Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mess - Military Forum Off Topic Thread!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

Sounds a lot like the "Brown Biscuits" in the Irish ration packs.

And to think i had an old and probably very crushed packet of them in my gear somewhere, i could have solved the entire problem and i never even thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I have them sitting about in my gear too!Loving the name,biscuit ABs!

I dont think i've ever met anyone man enough to actually eat them.

You havent met me:cool:

Oh wait........

Wait a minute...your avatar is you eating the biscuits! Seriously tho, they should be given out with the dinners down there.

Although they do say the army catering course is the hardest in the army...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Fruit or brown? brown are rank. Only solution I had was to dunk them in tea or slap slices of bacon burger in between them.

Brown are indeed rank, fruit arent too bad, a bit on the dry side. Unfortunately I've been told they have the opposite effect to the Brown biscuits...the mullingar effect :eek:

pmg58 wrote: »
    Brown are indeed rank, fruit arent too bad, a bit on the dry side. Unfortunately I've been told they have the opposite effect to the Brown biscuits...the mullingar effect :eek:

The Mullingar detox effect!

Mind you the mint cakes are unreal!Not a big fan of the spotted dick though,puns galore!

The Mullingar diet: How to eat like a horse and still lose a stone in 2 weeks.

Mint cake is great...especially the chocolate covered one. Spotted dick isnt bad...just dont spill it all over your rifle. I'm a massive fan of the dried fruit too, but they seem to be very much a love-it-or-hate-it thing.

Ahh ffs, Mintcake...Never got that in our gear, good thng too, i bought some in some outdoor shop once and I discovered..I absolutely hate the stuff, now I'll eat anything, and I mean anything but I'll swap that stuff for a couple of packets of coffee any day.....Yuck!

• Advertisement

:eek:I thought everyone loved the mintcake,a little slice of heaven on them cold wet nights in your bivvie on your own!

Iceage, I pity you, I really do. Mintcake is amazing.

However I wouldn't recommend eating something almost entirely composed of sugar whilst trying to get to sleep :rolleyes:.

:eek:I thought everyone loved the mintcake,a little slice of heaven on them cold wet nights in your bivvie on your own!

bashers, no bivvies in my day mate, used to get a mars or something similar, or swapped with mates, always carried some extra goodies in my beltkit though. Sucker for boiled sweets. The Dextrose tabs were nice. It was always rumoured that they were the antidote for the old AB's never found that myself, and would spend the next few days after an Exercise trying to sort myself out so to speak! A few pints and a decent kebab would always sort it out.;)

Funny I take 1000mg Vitamin C tabs daily now as routine and have never had a problem. Ratpacks have came a long way since then.

iceage wrote: »
    bashers, no bivvies in my day mate

And the old-man award goes to Iceage :pac:

And I'd like to thank the Academy........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

COME ON THE DUBS!

Is there a match on??.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Is there a match on??.......

I would have called it training...for Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I'm absolutely disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Poccington wrote: »

You're not actually surprized though are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I thought it would have been closer, I wasn't expecting a rout. :o

What was the score, I was far, far to busy to watch a match today.....

Poccington wrote: »

Same here:(

I hate Cork!

Hey guys forgot to tell ya I found a guy in Wexford who sells Fruit biscuits!!!! OH YESSSS!

Hey guys forgot to tell ya I found a guy in Wexford who sells Fruit biscuits!!!! OH YESSSS!

Eugh!Get me a mint cake and I'll be happy!:pac:nom:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Anyone read operation certain death? more impotantly anybody ever make the mre bomb :pac::pac: CB-MRE B

One of the funniest pieces of self engineering i've come across

mre bomb? explain please!

Well it was invented by a bored SAS lad know as Yokel. They were on a training exercise with US SF (Seals and Delta) and he was sitting in the tent messing about with the mre's. He took note of how you add water and it heats up and gives off a gas. So, he thought about how you use the heat and pressure, enter coke bottle, so he stuffed as much of the mre as he could into the coke bottle and scrambled to find the lid, and the Coke Bottle MRE Bomb was made He left it outside Air troops tent until it exploded, with a fairly big explosion according to him, and broke his s**te laughing as air troop piled out of the tent, mp5's at the ready. Eventually they all figure out how to make them and after reaching the point of MAD, they decided it would be more fun to use it on their american counter parts, who didnt seem to find it funny at all.

He soon move onto the CB-MRE-B Mark II, they chemically weaponised version as he put it, basically they pissed in it instead of using water. Again the americans didnt see the funny side when they set them off in us tents

Thats brilliant! Next time I get issued the chemical heaters in my ration pack I think I'll keep one for future use...

• Advertisement

Yeah, grab all you can

Their excuse to the OC when the yanks grassed them up was that they were testing the security of the base, the americans didnt like being waked up by a piss and homey pie bomb

Advertisement