Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

They're probably coming from the yarn being the wrong side of the work for the stitch (this is called a yarn over increase), and you will probably see little holes. For purl stitches the yarn tail should be to the front and for knit it should be to the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Das Kitty wrote: »
    They're probably coming from the yarn being the wrong side of the work for the stitch (this is called a yarn over increase), and you will probably see little holes. For purl stitches the yarn tail should be to the front and for knit it should be to the back.
    I'm trying to do that, but sometimes i get a bit confused. I've a couple of little holes, but I'm looking forward to there being fewer and fewer as I get better.

You will get better and better and faster too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One more quick question; I'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks, do Ryanair allow you to bring knitting needles on the plane? I won't be checking in any bags, and I'd hate to turn up and be told I can't bring it. I've tried calling but ran out of credit before they answered. I've tried jabbing myself with the needles to see if they could be called weapons and you'd honestly need a mallet to get it through the skin; the worst I could do is make a flight attendent say 'Ouch!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You def cant bring knitting needles on a plane even plastic ones or plastic crochet hooks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

my granny is an avid knitter and she is getting on in years, so im looking for a decent wool shop in north dublin, as we normally would have to go to monaghan for the wool

thanks
    any help appreciated

managerman wrote: »
    my granny is an avid knitter and she is getting on in years, so im looking for a decent wool shop in north dublin, as we normally would have to go to monaghan for the wool

Hickey's in the city centre has a lot of wool downstairs, with patterns too. There's also a shop called This is Knit, I think, it's in the Powerscourt centre just off Grafton St. It's sort of in two sections across from each other.

I've also seen wool in some of the 2euro shops on Talbot st., got some the other day and it was fine, although it's pretty much just plain thinnish wool in not many colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

thanks
    any help appreciated
    Stitch, in Beaumont, I can recommend.
    Great shop for a great selection of wools and patterns, and easy parking right outside or very nearby.
    http://www.stitch.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭janmaree

Just thought I'd mention The Constant Knitter, they have an online shop and lots of choice for quite reasonable prices. Irish too!!! Sometimes it's nice to let your fingers do the shopping and the postman hauls the parcels for you! www.theconstantknitter.ie for anyone who's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 metoyou09

thanks
    any help appreciated

Theres a great shop open now in Blanchardstown. Its in a newsagents in the superquinn shopping centre. Know it?
    Has everything in there. Really great wool that your granny would be delighted it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

metoyou09 wrote: »
    Theres a great shop open now in Blanchardstown. Its in a newsagents in the superquinn shopping centre. Know it?
    Has everything in there. Really great wool that your granny would be delighted it

yea brilliant, was over that way last night and called in, great shop with a big selection of wool, prices are very reasonable, the granny was delighted with it, will be going back really soon

thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Just posted in a new thread, a Knit-a-thon in case any of you are interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mrsmiawallace6

Hi

Are there any knitters out there who can help me understand a pattern.

Would be a huge help if u had more novelty items by Patons

please help

What do you need help understanding, can you type it up here?

hi

i just fin the left arm of a piece and now i need to do the right.
    all it says is work as before but reverse shapping and border. i can do the border reverse but can u tell me how to do the reverse of below

with right side facing shape armhole by casting of 4 sts at beg of each row, then dec 1st at beg of every alternite row until 30 remain.

So if you decreased at the beginning of every alternate row on the first sleeve, you probably did it on the right facing side. On the second sleeve do it with wrong side facing. You're looking for the sleeves to be mirror images of each other. Hope that helps.

ok i am stuck again lol

i have a bit here

2.2 tog.t.b.1, k1.

wat does the .t.b.1 mean

thanks in advance

to back of loop. So you might see k2tog tbl, Knit two together to back of loop. If you do a YouTube search for knitting and tbl you'll get some videos, much easier than diagrams!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Hello knitters!
    Would anyone have a recomendation for a knitting pattern for plus size cardigan?
    I have seen some that I like and they give bust measurements in cm. Would that be circumference around back or just across bust? Silly question maybe..

kandr10 wrote: »
    Hello knitters!
    Would anyone have a recomendation for a knitting pattern for plus size cardigan?
    I have seen some that I like and they give bust measurements in cm. Would that be circumference around back or just across bust? Silly question maybe..

All the way around.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    All the way around.

Thanks a mill! It'd be a stupid mistake to make :)

Loving the recommendations for sellers on ebay. Gonna go check them out.

