Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weston Airport

• 17-05-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8 flyingpopeye

Any update in relation to the sale of the airport?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Don't know of any updates, but I was using it yesterday and it's sad to see its decline in the past 6 months, with so many aircraft removed. Still, nice to walk around Padraig Harrington's GIII!

205455.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

"Weston in decline"...that must be music to the ears of all the objectors, nay sayers and begrudgers...oh and the wannabe TDs who make crass headlines in the local rags..."We will strenuously object to the sale of Weston..." etc etc etc....

Watch this space, as they say...:D

QDM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

The radio was reporting it was sold to an ' English Investor '

lets hope whoever it is builds it up to be the GA centre it should be .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

heard it was too. the buyer was making queries about the extended part of the runway (that has no planning permission?). they have big plans i believe. think they may be surprised at the "help" that the local councils will give them.

When did the radio or papers ever get these things right?

The sale has not gone through yet, but the next couple of weeks should be interesting.:D

The "extended" part of the runway, as emo72 calls it, is a legal clearway/stopway, and has planning permission. There are no illegal developments at Weston, the IAA and Kildare CC, SDCC, and Bord Pleanala have have all seen to that!
    Please stop the ignorant remarking and speculation, unless you are one of the serial objectors to all things Weston, who gleefully rub their hands at every negative they hear or read, even when it's not the truth.

QDM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Kenny2012

A few from Weston this afternoon

G-EEJE PA-31 Geeje Ltd
    G-MEGN Beech 200 Dragonfly Aviation Services
    G-OUGH Yak 52 Ian Gough
    N239MY OH-6A Southern Aircraft Consultancy Inc
    PH-BIT C172 Newflying PH-BIT Ltd

Pictures
    G-EEJE http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7276128592
    G-MEGN http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7276213048
    G-OUGH http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7276195608
    N239MY http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7276105832
    PH-BIT http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7276169132

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

"Weston in decline"...that must be music to the ears of all the objectors, nay sayers and begrudgers...oh and the wannabe TDs who make crass headlines in the local rags..."We will strenuously object to the sale of Weston..." etc etc etc....

Watch this space, as they say...:D

QDM

Well it is good news and rightly so. We all know the history of this airfield in recent times and quite frankly it's disgraceful. Send it back to its roots or close it. I'd say no loss if it's closed other than many light aircraft users would be disadvantaged. I've used it myself in the past.

A few visitors from Wales probably for the rugby final.

D-EGHL C182 AeroVisions
    G-FANL C172 Jonathan Rees
    G-OUGH Yak 52 Ian Gough
    N583CD SR-22 Internatioal Air Services Inc
    SP-DLP DA-42 Direct Fly

pictures

D-EGHL http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7280398406
    G-FANL http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7280501678
    N239MY http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7280336350
    N583CD http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7280467948
    SP-DLP http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7280539580

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

BrianD wrote: »
    We all know the history of this airfield in recent times and quite frankly it's disgraceful

What recent history exactly would you be referring to :confused::confused::confused:

G-CEDG R-44 PJ Barnes
    M-CICO FA50EX City Air Services
    N458LM EMB500 Advocate Holdings / Capital Holdings 164

pictures
    G-CEDG http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7289283232
    M-CICO http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7289227132
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7289227692
    N458LM http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7289130612

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

bombs away wrote: »
    What recent history exactly would you be referring to :confused::confused::confused:

Read this and you'll get the general drift.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Any update in relation to the sale of the airport?

Still there this morning!!!:
    7289754056_ba3b14398a.jpg
    Weston Airfield by tearbringer, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I'm puzzled BriandD, you say the closure would be 'no loss'. Yet the letter you posted pretty much demolishes most of the objections to the development of Weston.

What is disgraceful is that the small minded people locally and the both councils have acted in a manner designed as much as possible to obstruct the use of Weston as an airport.

If Weston was to close it would in fact be huge loss because it is in fact to only practical and affordable airport for general aviation near Dublin, in fact in Dublin. In many countries it would be seen as a vital asset, not just countries, counties. Look at the reaction to risk of closure to Galway airport?

