry dish, Dublin assay, torc mark for 1973
    SIlver with torc mark has become quite collectible

(iii) Neo-classical revival candle stick, prob London 1910 or so
    Popular in pairs :) You'll find a clear hall mark inside the nozzle

(iv) Indian rupee dish interesting but not particularly special

(v) Looks like part of a carriage , dutch or German 19th , silver content not as high

• Advertisement

Thank you for helping me identify a few pieces. Who do you think is the person on the ivory letter opener? Doesn't really look like napoleon.

I put a bit of effort in and was able to find out that the sailboat is neif with an english importers mark. Dated around 1910ish but maybe the piece is a bit older. The silver content looks similar to that small carriage so I am going to assume neif and around same date.

There are a good few more antiques hidden away in the house. One that comes to mind is a round ivory carved religious scene in a round frame with glass. Maybe 15cm x 15cm in size. Maybe french dieppe like letter opener.

Next time I am home will post them. I figured it's nice having the images searchable on the internet somewhere rather than hidden away.

Hi Bogwalrus - never heard of Neif !

Presume its German then ?

Still learning new things all the time - Thanks

Hi Bogwalrus - never heard of Neif !

Presume its German then ?

Still learning new things all the time - Thanks

Yes I found almost identical to the cherub and boat listed on a few auction sites and pinterest. The german make Neif was referenced a number of times. It took a fair bit of googling.

Hi Bogwalrus

Sorry I'm only logging in here every now and then.
    I'd have to see the letter opener to be sure, but yep I would think the figurative end is a commemorative depiction of Napoleon. There is plenty of Napoleonic works out there and there is good money to be paid by collectors.

All of your stuff is interesting or of decent quality.

The roundel filled with ivory carving sounds even more interesting -

There were some half spheres carved with religious subjects in old colonial spots and they can be ridiculously collectible.
    It's a long shot but it's worth checking.

Post a pic and I can tell you what you have !
    I'm not tying to buy anything btw :) But you should know if its something worth insuring or hiding in a very safe place.

Any of those Indo-Portugese, Ceylon or Goa ivories are rare, and just the type of thing that lies undiscovered in people's homes.

I was actually back in the family home today and had a look at that piece of the religious scene. It is not Ivory but some sort of plaster or similar. It is very old though. I didnt bother taking a pic of it as it is not ivory.

I did take a pic of this very cool teapot though. Unfortunately the bit at the top has been glued back on but otherwise lovely condition. I think maybe Japanese?

• Advertisement

Just Wow ! I love it - pity about the damage to the cover but this is rare.

I'm going to look up the Meissen records to unravel the impressed numbers and the incised potters mark. I'll come back to you with more info next time I'm on here....

So this is a Meissen 'eight sided' teapot following the design of the earliest European teapot made by Bottger.
    The date of your Mam's teapot is a bit tricky, the design comes from 1710 but the marks suggest late 1700's.

The gilding is of the old mercury type, which stopped around 1800-ish. The mercury workers were going demented from poisoning in those days and it was eventually prohibited.

It's got a good value despite the damage.

Meissen octagonal teapot, c.1718 porcelain

(Meissen achteckige Teekanne, um 1718 Porzellan)

Johann Friedrich Bottger

Johann_Friedrich_Bottger_-_Meissen_octagonal_teapot_c1718_porcelain_-_%28MeisterDrucke-354275%29.jpg

Now as far as I know the impressed numerals weren't used until the second half of 1700's , so your one is probably a bit later than the one above.
    I'll see what I can find ...................

I honestly didn't think it was that old. Maybe 1890 or thereabouts. Very cool indeed. There is all sorts of bits and bobs around the family home. A few rare plates and small items. I was told I am getting a big platter plate in my inheritance. I think the plate has some long history with Cork. I might take a pic of that next time.

Appreciate you doing some investigation work! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭zimmermania

you can look up irish silver hallmarks here https://www.925-1000.com/dlDublin.html

the 5th pic shows the crowned harp which is the hallmark for irish silver.

other english marks here http://www.silvercollection.it/dictionarydecryptingUKsterlingmarks.html
    Its 1973 made by Royal Irish,the extra mark is the Glensheen collar its only on silver made in 1973 to mark irelands entry to the EEC,

Advertisement