Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've seen them confiscating needles from knitting, personally I wouldn't risk my interchangeables.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had my 2 plastic crochet hooks confiscated, mortifying! It was on BMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I had my 2 plastic crochet hooks confiscated, mortifying! It was on BMI.

I shouldn't laugh but seriously what damage can be done with two plastic crochet hooks? I'm trying to picture some sort of Lara Croft character choosing the crochet hook as a weapon of choice....

Banning metal needles kind of makes sense, hence I thought wooden tips may make a difference, but if plastic hooks got taken???

Funny considering I had a metal nail file and toe nail clippers in my hand luggage! Its a big no no, any kind of needles, they just approach you when they see the wool.

Funny considering I had a metal nail file and toe nail clippers in my hand luggage! Its a big no no, any kind of needles, they just approach you when they see the wool.

Sucks for finger knitters! :pac:

• Advertisement

I would if I thought finger knitting would occupy me for 1.5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

I would have thought having a knitter on a flight WITHOUT her knitting would be far more dangerous!!

Does anyone have an online pattern for baby boy booties, I need a pair made for Saturday night.

I have every thickness and size needle I will need, just need something that will work. I have a few but they are more girly 'Mary Jane' type ones.

Does anyone have an online pattern for baby boy booties, I need a pair made for Saturday night.

I have every thickness and size needle I will need, just need something that will work. I have a few but they are more girly 'Mary Jane' type ones.

If someone finds you a pattern it will be a lot easier than taking the leap of faith required to follow my pattern here but just in case no one responds with a link I thought I'd pop this up, they are really simple plain ones and I did them in Peter Pan dk for my nephew which worked up beautifully (I'll recheck again for typos) and took a couple of hours.

Plain bootees in DK on 4mm for a newborn.

Cast on 23 sts loosely like for a sock.
    Knit
    K2 m1 K9 m1 k1 m1 k9 m1 k2
    Knit
    K2 m1 K11 m1 k1 m1 k11 m1 k2
    Knit
    K2 m1 K13 m1 k1 m1 k13 m1 k2
    Knit
    K2 m1 K15 m1 k1 m1 k15 m1 k2
    with 39 sts do 6 rows of ss before shaping the instep

K22 s1 k1 psso turn
    p6 p2tog turn
    knit 6 s1 k1 psso turn
    p6 p2tog turn
    knit 6 s1 k1 psso turn
    p6 p2tog turn
    knit 6 s1 k1 psso turn
    p6 p2tog turn
    knit 6 s1 k1 psso turn
    p6 p2tog turn (29 sts)
    Knit to end increasing 1 stitch in center of the row

Change to 3 1/4 for the start of the rib
    6 rows in 2 x 2 rib on the small needles then back onto 4mm. Continue until the rib is 7cm. cast off and sew up.

WOW, thanks a million, hope you were able to copy and paste that!

It looks really good, Im running up a test 1 of these before bed but I'll try your tomorrow night.

IMG_28201.JPG

• Advertisement

I've made something very close to these before and they were fab.

http://fuzzygalore.biz/patterns/cbbooties.shtml

WOW, thanks a million, hope you were able to copy and paste that!

It looks really good, Im running up a test 1 of these before bed but I'll try your tomorrow night.

IMG_28201.JPG

They're cute, and a bit different. The one I posted is very much the vanilla traditional bootie.

Actually having followed the pattern once I did the pattern with super chunkie on 8mm needles to make adult booties which required a little fiddling at the instep as I went along but actually turned out quite nicely. I stopped the rib short and put a ribbon in.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I've made something very close to these before and they were fab.

http://fuzzygalore.biz/patterns/cbbooties.shtml

They look really cute and with another nephew or niece due this week I am thinking that maybe I should give them a go (but I'm kinda hoping for a niece so I can do some mary jane style ones with flowers that I have a pattern for).

I have never knit a flower although armed with my hook I can crochet a pansy or rose or whatever with my eyes closed (significant risk Beef will cheat and get the hook out when it comes time for flower production methinks)

Finished my 'shot-gun' boots at 12:30am the day before the Baptisim. Had no time to get a pic. I did the ones above but in aran cabel stitches and a higher ankle. They stayed on for a while anyway.

I'll get a pic next time I see them orf I might make a set for my little one in another colour, I had to try them on her to see if they'd fit and she got attached.

Any way anyone got a pattern for a girls sun hat in debbie bliss dk cotton or similar?

pg-Pure_Cotton.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CiaraCulkin

Join the mile high club for knitting? Sure have! First was last year on Ryanair! Took my pink furry case of needles in my hand luggage, and wool and knitted on the flight, same on way back. Then this year did same on Lufthansa and Belavia... Then again I was on the security station and saw a guy with a pocket knife being investigated. The officer examined all of the attachments to the knife and proceeded to hand the knife back to the gentleman who went on his way!!!:mad::confused::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 casiof91w

Hi

I am hoping someone will be able to knit me a jumper of an american stars and stripes design. Willing to pay of course.

Anyone know someone who could do this or direct me somewhere.

Thank you
    Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

casiof91w wrote: »
    Hi

I am hoping someone will be able to knit me a jumper of an american stars and stripes design. Willing to pay of course.

Anyone know someone who could do this or direct me somewhere.

