Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Great idea I also think you need to add pics if possible, they make a big difference, especially if asking for advice or help.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muireann50

Hi Knitters,

I just decided to take up knitting. I'm still learning the basics and trying not to get ahead of myself because I keep seeing patterns online that I want to start straight away. I'm just hoping to find out where is the best place to stock up on supplies, e.g wool, extra needles, bits of lace, etc. Will it be cheaper to do it online or am I better off going into a shop seeing as I don't know exactly what i need? I am in Dublin by the way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Woo hoo! Knitting thread!

I have been knitting for about 3 years. It's my passion now. I sit at work dreaming of being home with my needles!

Muireann, I buy most of my yarn on eBay, there are a good few UK shops on there that have a massive selection. I started with a scarf as most people do as when you start your knitting is usually looser and gradually tightens over time. This would ruin most garments but not a scarf!

After that I started buying sirdar baby clothes patterns and the recommended yarn. Baby clothes are great for beginners as you're never too long knitting the same thing and you get quick results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I've just started knitting and I'm making a hat. I'm hoping to purchase some nice yarn because while theres a shop near me that sells amazing stuff, its a bit steep. Anyone recommend any good ebay sellers?

I would say when you starting off to buy in a local shop as you just need a set of needles and 1 ball of wool for a scarf.

Once you choose the correct wool for the needles you'll have an idea when buying wool online whether it will be bigger or smaller than the wool and needles you have.

Another tip is to do a lap of all the 2nd hand shops in the town and ask if they have any knitting needles. I've trebled my stash of needles by doing this since Jan and it cost me peanuts.This means I have the needles for what ever bargain wool I find.

If you can't be bothered knitting a scarf, knit a rectangle 13inches x 6 inches and sew up the side to make a childs hat.

Doesn't really matter about stitch etc

like this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2544/4204891442_9da674c066_o.jpg

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I would say when you starting off to buy in a local shop as you just need a set of needles and 1 ball of wool for a scarf.

Once you choose the correct wool for the needles you'll have an idea when buying wool online whether it will be bigger or smaller than the wool and needles you have.

Another tip is to do a lap of all the 2nd hand shops in the town and ask if they have any knitting needles. I've trebled my stash of needles by doing this since Jan and it cost me peanuts.This means I have the needles for what ever bargain wool I find.

If you can't be bothered knitting a scarf, knit a rectangle 13inches x 6 inches and sew up the side to make a childs hat.

Doesn't really matter about stitch etc

like this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2544/4204891442_9da674c066_o.jpg

I'm nearly finished the hat which I made on a circle needles (needles connected by a long bit of plastic. Sorry for not making it clear that I already begun.
    I did purchase the stuff at a local shop (who include a beginners class in the kit, hence why i'm making the hat for myself, their decision) but the one I have found is a bit fancy and expensive so thats why I was looking for cheaper alternatives now.

You could search for the brand you liked on eBay. I usually only buy from top rated sellers and use the buy it now options.

My favourite eBay seller (mainly because I knit a lot of sirdar things) is The Woolly Jumper Craft Company.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You could search for the brand you liked on eBay. I usually only buy from top rated sellers and use the buy it now options.

My favourite eBay seller (mainly because I knit a lot of sirdar things) is The Woolly Jumper Craft Company.

Thanks i'll look at that seller, I'm too much of a knitting noob to even know what brand to search for.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Hi Spinandscribble,
    am i correct in my inderstanding that you are based in Edinburgh?
    I have just gone up on www.ravelry.com and searched for knitting groups in Edinburgh.
    Here's a little clip from a group called City Knitty in Edinburgh:

City Knitty We have a blog with more info is at http://cityknitty.blogspot.com
    Meets at Caffe Lucano on George IV Bridge from around 7.30 every Wednesday.
    And at double dutch, 27-29 Marshall Street, on alternate Saturdays and Sundays from 2.00pm
    Borders @ Fort Kinnaird
    Stitch and Bitch Club
    Come along every Tuesday from 6pm to 8pm and join in our knitting club. Held instore at our new events area - we provide the tea and coffee, you provide the gossip.
    A Right Bunch of Knitters
    Meets every Wednesday from 7pm in the Black Bull Inn, Mid Calder, West Lothian.

