Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Have you tried looking through ravelry.com?

They have a pattern finder that I think is just excellent. Here is the results I got from dress, v-neck, adult, knitting:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=knitting&view=captioned_thumbs&fit=adult&pa=v-neck&sort=recently-popular&pc=dress

One from the list that is free and lovely:
    176073.jpg

Remember the finer the knit, the thinner the yarn and the longer it takes to complete. The white one you have pictured is likely to be 2 or 3 ply and would be very tough going to hand knit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Have you tried looking through ravelry.com?

They have a pattern finder that I think is just excellent. Here is the results I got from dress, v-neck, adult, knitting:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=knitting&view=captioned_thumbs&fit=adult&pa=v-neck&sort=recently-popular&pc=dress

Remember the finer the knit, the thinner the yarn and the longer it takes to complete. The white one you have pictured is likely to be 2 or 3 ply and would be very tough going to hand knit.

Wow, that site is wonderful! I'm spoilt for choice!
    I love loads of them!
    1-2_small_best_fit.jpgkiloran_z_500_small_best_fit.jpggreat-gatsby-dress-4_small_best_fit.jpg

One last question though, is it easy to switch bits of one pattern with another? Eg, could I knit the bodice of one and bind it to the skirt of another, or is that asking for trouble?

Kash wrote: »
    One last question though, is it easy to switch bits of one pattern with another? Eg, could I knit the bodice of one and bind it to the skirt of another, or is that asking for trouble?

It depends entirely on the two patterns you want to merge but it can be done. I've never done it myself mind you!

Lidl are going to have yarn in next Thursday for anyone who is interested. Some decent blends and colours by the looks of things. For example:
    IE_67256wk40_01_b.jpg
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_13957.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

managerman wrote: »
    my granny is an avid knitter and she is getting on in years, so im looking for a decent wool shop in north dublin, as we normally would have to go to monaghan for the wool

thanks
    any help appreciated

Hi

I was wondering where in Monaghan you get your wool. I live there and I'm thinking about starting knitting again and I'd love to know where you get yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Hi All,

I ordered this last Tuesday, it arrived first thing this morning. It was just what I was looking for, thanks for your advice, I can't wait to get started now.

http://www.thewoolshop.ie/magento/index.php/aran/aran-knitting-cotton-tivoli-cruise-light-denim-579.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Hey all, I'm new here *bashful wave*

I've been knitting a few weeks, and have gotten the hang of the basic stitches: garter, stockinette, rib and moss. I can also do some stripes and alternate colours in the same row (which took me aaaaaages to puzzle out! :pac:). Anyway, I want to try knitting this, but with acrylic wool instead of merino. I want it to be snuggly though, so I want to double-knit it. Any advice on how I can double-knit in rib stitch?

Obligatory picture:

scarf_1263916437_466x350.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

A techie question for those of you who know wools...I'm more a crocheter but I think the same rules apply.. I made this (the below image is not mine but from the pattern website, but I used the exact sam colour)
    3836247165_b5aaf5c71e.jpg

I bought Aran wool and used two strands together to make it chunky; the lady in the knitting shop said that I would not get the same effect had I used Double knit Acrylic..is this true? I've not got any to try it myself. Just curious...

It's a dead easy pattern btw to anyone new to crochet. And mega cosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Its true that the effect wouldnt be the same, the drape would be different, as Aran is thicker than DK yarn, but it wouldnt be such a massive difference.

Once you use 2 strands of anything for a project it totally changes the outcome anyway as it will be stiffer.

@fluorescence, you could knit the scarf in the round on circular needles or you could use 2 strands at one time. Circular needles will take a while to knit up, using 2 strands should be much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks, I didn't want to go and buy acrylic wool just for the sake of a test run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gbarry

Please HELP ,

I am knitting a Cardi & I am stuck... first time!!! ok it says...

patt 50, cast off 4 sts, patt 100, cast off 4 sts, patt to end. (I understand that)
    cont on last 50 sts for right front. dec one st raglan edge in next row, then in every foll alt row until 28 sts rem. (dont understand any of that)

please someone help!!! this is my first big project, please HELP... cant give up now!!