Thank you
    Stephen

Most wool shops will be able to get someone to knit this for you, especially the smaller owner-run shops. If they can't do it they'll certainly know some good knitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DEEMAR

Hi All, Its great to see a thread like this one. I love knitting and go through phases, both hand and machine knitting. I find that wool is very expensive,but haven't bought online yet, so its great to hear of online sellers. I'm in the Limerick area and wonder if there are any knitting clubs in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 deepeedublin

not sure if there is a stitch and bitch club near you, but I hear they are grrrreat

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Hi Deemar,
    I am in the Limerick area and have just bought myself a secondhand knitting machine. I also love hand-knitting and have started spinning a bit too. There is a knitting club called Rainbow Stitch and Bitch which meets every Wednesday afternoon in Limerick City Centre at a pub called The Old Quarter, here's their info:

We meet in The Old Quarter bar just off Denmark Street in the city centre on WEDNESDAY afternevenings at 5.30pm.
    If it’s warm, we’ll be sitting outside, and if it’s gloomy we’ll be down the back in the comfy chairs! If it’s your first time joining us, I recommend turning up a wee bit late so as to be sure that we’ll be there!

May I ask you about your knitting machine, what type do you have, how much do you work with it?
    I am rediscovering machine knitting, but taking it very slowly, due to family and work and fact that the machine needs servicing! I learnt to use my mother's machine in the 1970's and 1980's, but haven't used one between 1989 and this year.
    looking forward to hearing about your knitting adventures!
    duckling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DEEMAR

Hi duckling10

Thanks for that info, unfortunately I can't make wednesdays as I work all day until late, what a pity, I would love to drop in to meet them all. I used to have an old Knitmaster fine guage machine when my kids were young but I haven't used one for years. Then I got the bug about a year or so ago and I bought a second hand (as knew) machine online. Its a Silver Reed Mid guage machine, so I can knit with thicker wool. It's very basic and I haven't done a whole lot of stuff on it - I wish I had more time, and would love to get back into it again. I really enjoy hand knitting too and it would be great to exchange pattern/ ideas with others

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

well this is a good place to be, and have you discovered www.ravelry.com yet?
    a veritable treasure trove for knitters, i'm in there, and love it! free patterns, hundreds of groups and forums, any topic you like is dealt with, be it knitting or crochet related or just real life...
    i never get to Rainbow SnB either, but maybe this summer if i get time on wednesdays.
    I have a brother chunky 260 knitting machine and a brother 800, as well as a toyota 901 i was given for free. all 3 need servicing, maybe this weekend.
    regards
    d:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Hi there :D

Am hoping for some help.....My sister is having her 4th child and her 40th birthday is to be her Baby Shower. I am hoping to get her a number of 1st/2nd size ballerina cardi's short and long sleeve. a couple of cute bonnets and boottees, maybe a 2nd size white lacy dress with some ribbon insert...now they are in NYC and baby due end of July so I was hoping to get some funky cotton & cashmere...in the likes of lime green/shocking pink/white..anybody out there up to the challenge...or is there somewhere you can recommend that I try for such a layette??

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Hi, long time lurker in this forum but I’ve only posted once. :)

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else before. Does anyone know if the wool companies i.e. Sirdar, Patons, Wendy, etc. bring out new women's patterns very often?
    Reason I ask is I’m finding it really hard to find new patterns I like, it seems to be the same old stuff all the time.

Am almost finished attached pattern (an idea of what I like...) and want to have my next one ready to start as soon as it’s finished. Am already beginning to panic that I won’t have a pattern when the time comes, am one of those people who’s fingers itch if I don’t have something to knit!:p

Sirdar bring out new patterns constantly.

I get mine from the Wooly Jumper Craft Company on eBay and they always seem to have new ones.

Rowan also do free patterns on their website, I'm just finished a nice tank top from there.

I do know your panic though, last time I was down to one Work in Progress I had such a panic I got enough patterns for years and loads of yarn. Started three new projects all in the same week! Not good!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

There are dozens of pattern available via the website ravelry Problem is you spend so much time looking there's little time left for knitting !
    PS Oops, this is Ponster's wife, forgot to sign in.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭janmaree

Vogue have a brilliant website with lots of free patterns as well as very reasonable downloadable patterns and frequent sales that they'll email you about beforehand. Some of their patterns are stunning and I'd be surprised if you didn't find plenty of patterns to match your taste. Good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Thank you so much!! Those Vogue & Rowan sites are amazing, I've now got 10 new patterns lined up for when this cardigan is finished, happy days!

Dying to have a look at the Wooly Jumper Craft Company on eBay, unfortunately it's blocked here so I'll have to wait until I get home from work.

Roll on saturday so I can go wool shopping!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Patons website do free patterns aswell, as do www.lionbrand.com. But for nothing beats the local wool shop when you come up against something you need help with!!

Does anyone have a good pattern for mittens for a baby (with a thumb) - getting ready for winter!!

• Advertisement

I'm knitting a v-neck fitted sweater for myself at the moment. It's in Aran weight.

So I did the decreases per the pattern, every 13th row 4 times then 14 rows straight, then increases the same as the decreases and tried it on and it was way too long, It was down over the bum and it's supposed to sit just below the trouser line. Aaargh.

I didn't make any mistakes, and my gauge was right so it seems the pattern is wrong / stupid. So I frogged it up to the 3rd decrease and am eliminating one decrease and one increase. I could frog all the way up to the armhole and leave fewer rows between the dec/inc but I was already getting sick of knitting it!

So annoyed I didn't listen to my instinct about it being too long when I was going along, aarrrgh!

Advertisement