I also spotted this discussion in their forum, a lady has been spotted selling wool at a market and car boot sale...
    "Just back from the flea market in the old drill hall (now known as ‘out of the blue’) in Dalmeny Street, where a lady had boxes of wool. She says she got them from a shop that closed. It’s all on cones of various amounts, lots of 4ply, some aran. It’s mostly wool/acrylic blend and some of the labels say shetland. Absolute bargain for what it is. I think I came away with about 800-900 grams and she only charged me £4.
    She said she has more so I suspect there will be more to see on another saturday too. Not been kept in a smoke free environment though ! :/"
    "I saw her too at the car boot sale on sunday mornings in the st. james’s shopping centre car park if people are looking for her."

if I've misunderstood and you are not based in Edinburgh, sorry about that.
    In general my hints would be to shop around for wool, lots of discount shops and some supermarkets sell acrylic if you want to buy wool relatively cheaply, also I would check the charity shops regularly in your area for wool, Lidl regularly have wool on sale, you just have to watch their weekly offers.

eBay can be expensive, but keep an eye on other sites,

such as freecycle.org for your area where people give away their unwanted stuff. gumtree, and craigslist maybe for your own area.
    On www.ravelry.com there are forums where people are selling off wool from their own stash, this is called destashing, and the price is given as opposed to ebay where you have to bid,
    there is a UK Classifieds forum on ravelry, a European destash, an INternational destash, spinners marketplace, you name it, it's there....

going to a local knitting group is a great idea to get hints from other people in your area.
    there are also sites that sell wool online, Colourmart is based in UK, colourmart.com, supposedly good value for wool, if you know what you want.
    Hope that helps
    d

Here's my latest finished object, not the best photo but it's hard to take one of your own head!

It's a lacy beret made from Sublime Kid Mohair.

Here'e the ravelry link for more details on pattern etc.

http://ravel.me/DasKitty/oll2

attachment.php?attachmentid=150840&d=1299586161

• Advertisement

Oh my god thats brilliant, was it knit on circular needles or flat.... The kid mohair is great, I think its not even slightly itchy but warm and really easy to work with.

Did any one see circular needles sizes 6mm + but connected with a 12" piece.

All the needles I have, the connecting thing is too long for a hat, they must be made for sweaters.

I knitted it flat but on circular needles as that's what I mostly use (because they're light and you can put big things on them). I'd love to be able to modify flat patterns to in the round. I got a set of bamboo circulars from a seller on eBay a few years back, possibly from Asia but I'm not sure. Their feedback was great and the price was better so I went with it. They've lasted well but are starting to get a little brittle now around the joins so I'm thinking of replacing them with KnitPicks if I can get someone in the US to take delivery of them.

wmpdd3 - have you tried the magic loop method of knitting small things on long circular needles? I know someone who threw out her Double pointed needles after mastering it. I haven't had a lot of luck with it myself though.

Wow, I never heard that but I just did a few rows of baby socks and it works fine. Much easier than the 4 open ended needles.

My 4mm circular needles are the stiffest ones so I'll steep them in hot water before I knit the other sock! You really need them to be very flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Ive started knitting again recently and found my local library great for reminding me of different types of knit.
    When my daughter saw me knitting she wanted to try. I found her a kit from Smyths toy shop ,huge chunky wooden needles which knit fast and give quick results, much easier for her than the usual 4mm short kids needles.

Thanks, I'd never heard of Ravelry and found it now through this thread.
    Can we all post our favorite knitting sites too?
    Its not soley dedicated to knitting but I like Threadbanger , just put knitting in the search facility http://www.threadbanger.com/post/12543/weekly-diy-roundup-funny-knit-patterns

tishandy wrote: »
    Ive started knitting again recently and found my local library great for reminding me of different types of knit.
    When my daughter saw me knitting she wanted to try. I found her a kit from Smyths toy shop ,huge chunky wooden needles which knit fast and give quick results, much easier for her than the usual 4mm short kids needles.

this one?

http://www.toys.ie/My-Chunky-and-Funky-Scarf-!E04510-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=d276b310-d7c5-4022-9b69-b5d9ad0eba02

this looks great well worth 9 quid.

Thats the one. Lovely yarn with it . I was a bit jealous. Ill definately use the needles again myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I've just started knitting, started as soon as the shops opened after christmas. First I made a scarf that actually turned out to be a small blanket for my puppy (I was making a silly mistake at the end of each row which made it get bigger all the time) after that I made a Gryffindor scarf which I wear every day and I'm exceptionally proud of even though it was really quite simple. Then I made a scarf using the basketweave stitch, at least I think that's what it was called.