• Advertisement

gbarry wrote: »
    Please HELP ,

I am knitting a Cardi & I am stuck... first time!!! ok it says...

patt 50, cast off 4 sts, patt 100, cast off 4 sts, patt to end. (I understand that)
    cont on last 50 sts for right front. dec one st raglan edge in next row, then in every foll alt row until 28 sts rem. (dont understand any of that)

please someone help!!! this is my first big project, please HELP... cant give up now!!

OK. I might be getting a bit simplistic but forgive me :)

This is a raglan sleeve cardi, so you've effectively just split your piece in 3 parts; the fronts (50 sts a piece) and the back (100 sts).

So now you're starting with the 50 sts on the right front. The raglan edge is the one the sleeve will attach to (the other is the neck edge). You need to decrease on this row at the sleeve edge (usually by knitting 2 together on the last 2 sts). Next row is in your normal pattern and the one after is a decrease row again.

Alt row means alternate so, every second one.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mrsmiawallace6

hey guys

i need a 2nd opp on what i should do next, my patt states:

increase 1 st at each end of 5th and every following 4th row until there are 51 st.

ok i am not sure if going forward i only increase on the 4th rows in the lace pattern or on the 5th also. eeek please help.

The fifth next and every 4th one after that.

It might be helpful to work out how many rows in total it will take to get to 51sts before starting. I usually find it helps anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mrsmiawallace6

so i only work the 5th that one time? will try count too thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

www.allaboutyou.com/craft/pattern-finder/knitting-patterns/designer-knitting-patterns/knit-a-babies-hat-free-pattern-48542

Could someone please tell me how to alter this pattern to fit an 18-24 month old? :O)

so i only work the 5th that one time? will try count too thanks

zactly!

LaLucy wrote: »
    www.allaboutyou.com/craft/pattern-finder/knitting-patterns/designer-knitting-patterns/knit-a-babies-hat-free-pattern-48542

Could someone please tell me how to alter this pattern to fit an 18-24 month old? :O)

The number to cast on is going up in multiples of 15. I'd cast on an extra 30 and follow the pattern. When you get a little way up the hat try it on for size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I'm knitting a stripey scarf, but should I cut the wool each time I change stripes (that will be quite a lot of times)? If not is there a way of tucking it in while still keeping the same blocks of colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

hi janehudson,
    cutting the yarn is going to leave you with lots of ends to darn in and also waste more yarn than necessary.
    You can run the yarn you are not using up along the the side of the strip you are knitting, just twist the yarn in along as you knit up, ie as long as the stripes aren't too wide,
    got this excerpt from http://knitting.about.com/od/knittingskills/qt/stripes-carry-yarn.htm

One of the most troublesome parts of knitting a project with a lot of stripes is having to weave in the ends of each stripe when you're done.
    But if your stripes are relatively narrow -- less than a couple of inches or so -- you can save yourself some of the weaving by carrying the unused yarn up the side of the work as you knit with the other color.
    This requires you to have a project where you're always changing colors on the same side so that you don't have to move the yarn (and thus cut it) during the project. It's also best used when you're going to be seaming a project or if a project is knit in the round, so the carry won't be seen, but you can certainly use it on projects where it will be visible as well.

All you have to do to carry the non-working yarn up the side of the knitting is to twist the two yarns together each time you get back to where the non-working yarn is (usually the beginning of a right-side row).
    When you need to start working with the previous color again, simply drop the yarn you'd been working with and pick up the strand you've been carrying up the side. Make sure you don't pull the yarn too tightly or leave it too loose as you weave up the side; you're trying to make it as unobtrusive as possible.
    If you're able to carry your non-working yarns up the side of the project the whole way, you'll have a lot fewer ends to weave in than you would have if you'd cut the yarn each time you changed colors. It saves a bit of yarn, too, because you don't need all those 6-inch tails.

hope that helps,

regards,
    liz:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

That's exactly what I needed to know thanks. Bought my wool yesterday. Yay!

