Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PMP vs PRINCE2

Options
  • 16-05-2019 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

I have 8+ years experience in IT support, currently working in public sector. I would like to move towards project management.

I would like to know whether I should go for PMP or PRINCE2.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I have zero experience in Prince2, but I have sat (and failed) the PMP.
    Its a hell of an exam. Its very focused on business processes that I wouldn't have come across from my work in IT.
    I totally underestimated how tough it was.
    My current plan is to finish up what I'm currently studying (CISSP) before July and then hammer the PMP for 2 solid months.

I have over 20+ years in IT. It seems that PMP is the one that IT employers tend to like. Construction and the like tend to favour six sigma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Found this online that may be helpful.

https://pm.stackexchange.com/questions/1533/pmp-vs-prince2-why-one-rather-than-the-other

PMP is based upon the PMBOK, which is a Standard, NOT a methodology. It contains a truck load of processes and 'generally accepted' techniques of project management by which to evaluate or complete the way you run your projects or the methodology you use. It is therefore more theoretical, a reference guide.

Prince2 on the other hand is a methodology, with a detailed process model and templates. It gives a step by step guidance on how to organise and run a project. It is more practical than the PMBOK. It still needs to be tailored to your needs but it is more a manual than a reference guide. It focusses on just a limited set of techniques

I am a prince2 project manager, and most of the jobs I have applied for have been mostly looking Prince2 qualifications. There are multple levels of Prince2 so I have done Foundation and Practitioner levels. I trained a week long workshop with SureSkills in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

If in the public sector, I'd do Prince 2.

I have both and did them simply to have them as keywords on my CV.

Prince2 is a methodology i.e. a way to manage a waterfall project through pre-defined steps, PMP is a framework.

Popular in the UK, I did Prince 2 over 2 weekends at a course in London (where I live). Think it evolved in the UK public sector (it's quite regimented) , before becoming more adopted in the private sector. Foundation is easy enough – multiple choice. Practitioner is multiple choice based on a series of case studies. As it has been round for decades it’s waterfall oriented.

Popular in the US, PMP is all multiple choice and, as another poster noted, uses the PMBOK which is essentially a collection of best practices in Project Management. I got Rita Mulcahy’s notes (popular reference material) and studied them with no classes. I also failed this exam first time round. However, I learned whatever the right answer appears to be it may not be the right answer from a PMP perspective. I got over 70 in all sections the second time round.

In short, recruiters will ask for one or other and will refer to both (incorrectly) as methodologies. If you want alternates to Prince 2, see Rapid Application Development or Agile, with the latter a combination of the “best aspects” of the former 2, though not suitable in all environments.

Although I did take things from both Prince 2 and PMP (in particular), if you have experience as a PM, neither will present anything particularly earth shattering.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭TestLink

I wrote P2 foundation and waiting for result.

Should I go for P2 agile Practitioner or P2 Practitioner?

I think the former is used mostly in a s/w development environment. Should the later be of more relevance in more sectors?

TestLink wrote: »
    I wrote P2 foundation and waiting for result.

Should I go for P2 agile Practitioner or P2 Practitioner?

I think the former is used mostly in a s/w development environment. Should the later be of more relevance in more sectors?

Hard to say. What's your role? If software, Agile probably. Am not familiar with the Agile format or content (although I did do APMG BA Agile last year) vs vanilla Prince 2, but if it took me a weekend to do Prince 2 Practitioner it will probably take less for you ;) So, if Prince 2 Foundation is a pre-requisite for both Practitioner level qualifications, could you do both while you're in the zone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭tech

has anyone got any sample Prince exams that I could study
    thanks

tech wrote: »
    has anyone got any sample Prince exams that I could study
    thanks

Try the APMG website. I think they have some samples on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Correct me if I’m wrong (I’ve just started prince2....)
    I see it referred to a as a waterfall methodology but surely that’s just been typical application.....

As in there’s nothing that prevents it working in an iterative style with each stage?

There’s no reason it can’t be used to deliver either waterfall or agile / iterative style essentially?

Nelbert wrote: »
    Correct me if I’m wrong (I’ve just started prince2....)
    I see it referred to a as a waterfall methodology but surely that’s just been typical application.....

As in there’s nothing that prevents it working in an iterative style with each stage?

There’s no reason it can’t be used to deliver either waterfall or agile / iterative style essentially?

Prince is "PRojects IN Controlled Environments" - I wouldn't consider it particularly Agile, but that's not to say some aspects can be more agile than the textbook suggests. In general, I am sure it could be adapted, but we're getting into semantics. A hiring manager is likely to see it as purely waterfall imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

rgmmg wrote: »
    Prince is "PRojects IN Controlled Environments" - I wouldn't consider it particularly Agile, but that's not to say some aspects can be more agile than the textbook suggests. In general, I am sure it could be adapted, but we're getting into semantics. A hiring manager is likely to see it as purely waterfall imo.

But pretty much every work environment is controlled......
    Nothing restricts it other than perception. Each stage has deliverables and work methods.... no reason that can’t align with agile.
    In software terms no reason each stage can’t be an agile sprint.

Take away the noise and perception of both and I think they are quite compatible. Prince for overarching project Managment and stage / sprint planning and agile within the stage / sprint. Prince doesn’t define how the work is done so no reason it can’t be done using an agile methodology.

That’s my understanding anyway. Will have the prince cert next week and then move on to getting agile cert.

• Advertisement

Nelbert wrote: »
    But pretty much every work environment is controlled......
    Nothing restricts it other than perception. Each stage has deliverables and work methods.... no reason that can’t align with agile.
    In software terms no reason each stage can’t be an agile sprint.

Take away the noise and perception of both and I think they are quite compatible. Prince for overarching project Managment and stage / sprint planning and agile within the stage / sprint. Prince doesn’t define how the work is done so no reason it can’t be done using an agile methodology.

That’s my understanding anyway. Will have the prince cert next week and then move on to getting agile cert.

Let me know if you still think the same after the event. Anyway, semantics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I am a PMP and it is a tricky enough exam which requires several hundred hours of project management experience before you can even sit it.

We offer both PRINCE2 and PMP in my company (as well as Agile & Scrum). If you want to go the traditional PM route, then I’d recommend starting with PRINCE2 as I think it teaches the basics really well. In a few years with experience you could look at PMP. I like to think of PRINCE2 as teaching you the building blocks, and PMP as being the “art”.

But if you are in software/IT, then you should also consider Agile. I haven’t taken any training myself in it, but it is definitely becoming more the norm.

Advertisement