I made a pair of fingerless gloves that were just a rectangle and sewn up the side with a hole for the thumb, really simple to make and I put heart on them, so did my first multicolour knitting that wasn't just strips. I've now moved on to socks and actually feeling confident enough to actually knit something and give it to someone. I've really enjoyed knitting, I get to be kind of creative and I feel really proud when I wear something I made. Plus I get to make things that are uniquely suited to me and match my personality as well as being really cheap!

I found knitting.about.com really helpful. I taught myself from the internet and they were helpful because there were loads of pictures and I can't learn from videos. Also Silver's Sock Class was really good for socks. Again lots of pictures and once I got past the whole 4 needles thing, they really weren't that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scapegoateire

Hi all.
    I'm another new knitter and need some help. I have been looking online, ebay etc for some yarn and tbh my head is wrecked! There's just so much choice to trawl through. I'm just a beginner so I would rather not spend much on yarn right now while I practice. At the same time, I hear that acrylic can be dodgy even though its cheaper. So I'm looking for inexpensive but nice yarn I guess! If anyone could point me in the right direction when it comes to brands or shops on ebay I would appreciate it so so much.
    Cheers :)

Hi all.
    I'm another new knitter and need some help. I have been looking online, ebay etc for some yarn and tbh my head is wrecked! There's just so much choice to trawl through. I'm just a beginner so I would rather not spend much on yarn right now while I practice. At the same time, I hear that acrylic can be dodgy even though its cheaper. So I'm looking for inexpensive but nice yarn I guess! If anyone could point me in the right direction when it comes to brands or shops on ebay I would appreciate it so so much.
    Cheers :)
    i would say use the acrylic and knit some thing like bag. The acrilic would be hard wearing and very suitable. Your right id never wear acrylic but i often use it for trims as is much easier to get good colours.

• Advertisement

My cheap-as-chips bamboo circular needles (which I use all the time) have started giving up on me, my 3.25 has given up completely and even my superglue fix didn't work :(

So last night I ordered the needle set I have wanted for ages, the Knitpro (KnitPicks) Interchangeable circular ones. Can't wait for them to come.

RHW_FCKN_B.gif

<3

Do they deliver to Ireland now?, always wanted them.

Do they deliver to Ireland now?, always wanted them.

See that's the impression I was under and was lamenting to my husband and he did a search and found that they're called KnitPro in Europe. I found an eBay seller in the UK that I had used before. www.thisisknit.ie has them as well.

Oh brilliant, m next treat when I have money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Poppadoc

Hi was was wondering if someone can advise me as to where i can find a tutorial to knit a k3b stitch. Thanks

I know you are probably looking for a video, but I'll try help.

It there supposed to be a ripple in the pattern?

It usually means knit 3 stitches using the bumps from the row below. It will make a little ripple or dart.

Is it an edge or a seam?

Finished up a few objects over the last few days.

A Car Coat and Hat for a friend's little girl
    154302.JPG

And a Jumper for my baby man
    154303.jpg

I also finished something for another boardsie, but I won't post it here. It just needs to be washed and dried flat before sending out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

Oh brilliant, m next treat when I have money!

Not a treat, a necessity (once you've had them) :)

The different cable lengths and the fact you can use the cables as stitch holders while knitting up the front and back/ travelling is brilliant.

Also the fact that you can rib on one size and then just change the points to increase the needle size for the body rather than trying to knit off one circular needle onto another. Makes me wonder how I ever managed to knit on circular needles before I had them.

I gave all my old needles to my Mam once I got my knitpro kit (I bought it from thisisknit back in January).

Now, if only some one could figure out how to make a small enough circular needle so I could retire my sock needles I'd be in heaven.

Oh, Das Kitty they are brilliant, I love you little mans sweater, no tight neck or fastenings, perfect.

I have used the yarn you made the little hat and coat from it is a dream to work with but works out expensive enough when you go up in age. But it is really hard wearing, I have a hat I made in it and it must be 3 years old, looks like new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

Anyone any experience of knitting on Ryanair? I have wooden interchangeable tips on a circular needle so even if they confiscate the points I can keep the knitting but if anyone knows that it is a no no then I won't bother risking the tips.

Advertisement