Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Art / crafts courses/ events you would recommend

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭stitchlily

Just to let folks know the Electric Picnic is going to have a Greencrafts section again this year. It's going to be in the Global Green area, and larger than last year. Lots of workshops on all kinds of crafts, and a sculpture trail. I'll be there, doing Eco/Re-cycled textile workshops. Cheap and cheerful!
    If you dont want to do a workshop, I'll have a Sit and Stitch area, where you can just come and well, sit and stitch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jennifer art

Im having more classes in Galway. Maybe you might be interested or would know people who are interested.

Thought I would do it cos I have been teaching in IADT Dun Laoirghaire part time for a couple of years and will be teaching there again in September. Check out their on line prospectus.

you can reply to this thread and I will give you my email. Will have my own website soon

The Dates are

Evening Classes
    Monday Evenings 7pm til 9pm
    for 8 weeks. from 21st of September til 9th of november.

One Day workshops.
    8th of Aug is last one left
    Each Saturday course costs 50 euro and a good Lunch, Tea and Coffee are provided.
    Classes run from 10am until 5pm Cost: €50

Class sizes are kept low to ensure a high level of individual attention, technical assistance and encouragement. Places very limited.

I base the classes around oil and Acrylic painting but as the class sizes are small I can work with you on your own projects. Therefore if you want to prepare a portfolio for getting into Art College, learn drawing Skills or are quite experienced and want to expand on your existing techniques these classes are perfect for you. They are also suitable for beginers as I can give a lot of individual attention.

I have heard of these courses in Trinity, Some of my students in IADT came from them, They are exceptionally reasonably priced, you might find more details in the Trinity art society, you can get away with not being a student either, as far as i know but ask them

Reccommend the life drawing ones,

getting a model on your own is very dear...

mainly made up of non-students, classes are small, teacher is good and all materials inlcuded. not too dear either (10eur for non-students). pm me or check website for more details. they also do pottery and life drawing 4/5days a week

Materials are supplied for all classes. Classes are run an a come as you
    please basis apart from those marked with an asterix- these are run as a
    series of weeks which must be taken together.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Harry.c

netanyahu wrote: »
    Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny

batik, sculpture, textiles, painting, ceramics/pottery , jewlery

Just wondering if anyone knows more than the site - (www.grennanmill.net) It doesn't provide a lot of information, other than the basics and would love to know what people have heard about it or if anyone has been! Thanks!:D

Hi All,Anyone know where I would be able to do a 1 or 2 day oil painting course in the southeast or will travel,thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Anyone attended or heard anything about the Jewellery & Goldsmithing Training Skills Course run by the crafts council down in Kilkenny?

I mailed off to the course coordinator and the woman in charge of applications, hoping to hear back from em :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Will wrote: »
    Anyone attended or heard anything about the Jewellery & Goldsmithing Training Skills Course run by the crafts council down in Kilkenny?

I mailed off to the course coordinator and the woman in charge of applications, hoping to hear back from em :)

I saw a girl who did that course on a 'Nationwide' a few weeks ago and she's doing well now. Can't remember who she was but her stuff looked great.

Best of luck with your application. I'd say it's a very enjoyable course.

Missed out on application deadline etc so will have to be next year i think, have no portfolio either. Either way waiting to hear back from the folks in kilkenny. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Will wrote: »
    Missed out on application deadline etc so will have to be next year i think, have no portfolio either. Either way waiting to hear back from the folks in kilkenny. :)

There is a thread in here on Portfolios. Have a look to help ya get started. ;)

Yeah seen that there, thank you :)

Harry.c wrote: »
    Hi All,Anyone know where I would be able to do a 1 or 2 day oil painting course in the southeast or will travel,thanks.

Hi harry

I do them in the west, in Galway, 50 euro a day including lunch. maybe you could get the train down if your based in Dublin. Some of my students have travelled down on the train before for the day as its not as stressful as driving or as tiring as the bus

Some one else was asking about Grennan mills. I know for a fact its an excellent course, several of my friends have done it and found it brill. They did all different kinds of media includin textiles etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplebeach

Hi there - You might be interested in a one day Still Life - Oil Painting Workshop given by Rick Bentham in The Premier Arts & Craft Store Greystones on Saturday 8th August 2009 from 10am - 4pm -Places are limeited to 10 and the cost is 60.00 for the day. Call 01-2873796 to book a place. You can check out Rick's work online as he is listed in a number of galleries - just google his name.

Hi harry

I do them in the west, in Galway, 50 euro a day including lunch. maybe you could get the train down if your based in Dublin. Some of my students have travelled down on the train before for the day as its not as stressful as driving or as tiring as the bus

Some one else was asking about Grennan mills. I know for a fact its an excellent course, several of my friends have done it and found it brill. They did all different kinds of media includin textiles etc

Thanks, I will think on it

Hi there - You might be interested in a one day Still Life - Oil Painting Workshop given by Rick Bentham in The Premier Arts & Craft Store Greystones on Saturday 8th August 2009 from 10am - 4pm -Places are limeited to 10 and the cost is 60.00 for the day. Call 01-2873796 to book a place. You can check out Rick's work online as he is listed in a number of galleries - just google his name.

Thanks, I,ll do that

Christmas Craft Extravaganza
    At The Premier Arts & Craft Store
    Sunday 16th August 2009 12 - 6pm

Christmas Card Making Demonstrations all day with Cliona Larkin

FREE ENTRY

A great day out for all the family - Learn how to make your own Christmas Cards and save with some great special offers on the day

http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/4223521/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FICOCO

Hi to all sewing enthusiasts!!:D

This is just a quick reminder about my beginners dress-making classes that commence on September 1st 2009, in Island Bridge, Dublin 8.

