Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What are you making just now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

We were babysitting this weekend so of course this happened.....

My niece spent 5 hours making the bricks for it!! :p

505065.jpg

505066.jpg

505067.jpg

505068.jpg

Progress report. First time doing a water effect and it turned out awesome. Coloured the bed blue with dashes of green and white. Used drying tacky glue to create white surf then covered the lot with clear silicone and teased waves with a matchstick!
    Not too happy with the paint job but it's what was requested. Pink is so hard to work with. :p

505299.jpg

505300.jpg

505301.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Spirit of Fire

f0IY8mu.jpg

Spirit of the Sea

qCMVgyH.jpg

Both from scrap beech, very enjoyable to make. Probably sell them on Etsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So many lovely things!

As for me; have run out of things to knit. Sometimes yarn that is handed in is not of any immediate use. Such is a whole large cone of thick grey/beige cotton, so, deep in face cloths, hand towels, floor cloths, dish cloths.. Boring but practical!Tried selling hats to a local shop but with a very hard trade summer ahead with UNOWAT?

Available ; one pair of hands, skilled and versatile!

Finished the last one. Cant give it to my niece yet as the family are in quarantine!
    507044.jpg
    507045.jpg

• Advertisement

Build 6. Need to get the pulley on the drawbridge working smoothly. The whole thing will sit in a moat when its done. I've ladders and a raft made out of twigs which will sit in the water under the hobbit doors.

507047.jpg
    507048.jpg
    507049.jpg
    507050.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Lock down is working out well for you :D

Hope you picked up a good supply of clay before the madness :)

Lock down is working out well for you :D

Hope you picked up a good supply of clay before the madness :)

I sure did! I got a load of Das clay from Mr Price. I got 12.5kg bulk bag of paper clay for €15 from Art and Hobby. It's not the best though. Has a texture like cement and shrinks by about 15% when dry so it cracks all over the place plus watercolours dont really work on it as its mad porous. It'll still have it's uses! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

I sure did! I got a load of Das clay from Mr Price. I got 12.5kg bulk bag of paper clay for €15 from Art and Hobby. It's not the best though. Has a texture like cement and shrinks by about 15% when dry so it cracks all over the place plus watercolours dont really work on it as its mad porous. It'll still have it's uses! :D

Check out https://www.ultimatepapermache.com/paper-mache-clay
    She has the best make it yourself paper clay recipes (you just need loads of toilet roll:eek:) and some amazing projects. I found Art n Hobby paper clay horrible.
    Or maybe homemade cold porcelain clay .
    They work out much cheaper than DAS for larger projects.

Check out https://www.ultimatepapermache.com/paper-mache-clay
    She has the best make it yourself paper clay recipes (you just need loads of toilet roll:eek:) and some amazing projects. I found Art n Hobby paper clay horrible.
    Or maybe homemade cold porcelain clay .
    They work out much cheaper than DAS for larger projects.

Lol on the toilet roll!! :D Thanks for the link. I should have enough Das for another 6/7 builds. Yeah, the A+H Clay is nasty stuff. Fine detail is a big no no with it. I'll probably use it for the bulk of structures where clay is needed and use Das for the finer detail..

• Advertisement

First try at needle felting. Had no pattern, just a notion that I wanted to make a rabbit. He's a wonky wabbit ! Stabbed myself twice and broke 2 needles - only 1 left. But quite pleased with him. It's quite therapeutic stabbing the wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭lulu1

First try at needle felting. Had no pattern, just a notion that I wanted to make a rabbit. He's a wonky wabbit ! Stabbed myself twice and broke 2 needles - only 1 left. But quite pleased with him. It's quite therapeutic stabbing the wool.

Brilliant for first go

DD asked for a teddy for Easter, so I upcycled some fabric and bits - found nothing suitable for eyes yet. The wonkiest bear around.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I'm working on a crochet blanket (Hydra blanket) from The Guy with The Hook) using Scheepjes stonewashed colourpack. It's coming along slowly.

I'm trying to learn how to knit but in typical style I've been a bit ambitious in my starting project. I missed a yarn over about 8 stitches back (doing a yo knit 2 together) and have to figure out how to rip it back and pick up the stitches.

Build 6 finished at last. Got the damn drawbridge working eventually.

Not sure if this clip will work https://www.facebook.com/groups/CreativeMomClub/permalink/924106938045909/

508100.jpg
    508101.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Griselda

A papier mache plant.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Inspiration for your next project, Mike Litoris.

pXsHjqZ.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZeKcFjl

Thats super neat and tidy. More stuff to aspire to. Check out the stuff being made in this fb group. The talent is mind blowing! https://www.facebook.com/groups/weatheredmodels/?fref=nf

I've started messing about with the below. Need to get the D+D stuff out of my system next! It'll be something dark!

508310.jpg

508311.jpg

Ok this build is an extension of a previous build (One niece was jealous of the others being much bigger :p ) but it's a dry run for something more me! :) I'm going to paint it to look as realistic as possible before making it shades of pink/blue/purple for my niece. When I merge the 2 I'll stick in another drawbridge and pulley. It's fun creating moving parts! :)

The first coat/dark wash looks cool already. Made a couple of skulls. Tried to create a brass look with one of them. Dont quite have the right paints but it looks promising.