It won't be closing though but it remains to be seen how the local authorities will deal with the new owners.

As for the objectors, to hell with them particularly the clowns in Kew Park and Weston lodge who bought houses directly under the flightpath of an airfield then woke up to the fact that aeroplanes fly over them.

I've no time for the nimbys, not least because I have had personal and unpleasant experience of airfield objectors. The truth doesn't interest them and they more closely resemble the appearance of a lynch mob than people with justified fears.

xflyer wrote: »

As for the objectors, to hell with them particularly the clowns in Kew Park and Weston lodge who bought houses directly under the flightpath of an airfield then woke up to the fact that aeroplanes fly over them.

not quite accurate. "the clowns" in kew and weston bought their houses in the sixties and late eighties/early nineties and had no problems with the local airfield. weston was a welcome local amenity. no problems whatsoever.

when mansfield took over and ramped up development and encouraged bigger and noisier planes thats when things got fractious.

it would be nice to keep the debate civil as i am with everyone here. and if you are interested i will give you the view from my side of the fence.

best of luck,

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Suits

emo72 wrote: »
    not quite accurate. "the clowns" in kew and weston bought their houses in the sixties and late eighties/early nineties and had no problems with the local airfield. weston was a welcome local amenity. no problems whatsoever.

when mansfield took over and ramped up development and encouraged bigger and noisier planes thats when things got fractious.

it would be nice to keep the debate civil as i am with everyone here. and if you are interested i will give you the view from my side of the fence.

best of luck,

There isnt really a steady flow of jet traffic into weston though.

If you buy a house beside an airfield you know what you are getting into, there is always the chance that you will have noisey planes overhead. Weston's noise abatement policy is a bit of a joke for pilots at present, we bend over backward and fly right to go left and vice versa. Residents just like to whinge I think.

emo72 wrote: »

best of luck,
    With due respect that is nonsense. Weston was an very active airfield when those houses were bought particularly Weston Lodge. No one but no one could have any illusions about what they were letting themselves in for. Not only that it's complete exaggeration to say Mansfield ramped up development with bigger and noisier aeroplanes. The jets that fly in and out are easily outnumbered by a factor of ten or more by the smaller lighter aircraft that always frequented the field. There was an increase of use over the years simply as an natural progression of the increased affordability and popularity of flying

I have to say I'm not interested in the view from your side of the fence. As someone who flew out of there regularly over the years. We've had your view beaten into us to the point where we often had to fly ludicrous and possibly unsafe noise abatement departures and arrivals. The airport and the operators bent over backwards to accomodate the locals. But it was never enough, far from seeing it at a welcome local amenity there was a sustained concerted and personalised campaign to close it down permanently. This is a common factor in all anti airfield campaigns. Unreasonable fears are drummed up and downright lies are told. The truth is invariably ignored.

The debate was and is far from civil, your attitude notwithstanding.

More like a lynch mob as I said earlier.

Suits wrote: »
    There isnt really a steady flow of jet traffic into weston though.

If you buy a house beside an airfield you know what you are getting into, there is always the chance that you will have noisey planes overhead. Weston's noise abatement policy is a bit of a joke for pilots at present, we bend over backward and fly right to go left and vice versa. Residents just like to whinge I think.

agreed there is not a steady flow into weston anymore. its definitely quieter now than it was a couple of years ago. as an enthusiast i find the current level enjoyable.

im pretty sure im not whinging though.

xflyer wrote: »
    With due respect that is nonsense. Weston was an very active airfield when those houses were bought particularly Weston Lodge. No one but no one could have any illusions about what they were letting themselves in for. Not only that it's complete exaggeration to say Mansfield ramped up development with bigger and noisier aeroplanes. The jets that fly in and out are easily outnumbered by a factor of ten or more by the smaller lighter aircraft that always frequented the field. There was an increase of use over the years simply as an natural progression of the increased affordability and popularity of flying

I have to say I'm not interested in the view from your side of the fence. As someone who flew out of there regularly over the years. We've had your view beaten into us to the point where we often had to fly ludicrous and possibly unsafe noise abatement departures and arrivals. The airport and the operators bent over backwards to accomodate the locals. But it was never enough, far from seeing it at a welcome local amenity there was a sustained concerted and personalised campaign to close it down permanently. This is a common factor in all anti airfield campaigns. Unreasonable fears are drummed up and downright lies are told. The truth is invariably ignored.

