Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What are you making just now?

• 15-04-2019 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

I am knitting long, baggy cabled legwarmers, a request from my canadian family who sell there. Black today but also purple or cream. No pattem, just freelance

Would love to hear what others are creating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

More legwarmers.. simplest things... Aran weight yarn, 6 mm needles. 50 stitches and work about 20 inches in whatever stitches or patterns take your fancy... ...varying and changing when you feel inspired..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

5 Christmas jumpers for a TV show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Day of the week baby socks with a colour pop heel. Niece expecting in August and they live in a part of the states that often has white winters. Knitting a hat & mittens as well just haven’t decided what pattern to use for the wee hat.

Using hand dyed sock yarn, Merino with nylon, 2/2.5 mm dpns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Think I shall start practicing my calligraphy again. Maybe just Christmas card envelopes to start.

It's been more than a few years - need to get back what limited skills I lost, and eventually refine them to wedding invitation quality (if at all possible).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Deja Boo

Can u recommend a YouTube video or book for beginners?

• Advertisement

Hi stop animal cruelty,

I am not a fine calligrapher of Copperplate writing, but as for learning basics of handlettering, I like font-rich books like Super Simple Handlettering by Kylie Bennett - a youtube review of her book is here. Books like that offer alot of creativity and modern calligraphy styles (less rigid I would add). For a calligraphy tutorial, I like the vid series from the Happy Ever Crafter, here.

There are some good (and reasonably priced) basic pen set on the market, but the ink cartridges in sets goes remarkably fast, so I practice with a Speedball Elegant writer in 2 to 2.5 sizes (2.5 might be a bit too large a nib for your liking, but the size helps you see great results of your strokes, and I find it easier to practice large letters with larger nibs to begin.) ...then once you begin to enjoy your lettering style (I am critical of my own), when you graduate to a proper calligraphy set, you will see a much finer result with the metal nib pens. You can, of course start with a proper pen with refillable ink, but I found it rather messy as a beginner.

Cheers, hope that helps! :)

Thanks a mil!

Alternating the legwarmers with "sleevies"

A longer version of the fingerless gloves that are so popular and useful. If you can keep the back of your hand warm ,where the blood flows you are fine.

The "sleevies" reach to the elbow. for folk with cold arms.. I got the figures from ravelry patterns then added cables / a sleeve in reverse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭lulu1

Starting early for the craft fairs so christmas stockings

The cold spell saw me seeking socks in vain; they all went awol and this is, in my new totally house and island bound status, one thing I cannot yet find mail order online.

Worry not, icy feet! Needles and yarn and a ravelry pattern for 2 needle slipper socks.. I adapted it to the right size and now have two warm pairs of adult booties.
    ravelry is a great resource for free patterns.

https://www.ravelry.com/

• Advertisement

lulu1 wrote: »
    Starting early for the craft fairs so christmas stockings

That takes me back a few years to my long service in craft fairs and street markets. enjoy!

Graces7 wrote: »
    That takes me back a few years to my long service in craft fairs and street markets. enjoy!

every time i do one I swear it will be my last

every time i do one I swear it will be my last

roflol! I know the feeling!

My very last one was wonderful though. The Dingle Skellig hotel and they were so kind. Even fed me.. I sold a lot of stuff reduced to try to get stocks down which made me very popular ... I had been doing 2 a week for many years. Just too old to work a 12 hour day.

Feel aimless now and working knitted cotton hand towels ...

My total addiction to knitting has taken over again ;)

Cannot not knit, and especially with the cold and windy weather preventing even gardening... So I sorted out bags of oddments of the vintage mohair we were given years ago when someone who came to the stall ( Killarney Outlet Centre) offered the entire contents of her mother's closed down craft shop .

Bags and bags there were and I still have a few dozen balls of assorted mohair. Some wonderful colours and mixes.

So 77 stitches, 7 mm needles, yarn used double,, wide bands with lace insert stitching... Almost 28 inches wide and so far over 30 inches long.. Lovely and warm .... great watching youtube and fingers flying on easy work as the wind howls.

Now at 35 inches.... looking very good my blanket ;) Keeps me snug as I work on it

Graces7 wrote: »
    My total addiction to knitting has taken over again ;)

Cannot not knit, and especially with the cold and windy weather preventing even gardening... So I sorted out bags of oddments of the vintage mohair we were given years ago when someone who came to the stall ( Killarney Outlet Centre) offered the entire contents of her mother's closed down craft shop .

Bags and bags there were and I still have a few dozen balls of assorted mohair. Some wonderful colours and mixes.

So 77 stitches, 7 mm needles, yarn used double,, wide bands with lace insert stitching... Almost 28 inches wide and so far over 30 inches long.. Lovely and warm .... great watching youtube and fingers flying on easy work as the wind howls.
    I wish I could knit Maybe if i kept at it i would get the hang of it

I wish I could knit Maybe if i kept at it i would get the hang of it

Of course you would. Try? great occupation.. . Try something very simple?

"the creation " smoothed out sideways to 34 inches and is now 46 inches long and very heavy!

The best proportions for rugs etc seems to be 1x 1 1/2 half so if my arithmetic is right that will take it to.... ) wheels whirring in head) to 51 inches?

One more wide stripe after this one then I will lay it out and see... abundant yarn left..

Oh and I now have a rather fine camera so ..

Maybe when I have this fine new rug in place the weather will get warm! Worth a try ;)

Graces7 could you post a pic of your blanket? I'd love to see it :)

Graces7 could you post a pic of your blanket? I'd love to see it :)

as they say, watch this space! I am still getting used to having a camera again after some years without... and thank you!

• Advertisement

Been trying to get a decent photo but the size .... all the stripes are the same width..

will try for a better one later..
    It was not intended it be so big...

It's quite beautiful Graces, what talent you have! Looks ever so warm, lovely!

Beautiful piece!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Looks very cosy Grace! Lovely colours too.

Looks class Grace

I have just stared to make buntings for a friends birthday party

Thanks everyone. I am perforce off my feet so much and cannot bear being idle. When I was trading I had plenty to do and am often at a loose end.

That is not the first blanket made either! I have several more!

PS am available for work ! Knitting I mean!

Back to sleevies.. aran with cables... aiming to have a good number along with the baggy cabled legwarmers to send to Canada in the autumn.... May also do some more oddment big granny squares for the cats..

There is something totally.... cannot find the word... perfect.. about sitting outside in warm sun with a sweet breeze on your skin, knitting gently amid wildflowers with the cats gathering round and birds singing.. Just.... magical... ah bliss!

Too warm to do any sewing today

Too warm to do anything

Felt I needed to sew but tomorrow is another day.

Grace do you ever knit for the hospital maternity units

• Advertisement

Too warm to do any sewing today

Too warm to do anything

Felt I needed to sew but tomorrow is another day.

Grace do you ever knit for the hospital maternity units

Ah no. My extended faith-family work in India and Nepal with babies they rescue from dustbins, rubbish heaps, ditches, drains. So many newborn girls dumped. All I knit is sold and every cent goes there. They tell me what the latest fashion is in handknits and I add cables as "knitted on an Irish island" is a selling line in Canada . Just now sleevies with matching very wide headbands.

Advertisement