Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Matrix Resurrections (with Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss and Lana Wachowski)

• 20-08-2019 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,442 ✭✭✭✭

Oooh! :)
    Lana Wachowski is set to write and direct a fourth film set in the world of “The Matrix,” with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss reprising their roles as Neo and Trinity, respectively.

Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures will produce and globally distribute the film. Warner Bros. Picture Group chairman Toby Emmerich made the announcement on Tuesday.

“We could not be more excited to be re-entering ‘The Matrix’ with Lana,” said Emmerich. “Lana is a true visionary—a singular and original creative filmmaker—and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in ‘The Matrix’ universe.”

More here:
    https://variety.com/2019/film/news/matrix-4-keanu-reeves-carrie-anne-moss-lana-wachowski-1203307955/
    Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,266 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They should have stopped after the first one.

The Wachowski's like George Lucas hit on a great idea and couldn't follow it up they needed to / should have hand it over to others to continue the story.

Saying that I will still go see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A series that has no need whatsoever to be a franchise: the first film explored the idea in all of the depth and clarity that was there. Stranger things have happened than the possibility of another good Matrix movie, but yeah can’t help but feel this is redundant out of the gate. And Revolutions really was awful ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭AllForIt

They should remake the third one instead of sequel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Feels like a desperation move from the Wachowskis; they haven't had a hit since, well, since The Matrix and I daresay they're going back to the well because they have no other move. I know "Sense 8" has a cult following, but that's kinda it, it was super niche.

Can't see any studio bankrolling yet another inevitable box office flop. I bet this sequel is a quid-pro-quo for another "personal project" in the future, the studio salivating at strip mining a popular IP for some nostalgia dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

Reloaded had it's moments, Revolutions was doughy, indulgent tripe though.

This has potential, but I'd be sceptical too. We'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Heh, in first one Neo was contacted on that trusty Nokia. Mad how much tech and surveillance has changed since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Is her sister Lilly not going to be involved in this one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting note that David Mitchell (Cloud Atlas author) is co-writing the script. That’s an unusual creative addition to the mix, albeit someone who’s worked with Lana before.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Dunno about anyone else but I'm delighted.

The first Matrix is an absolute classic. The last film I think where I went into the cinema without so much as knowing a basic plot.

Reloaded was disappointing but it think is better than it gets credit for.

Revolutions was dreadful.... really really poor IMO.

If this is as good as Reloaded and gives the films a decent close I'm all for it. If it's **** then we have lost nothing. Colour me excited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

I'm probably one of the very very few people who liked Reloaded AND Revolutions..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Still Haven't seen 2/3

I don't want to taint the first one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Terms like “not needed” get thrown around a lot when we hear of a belated sequel, or rebooting etc.

But, honestly. This isn’t needed.

They hit an absolute peak with the first one, and steadily nosedived when trying to recreate it. I can’t imagine they’ve anything better to add that they didn’t already try to. I also think they’ll struggle to recreate any “wow” the first one inspired. The sequels didn’t even come close.

I guess if anyone’s gonna profit off keanu’s resurgence, it should be a part of the team that helped lay the foundation. But that’s all this looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The Matrix
    The Matrix Reloaded
    The Matrix Revolutions
    The Matrix Rebooted

I'll go see it, but I don't expect anything near the quality of the original. Also, Trinity? Really? How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Falthyron wrote: »
    The Matrix
    The Matrix Reloaded
    The Matrix Revolutions
    The Matrix Rebooted

I'll go see it, but I don't expect anything near the quality of the original. Also, Trinity? Really? How does that work?

She reloaded her last save point. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I hope the story involves Neo being tracked down in Nebuchadnezzar World and being convinced that THAT world is the real matrix, and he wakes up in ANOTHER world. But here's the twist, Neo is a Woman all along! Danaaaaaan!

I apologise in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm looking forward to it.
    It might turn out good.... it might turn out bad too! let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hobosan wrote: »
    I hope the story involves Neo being tracked down in Nebuchadnezzar World and being convinced that THAT world is the real matrix, and he wakes up in ANOTHER world. But here's the twist, Neo is a Woman all along! Danaaaaaan!