The debate was and is far from civil, your attitude notwithstanding.

More like a lynch mob as I said earlier.

yes, absolutely i agree, weston was very active back in the eighties. but it was the smaller planes which we hardly hear when they fly over us. when i bought my house i never even noticed them.

surely we agree that when mansfield took over there was a big increase in bigger jet engined planes flying in and out?

i cant answer for what went on in the past about lynch mobs, i was never aware of that. if you lived here when the dc10? (cant be sure, big silver ww2 plane) was flying over my house every five minutes non stop, on summer evenings, well, you might understand why some locals got fed up. try put yourself in my position, living here became unbearable.

i think when you are talking to a stranger on the internet its easier to be hostile, its something that saddens me about boards. if we were having this chat in real life im sure it would be a lot more pleasant. anyway im just trying to explain my view and how it was formed.

as it stands, i have no issue with the planes flying over my house. its been great since mansfields gone. normal service has been resumed. so i hope the airport and residents move forward on good terms.i take offence to being called a clown. i cant be fairer than that.

You know there is a great story.

A bunch of American tourists going around Windsor Castle were over awed by the size of the place.
    Anyone who knows Windsor will know it's right under the flight path for LHR , that day Heathrow was taking off over Windsor and it was very noisy.

The guide was concluding her tour , and asked the tourists do you have any questions, she had to repeat that question twice because right at that moment Concorde was taking off.

One American lady of about 55 yrs , piped up and ask ' Yes Maam , why did they build the castle so near the airport , I would have chosen somewhere more quiet'

Emo72, Of course you don't seem to know much about aviation, a DC10 is a large widebodied airliner , that you would maybe see in Dublin . The largest WW2 aircraft I have seen in Weston in the last 8 years ( since I lived in Celbridge ) is the C47/DC3 and I don't think that did a lot of circuits , maybe as they were prepping it for it's departure last year ? Would you rather they flew off without testing the aircraft and crashed in the Irish sea ?

I was disturbed once at 8am on a Sunday by a departing Citation which did cause me to swear.

Tell me this , would you rather that Weston was sold off to a developer back in the 90's and you now had a new town of badly build boxes/ghost estates on your doorstep ? Because believe me that's what would have happened , you would have ended up with Adamstown 2 .

The development of Weston as a GA centre ( Emo72 that's General Aviation which means non commercial ) ie flight training , maybe business twins and some Exec jets would be great.

I don't think you will ever see Weston become a hub for Ryanair or anything silly like that , ( I am only a lapsed PPL ) but IMO the flight patterns into/out of the airfield and the proximity of DUB would not allow that along with many other restrictions , I am open to correction by more experienced flyers than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

BrianD wrote: »
    Read this and you'll get the general drift.

Having read the letter it seems the issues are with local residents as the airport has complied with all legal planning issues.

As previous posters have said, if you bought property next to an airport no matter how busy it was in the past or now I do not feel any sympathy for you.

You knew exactly what you were getting into and were prepared to pay below cost for a property knowing it was right on the doorstep of an airport with every chance that the number of aircraft operating out of it was going to increase as the years went on. To not realise this would have been extremely naive on your part.

• Advertisement

Actually Emo72 , was it the Beech 18 doing Circuits ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48073612@N04/4725809696/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Absolutely NO sympathy for someone who knowingly buys a house beside an Airport and then complains about noise. In fact the noise from the N/M4 is louder and generally lasts 24hrs a day. I find that more annoying than aircraft landing or taking off. I'm surprised they didn't complain about the widening of the N4 to 4 lanes each direction as it doubled the amount of noise possible at any one time but there again that was something that was benefiting them by reducing traffic delays so it was something they were and are willing to put up with.