Very excited. Just placed an order on the woolly jumper craft company shop on ebay. This is the pattern I'm getting and the wool to match. Just finished a huge project for my niece's birthday. It was a play rug with a picture of a house and castle on it. Dying to get stuck into something else now :)

140.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Hi, I've just come across this thread - it's great, I love seeing the pictures - amazing. Just wondering if any of you have bought wool from the internet. I have seen some brilliant colours for aran weight wool, but I'm a bit hesitant as to whether the wool will be a completely different shade to that shown on the sites. Thanks.

hi fello knitters i am stuck again

this is the hardest piece i have done so thanks for the help

cast of 7 sts at beg of next row then dec 1 st at this edge on every row until 18 sts remain

ok so does this mean i beg the dec 1 at the beging of every row. not sure wat they mean by "at this edge"

thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,072 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

cast of 7 sts at beg of next row then dec 1 st at this edge on every row until 18 sts remain

ok so does this mean i beg the dec 1 at the beging of every row. not sure wat they mean by "at this edge"

thanks

It somewhat depends on the pattern you are doing in the stitches, but in general...
    Cast off your 7 stitches, then finish the first row.
    On the second row, work til you get to the last three stitches, work two together and then work the last stitch (this gives you a smooth edge when it comes to joining pieces) - this decreases one stitch
    Third row, work one (to get the smooth edge for stitching up), then work two together then finish the row as normal - this decreases another stitch.

'At this edge' means the edge that has the 'step' on it where you decreased seven stitches in one row. It means you will be decreasing on every row, at the start of some rows and at the end of others, but always at the same edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭janmaree

cofy wrote: »
    Hi, I've just come across this thread - it's great, I love seeing the pictures - amazing. Just wondering if any of you have bought wool from the internet. I have seen some brilliant colours for aran weight wool, but I'm a bit hesitant as to whether the wool will be a completely different shade to that shown on the sites. Thanks.

Hi there. I've bought wool online before, Elann and Jimmy Beans Wool were two that I found to be great. Elann have lots of lovely free patterns too, you just have to register to access them but there's no charge. Any time I bought wool online the colours were fine, just as I'd expected. Only hitch can be the shipping charges! Good luck.

Getting back into the swing of knitting now that the nights are closing in. Almost finished my rainbow stripy blanket that I'm making for my friend's baby due in a few weeks. Hope to get it sent out before the child arrives for a change!I'll post photos once it's finalised and all those ends are sewed in!

I'm almost done my v-neck long sleeved sweater, just waiting for some knitpro tips to come in the post so I can finish the sleeves and neckline

Started a pair of socks for myself, yarn is so gorgeous, it's a Natural Dye Studio Angel sock yarn, I went for a simple pattern as the wool is beautiful.
    http://www.thenaturaldyestudio.com/angel---4-plysocksport-yarn-190-c.asp
    angel-4-ply-sock-sport-dyed-to-order-313-c.jpg

aaaaannnnndddd, ordered some yarn for the baby's winter hat and gloves, blue and turquoise, think I'll go with stripes this year. :)

49205_g.jpgsirdar-snuggly-baby-bamboo-dk-156-sailboat-new-s-s-2010--2716-p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Hello fellow knitters!

Having made as many scarves, hats and bags as I can stomach, I want to move up to something a little more complex - and I'm hoping to knit a sweater dress - does anyone know of a good pattern? Ideally one with a v-neck...

I'm a beginner to intermediate but can normally follow a pattern relatively easily. And i know where to come if I am tearing my hair/stitches out :D

Thank you very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Kash wrote: »
    Hello fellow knitters!

Having made as many scarves, hats and bags as I can stomach, I want to move up to something a little more complex - and I'm hoping to knit a sweater dress - does anyone know of a good pattern? Ideally one with a v-neck...

I'm a beginner to intermediate but can normally follow a pattern relatively easily. And i know where to come if I am tearing my hair/stitches out :D

Thank you very much!

Hi, I have been googling free knitting patterns and I came across this if it's any use to you
    http://www.berroco.com/177/177_susan.html

It's not v-necked but just wondering if it is along the lines of what you are looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Hi, I have been googling free knitting patterns and I came across this if it's any use to you
    http://www.berroco.com/177/177_susan.html

It's not v-necked but just wondering if it is along the lines of what you are looking for?

Thank you for thinking of me!

I am looking for something a bit more figure flattering - something like this or this (complexity/sleeve/pattern notwithstanding):
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLWXhxaDA_czIbHuhNHUPob47mieU8XAYK1sJWiNC3DOrJ2B8Ximages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQU-ApIwAsyJbsFWKopnLq7adyngbg0mu_dvOmma-VpbPp--UIE

I am really struggling to find a pattern!

Advertisement