I apologise in advance.

Matrix is actually part of the Ready Player One Universe :eek::eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hobosan wrote: »

I apologise in advance.

There's a common interpretation of the first Matrix movie as being one large metaphor for Coming Out, or Transitioning - a theory that was borne out by both Wachowskis themselves transitioning in real life. It's actually quite blatant and obvious once you take in scenes & dialogue with that point of view. The film is essentially about discovering your true, 'real' self, despite what societal norms try to force on you.

Mind you, that same film also has support and interpretations by gun fetishists, the far right & white supremacist groups, so it's not often those disparate grouping find a common totem. And like a lot of these things it's down to the audience's interpretations (though again, it was born out by the creators' experiences)

Going by the presence of Anne-Moss, there's obviously got to be some kind of twist going on here; can I speak to her character's fate without spoilers? The first film is 20 years old at this stage!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I reserve the right to later dismiss this as one visit too many to the well, but for now I'm interested. It's all about the script. Is it a follow on? Or is it a soft reboot for next generation?

I hope they don't f*ck it up with trying to update the tech.
    Imagine trying to call for an exit with a smartphone...

"Swipe... swipe... damn Face ID doesn't work with my 2021 hipster sunglasses... open the call app... favourites...".

"Mr Anderson...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Probably wont be brilliant like loads of films that try to have an overly complex plot nowadays but will defo have a look and hope to be surprised.
    The fact that it wont be brilliant will probably be that it will be unoriginal...........thats what made the original such a gem.

Immediately I thought of the latest terminator movie with your man Jason Clarke in it, that was a terrible movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

ziedth wrote: »
    The first Matrix is an absolute classic. The last film I think where I went into the cinema without so much as knowing a basic plot.

One of my all-time great cinema experiences. All I'd seen beforehand was that very cool teaser trailer:

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

And I did. And it was awesome.

The sequels were just awful, but I'll still be looking forward to another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Goodshape wrote: »
    The sequels were just awful, but I'll still be looking forward to another one.

I enjoyed the 2nd one up until the highway scene and then the franchise went to shít. The 3rd one is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'll never forget the first one, like most , went into it not knowing anything about it and was blown away by how fresh it was.
    I remember buying the DVD, and showing it to a younger cousin of mine, It was gas to see someone watch it for the first time, I though his eyes were going to pop out of his head during the Morpheus rescue sequence!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I’m excited for it. There’s nothing to touch the first film before or since. Ok the sequels were sketchy but a lot to love in them too. If you squint. Let’s see what they bring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

pixelburp wrote: »
    Going by the presence of Anne-Moss, there's obviously got to be some kind of twist going on here; can I speak to her character's fate without spoilers? The first film is 20 years old at this stage!
    Eugh. She's Carrie-Anne Moss, not Carrie Anne-Moss!
    Twins were good in Reloaded and that was about it. Architect, Merovingian, Keymaker etc all absolutely appalling. Bloated nonsense. Ergo ergo ergo. Suspect a fourth film wouldn't be any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd be curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

The first Matrix movie was the last time that I was genuinely blown away in the cinema. Christ, that was 20 years ago! Movies have really gone ****e since :( I can't think of any recent movie that was even half as thrilling as that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So since we dont know what the movie is about yet... what do people think it will be about?

The third movie eneded with peace and the matrix is all about going into said matrix, dodging agents, doing gravity defining stuff. So do you wash away the third ending and the machines are at it again? or do you introduce a new element. Like a rouge group in the machine-world trying to take things over?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Has anyone seen the animatrix? Keep meaning to pick it up I’m told it’s great

*if they don’t stick in a matrix phoneline download bit in the upcoming bill and teds film they’re doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Has anyone seen the animatrix? Keep meaning to pick it up I’m told it’s great
    Yeah, it's pretty widely loved. It's a series of shorts, all in different animation styles, telling very different stories. Definitely check it out.

Advertisement