• Advertisement

Hello lovely knitters, I hope you can help - I am starting a more advanced project than I am used to, and I am not confident that I am doing it right.

The instruction is K3, * Sl 1 wyif, k1 (repeat from *)

So, I'm reading it as:
    1. Knit 3 (duh :)),
    2. Move the yarn to the front as if to purl
    3. Slip the switch purlwise
    4. Move the yarn to the back as if to knit
    5. Knit 1

Is that right, or am I reading it wrong?
    I only have two rows done, but I figured I would ask before it got too upsetting to frog :)

Hello lovely knitters, I hope you can help - I am starting a more advanced project than I am used to, and I am not confident that I am doing it right.

So, I'm reading it as:
    5. Knit 1

I only have two rows done, but I figured I would ask before it got too upsetting to frog :)

It's awkwardly written alright! Normally they put exactly what you have to do in order but you have to rely on the comma in this case. Is there any key to the abbreviations they're using on the pattern?

If I saw that I think I would do as you did but I think I'd slip knitwise if it didn't say. Is this a lace pattern? Is the next row just a row of purl? Any link to the pattern?

The pattern is from the DomiKNITrix book - the Home Grown Bag.
    I couldn't find a link to it...

To be honest, I'm not sure what the knitwise/purlwise slip stitch looks like in the long run, it's my first time slipping stitches, so I based it on a youtube tutorial, and they said to do purlwise unless told otherwise.

The next row is the opposite, P3, Sl1 wkib, P1 - and these two rows are repeated for the rest of the pattern... as long as I do the knitwise slip stitch here the pattern should at least be even !

But that's why I checked here ;)
    So, I have no problem ripping it back out and trying the other way if you think that would be better.

Edited to add: there is no stitch explanation for sl1 in the book that I can find, and the wyif is just explained as 'with yarn in front'...

The pattern is from the DomiKNITrix book - the Home Grown Bag.
    I couldn't find a link to it...

To be honest, I'm not sure what the knitwise/purlwise slip stitch looks like in the long run, it's my first time slipping stitches, so I based it on a youtube tutorial, and they said to do purlwise unless told otherwise.

The next row is the opposite, P3, Sl1 wkib, P1 - and these two rows are repeated for the rest of the pattern... as long as I do the knitwise slip stitch here the pattern should at least be even !

But that's why I checked here ;)
    So, I have no problem ripping it back out and trying the other way if you think that would be better.

Edited to add: there is no stitch explanation for sl1 in the book that I can find, and the wyif is just explained as 'with yarn in front'...

Yeah it seems to be to twist it a bit rather than increase. Do it as you're doing it I would say. :)

This it?
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/homegrown-purse

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Yeah it seems to be to twist it a bit rather than increase. Do it as you're doing it I would say. :)

Thank you - no doubt I'll be back again when I can't figure something out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

So, I'm reading it as:
    5. Knit 1

I wonder does wyif mean with yarn in front, ie setting you up to purl as you have been? Then wyib could be with yarn in back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    You def cant bring knitting needles on a plane even plastic ones or plastic crochet hooks.

I've been checking airline and airport websites and a lot of them are now allowing knitting needles on planes.

Thank goodness, as I'm going on holiday to Australia next month and there's only so much reading you can do on such a long flight. Sydney Airport have removed them from their list of Prohibited Items (http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/international/onboard/prohibited_items.aspx), and Ethiad Airlines allows them.

EDIT: Sorry I must make a correction here. I got an e-mail today from Etihad that knitting needles are not allowed in cabin luggage. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

WOW, that's great. Funny how its no longer a threat! mmm what could I get done in 23 hours.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Hi All,

Here is the finished jumper.

[IMG][/img]6230530474_64630577e9_s.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mary Corbett

Anyone know where I can get good colours for knitting toys. Websites would be great as I am on a bedrest pregnancy!! I need loads of different bright colours. Am using Jean greenhowe books

Advertisement