I have no sympathy with anyone who buys a house beside a railway line, main road or airport and then expects to be able to complain about the noise from it, you bought it you weren't forced to so put up with it.

To those who will moan on here are you living with your parents if so complain to them they bought it and unless they bought it prior to 1939 well then tough.

Well if it wasn't enough that some councilor was making headlines in the Liffey Champion a few weeks ago, now we have an elected TD, Catherine Murphy, jumping on the bandwagon, on the radio this morning!!

Of course he and she are being fed by vested interests (users of Weston know who I mean) trying to frustrate the sale of Weston. Her downright inaccuracies and lies defy belief. But it sounds good, and she is "on the case" so to speak.

Well done Ms Murphy, taxpayer money being wasted again...

QDM

Well Emo72, my hostility is not just an internet affectation. It's born out of bitter personal experience of anti airfield protestors. Not at Weston admittedly but there are strong similarities there. False and frivolous accusations against pilots and others. Vandalism, intimidation, threats and lies. Local politicians jumping on the bandwagon even a minister abusing his powers. I have personally come face to face with sneering abusive antis. They have no interest in the truth or reality.

If I told the truth here on this forum, Boards could itself facing a legal challenge. It's really that nasty.

In all that there was a concerted effort by everyone on the airfield side to take into account the locals 'genuine' issues and to tell the truth. But it's always pointless.

So forgive me if I don't see your point of view.

QDM what was Murphy saying on the radio?

Forgot to mention...it's heartening to see so many posts FAVOURABLE to Weston here. So many jobs rely on Weston, and it's truly an alternative to Dublin Airport for GA in the East.

The DAA have priced the airport beyond the pocket of ordinary, and some executive flyers, hence the almost total absence of light aircraft there.

If you need proof...a visitor last weekend, SR22 from the UK, was quoted €600 for landing fees and overnight parking at Dublin (...jeez!) He was told (while still in the UK) about Weston, and came and turned around for a lot less than that, departing Weston a very happy customer, delighted with the value and customer care.

The objectors to "all things Weston" should be careful what they wish for....

QDM

XFlyer,

She was ranting about so called "illegal" use of the 25 stopway. Claiming it's being used for take offs, and that it was prohibited by planning for use even for taxying...where does she get this crap? Oh wait...yes I know who from...

All lies of course, but the truth should not get in the way of a good story...or a wannabe elected again politico...

QDM

I'm guessing 'you know who' is one of the chief instigators of this? There's always one. No lie is too big for them and they have all the local politicians on speed dial and probably the IAA.

XFlyer,

You are "spot on" there my friend....

QDM

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Suits

XFlyer,

She was ranting about so called "illegal" use of the 25 stopway. Claiming it's being used for take offs, and that it was prohibited by planning for use even for taxying...where does she get this crap? Oh wait...yes I know who from...

All lies of course, but the truth should not get in the way of a good story...or a wannabe elected again politico...

QDM

What station was she on? Someone should have rung in and put her straight.

I got blanked in Leixlip Village by a shop owner when I was buying some food one day because I had my NFC jacket on....I said "Hi" to draw his attention to me and he said cuttingly "oh I hear you dont worry, I cant help but hear you lot" so I put down the items and walked out.....was a bit petty and I was hungry too....:(

They dont have planning permission to extend the runway to create a balanced field do they? I thought I heard that before but was unsure and would assume that would be the cause of much local saber rattling.

To the locals all I could say is that Weston has a stupid nose abatement policy in order to keep you all happy, the airport authorities bend over backward to meet you demands and you just create more of them. Weston isnt going anywhere and those who think they can force it to close are sadly mistaken!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

XFlyer,

QDM

What a nonsense, illegal use of 25 stopway:( I dont think I've ever seen anyone using that part of runway, unless Heavy jets are secretly landing that nobody knows about it.
    Thick people like her are destroying the country ffs

Advertisement