Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aphex Twin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Got 26 mixes the other day. I find that since I've cut it down to a CD of 14 tracks it's far better. Some cracking tunes on it. Krieger is amazing.

Druqz I've only listened to once but the prepared piano pieces are incredibly pretty and Vordhosbn is just.. wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

26 mixes for cash is my least favourite aphex album, a few decent songs on it but i wouldn't listen to it very often. and yeah digerdoo is a great song although one of the best songs on classics is definately polynomial-c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 compostrebirth

I agree, 26 Mixes for Cash is his worst. Drukqs and Selected Ambient Works 2 are his best. Polygon Window is also very worthwhile.

I agree, 26 Mixes for Cash is his worst. Drukqs and Selected Ambient Works 2 are his best. Polygon Window is also very worthwhile.

yeah polygon window is one of his best, also caustic window joyrex compilation is excellant

Mod edit: Unfortunately no discussion of that gig is allowed: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054981378

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Hangable Auto Bulb is now in Zavvi, not particularly cheap, it's good yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It's good but it shouldn't be expensive as it's currently in print from Warp. Shop around as you will probably get it cheaper. I think Tower have it in at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

I got it a few weeks ago in HMV on Henry street.

Can remember how much exactly, but it was quite cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Kold wrote: »
    Hangable Auto Bulb is now in Zavvi, not particularly cheap, it's good yeah?

my CD copy exploded in the burner.

only recovered half the pieces.

great tunes.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bump! Sorry to bring back this old thread but I didnt see the point in starting an new AT thread. Anyway due to the lack of recent releases from the man and the few gigs he has played for the last few years, Ive become more interested in the artists he is dropping in his sets. I have been looking at a few threads in the AT WATMM forums, one in particular is the unidentified Singapore tracks from his gig there last year. The 15 minute clip is amazing.

First track that blows me away comes in at 1 minute and 20 secs where he drops the artist Pale Sketcher - The Rainy Season which is amazing, then I found the link to the actual track.

Then there is unidentified track that comes in at 7.48 which is really nice.
    I have to admit I really enjoyed the Forbidden Fruit show where he dropped Mark Broom, Lakker, Autechre, Paradox among others.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Nice, still disgusts me that I've yet to see him play live, be it his own music or a DJ set :(

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Gutted I only found out about his recently, Aphex Twin and Penderecki *drools* at the European Cultural Congress. I would've tried to attend this had I known :(

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Anyone here who hasn't seen the rubber johnny video get onto youtube now and check it out.

Even more creepy and trippy than come to daddy's video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Saw him at Oxegen 2008 and really enjoyed it, the visuals were seriously messed-up! He didn't play 'Windowlicker' though which was a bit of a let down but his set went on for about an hour and a half.

I really hope he releases another Aphex Twin album someday. It's been too long.

I see the Caustic Window CD compilation has been reissued, I'll be grabbing that!

http://boomkat.com/cds/9196-caustic-window-compilation

Caustic Window - On The Romance Tip

So what do you folks make of this, is it fake or real, some of it is a nice listen. Unreleased Ambient Works 1985 - 2012 supposedly.
    http://forum.watmm.com/topic/71544-unreleased-ambient-works-1985-2012/

I'm going to call hoax on this but it does seem very odd. Searching on Google all sources seem to link back to this Kroniktronikboy guy. It sounds like Aphex but not quite.

Just had a quick scan through a few moments of it - very nice and I reckon sounds very like him, if its not its certainly bloody good!

Picked up that Caustic Window compilation also during the week, loving it.

Please join my Facebook campaign to get Aphex Twin for the Picnic, throw on a comment or a like, would love to be able to make this happen. https://www.facebook.com/groups/306301782765054/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 mclovin.

So what do you folks make of this, is it fake or real, some of it is a nice listen. Unreleased Ambient Works 1985 - 2012 supposedly.
    http://forum.watmm.com/topic/71544-unreleased-ambient-works-1985-2012/

Definitely not him.

mclovin. wrote: »
    Definitely not him.
    Any proof though?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mclovin.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Any proof though?

In the pudding.

I would have thought it was the other way round.

His remote controlled orchestra from last night at the Barbican in London, trippy wippy stuff. Im kinda confused shouldnt Aphex be also in the electronic thread :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Thanks for posting that, Bodhrandude. I really enjoyed it.:o

Aphex Twin is welcome in both threads

Bump: When is Aphex Twin / Tuss / Richard D. James going to tour again, he hasn't done anything since the London Barbrican in August 2012. WHY has he never been booked for EP I don't know, we effectively should have EP cancelled until he actually plays it. I know he has not released much since the Tuss ep and album, but I always thought he liked touring and playing sets.

Yeah it would be good to hear some new Aphex Twin material, been quite a while...

That Jodey Kendrick album 'Steel Erector' from 2012 was remarkably like Aphex material but I'm pretty sure it was determined as being just Joedy Kendrick! Well worth a listen for any that don't know it and would like an Aphex Twin type fix...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metrosity

Nice to scramble all of the s%&t out of your mind. Squarepusher is of that ilk too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

I wonder how much music he has released on the sly over the last few years. I'm sure there's a couple of albums worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I always thought he was the type of man who only does gigs or releases music when he needs a bit of cash. It's amazing when you watch one of his live shows on Youtube and he plays some random unreleased masterpiece that will probably never see the light of day again, and then it makes you wonder how many legendary albums of music he has locked away. :eek:

Advertisement