509033.jpg
    509034.jpg
    509035.jpg
    509036.jpg
    509037.jpg

This is the first time I've used all acrylic paints and I think I've got the hang of it. I wanted the look and colour of the Dragons Lair castle and am happy enough so far. I was struggling big time with the blue colour and used almost all the blue I had. I then found a dirt cheap bottle of blue glittery poster paint in Mr Price which has worked a charm.

509425.jpg
    509426.jpg
    509427.jpg

• Advertisement

Tadaaah!!
    Man, I need to take a break now.

Here's a breakdown of all the bits and bobs. In addition to the above, I added a skull cave, mini scary tree with a tea light for illuminating the eyes, working drawbridge, hinged roof on the round tower for a tea light illuminating the top window, €1.50 doggies/sea creatures and fairies courtesy of Mr Price, a varnished wooden outhouse with a fabric curtain made out of a dryer sheet for the battery packs, two sets of €2 multicoloured 100 wire lights from Eurogiant.. Most of the stuff here came from Mr Price!!...paint, Clay, match and lollipop sticks and all the little figures. Shrubbery is from Marks Models Dublin. Bases and any cardboard used are from Lidl fruit boxes and most of the towers and structures are jars, bottles and paper towel inserts covered in clay or individually made clay bricks. Water/wave effect is from clear silicone squirted and teased over a coloured base. Some of the little creatures are made from silicone or hot glue that fell from the nozzle!! The pulley is 3 circular bits of cardboard with a wooden skewer running through it, twine taped to the skewer, a matchstick for a handle and mounted on twigs glued to the building.
    Vid here - https://www.facebook.com/balb.kubrox.9/videos/4823234894383460/

510729.jpg
    510731.jpg
    510720.jpg
    510726.jpg
    510730.jpg

You've a gorgeous kitchen :)

Fair play to you. That's an impressive build!

What's the next project? :D

You've a gorgeous kitchen :)

Fair play to you. That's an impressive build!

What's the next project? :D

Hey thanks! Just got an extension built before xmas. Mulled over the design of the kitchen for months too!! :p Probably wouldn't be doing any of this without the extra space as the house is pretty small.

I'm not sure whats next but I'm taking a break. I'm all burned out! :p That said, dont be surprised if theres another "build X" started next week!

If I was you I would be looking towards the chrisrmas market

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I had my first attempt at quilting last week. Pleased with how it turned out in general but there’s definitely things I’ll do differently. Fabric choice of the centre cross being the main issue. I should have chosen a plainer fabric rather than that one with the triangles. The way it intersects means that the pattern doesn’t match up properly which will annoy me to look at long term.

It was enjoyable to do though! A nice project for a rainy day. I’d love to try a larger quilt but i don’t think the throat on my sewing machine is large enough to quilt it fully.

attachment.php?attachmentid=514110&stc=1&d=1590316384

I had my first attempt at quilting last week. Pleased with how it turned out in general but there’s definitely things I’ll do differently. Fabric choice of the centre cross being the main issue. I should have chosen a plainer fabric rather than that one with the triangles. The way it intersects means that the pattern doesn’t match up properly which will annoy me to look at long term.

It was enjoyable to do though! A nice project for a rainy day. I’d love to try a larger quilt but i don’t think the throat on my sewing machine is large enough to quilt it fully.

attachment.php?attachmentid=514110&stc=1&d=1590316384

That's really pretty :)

That's really pretty :)

I followed this tutorial. It was really thorough and clear, perfect for a first-timer like me!

https://youtu.be/WH1msuBeIB8

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Looking for inspiration for new project! have done load of face masks til ran out of elastic/thread, made two knee rugs with knitted squares backed with velour rug from Pennys, mastered crochet at last with help of Youtube (baby blanket). I must look at patchwork, never done it but have sewing machine. It would be a nice way to keep a memento of favourite fabrics but do not think would have enough variety to make decent design.

You have a lovely set of complimentary colours in your design Michelle, well done!

Garlinge wrote: »
    Looking for inspiration for new project! have done load of face masks til ran out of elastic/thread, made two knee rugs with knitted squares backed with velour rug from Pennys, mastered crochet at last with help of Youtube (baby blanket). I must look at patchwork, never done it but have sewing machine. It would be a nice way to keep a memento of favourite fabrics but do not think would have enough variety to make decent design.

You have a lovely set of complimentary colours in your design Michelle, well done!

There is a pattern called the disapearing 9 patch. You just need 9 different colored squares check it out on you tube.
    I have done it but dont know how to post

• Advertisement

Garlinge wrote: »

Thanks :) I bought the fabric from lovefabric.ie. They have a great selection, quick delivery and you can buy most fabrics by the fat quarter if you like. You wouldn’t need an awful lot of patterned fabric if you’d prefer to use up what you already have! You could mix in some plain white blocks. Take a look at half-square-triangle quilts on YouTube (this is my next project!). You make blocks out of half one colour and half another and then can rearrange them to create lots of different patterns. I use the patternjam.com to upload a photo of my fabrics, create the patterns I like the look of, choose a quilt size and then download the ‘pattern’ where it tells you how many of each fabric to cut, what size etc. The sewing part of quilt making is very simple. In general it’s just a straight stitch with a 1/4in seam allowance. Careful pattern cutting and making sure to iron out the seams is really where you can make the finish product look really well.

Advertisement