If anyone would like to join up there is currently one place available on Tuesday 1st September and one place available on Saturday 5th of September.

For further information about my classes and how to sign up, please visit my blog http://embellishisland.blogspot.com

Ficoco.

Hi all - I am starting a new term of card making classes next week in Greystones. There are 2 classes a week to chose from - Tuesday night 7pm-9pm starting Tuesday 8th September 2009 or Friday morning 10am - 12pm - starting Friday 11th September 2009. Cost is 70 euro for 6 classes including all your materials/tea/coffee/biscuits. Suitable for beginners/intermediate - we have a great laugh and learn loads. To book a place or book via my website www.chamberscardcraft.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭steve_oh

I've always wanted to learn the skill of wood carving. Having done a few google searches I came across the below website.

Wood Carving Video Lessons By Master Craftsman Yoram Drori

the lessons are really easy to follow. You dont need very much equipment (just a knife, a straight edge and some wood) and you can follow at your own pace.

They've done a really good job at putting the blog together and I recommend checking it out if you are interested in learning the craft of wood carving.

This is my first post on boards.ie. ..Hurray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 yvontune@iolfre

The Great Big Craft Extravaganza
    On the 25th /26th/27th of September

With An Siopa Bui in the Silver Springs Hotel Athlone

The GBCE has it’s own information blog, Click here and face book page, click here for full details of everything going on over the weekend; it has 11 shops, lots of challenges, and free demonstrations all weekend.

Entrance is Free, and you can book classes in advance, or on the day.

Over 30 classes in the following crafts for beginners to advanced.

Card Making, Scrap booking, Quilling, Parchment, Decoupage, Stamping,

Learn new techniques with craft punches,

Jewellery Classes in Tiara's Techniques, Floating Necklace,

Wedding Hair Fascinators, and so much more

Join us for what's promised to be the biggest and the best craft event in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 niamhoil

Jennifer,

I am really interested in doing a one or two day workshop on oil painting techniques. I dont suppose that you do a course like that in Dublin?

Cheers
    Im having more classes in Galway. Maybe you might be interested or would know people who are interested.

Thought I would do it cos I have been teaching in IADT Dun Laoirghaire part time for a couple of years and will be teaching there again in September. Check out their on line prospectus.

you can reply to this thread and I will give you my email. Will have my own website soon

The Dates are

Evening Classes
    Monday Evenings 7pm til 9pm
    for 8 weeks. from 21st of September til 9th of november.

One Day workshops.
    8th of Aug is last one left
    Each Saturday course costs 50 euro and a good Lunch, Tea and Coffee are provided.
    Classes run from 10am until 5pm Cost: €50

Class sizes are kept low to ensure a high level of individual attention, technical assistance and encouragement. Places very limited.

I base the classes around oil and Acrylic painting but as the class sizes are small I can work with you on your own projects. Therefore if you want to prepare a portfolio for getting into Art College, learn drawing Skills or are quite experienced and want to expand on your existing techniques these classes are perfect for you. They are also suitable for beginers as I can give a lot of individual attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

www.thecraftymarket.com;

"The Art and Crafts Market is an exciting new addition to Dublin's thriving market culture! Don't pay through the nose for handicrafts in exclusive shops when you can purchase them straight from the artist in a fun market environment where haggling is encouraged! The market holds up to 35 stalls which change on a regular basis to ensure a different shopping experience each time you visit! There is a wide selection of handicrafts and artwork at the market, ranging from paintings to homewares, jewellery to babyclothes, hats to handbags. There is something for everyone, young or old, and it is the ideal place to pick up an original handmade gift for a special occasion. Face-painting for kids, live music and a tarot card reader all add to the fun and ensure it will be a great day out for the whole family. "

at the Co-Op in Newmarket, Dublin 8;
    http://www.dublinfood.coop/html/about_find.html

Free in - All welcome.

And the Dublin Flea Market is on in the same venue today :)

• Advertisement

This Saturday 3rd Oct is International Day of Felt. More info here www.feltunited.com. I'll be at an open felting session in The Crafty Alley, in Killarney, Kerry, this Sat from 10am-12pm.

If anyone is doing anything, please let me know, I'm tying to compile a list of all the events in the country, woollywayATgmailDOTcom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SabrinaHepburn

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that i am organising a Christmas Craft Fair in Sligo on 21st November. As a part time crafter myself i thought that we could do with more events like this so i am starting here in my home town of Sligo!!
    If you are interested in coming along to this then please let me know, great way to make some extra cash coming up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

Hi - I want to host a pre-Halloween Special FX workshop in Galway, but am having trouble finding a room to rent - any ideas? It needs to have room for 10 - 15 people (between students & models) and access to a sink... Please PM if you have any advice! Thanks!

Kids Mid-Term Card Making Camp
    in Greystones

Thursday 29th & Friday 30th October 2009
    10.30am - 12.30pm
    €25.00 per child
    For Kids aged 7+
    Places are limited so book early.
    For further details
    www.chamberscardcraft.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alex22

Hi all,

Sabrina for you party room in Galway, it may be worth placing a free local ad here to promote your initiatives or look for further collaboration locally.

All the best,

Alex

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

We (TOG the Dublin hackerspace) are hosting two afternoon workshops next weekend (17th and 18th of October) as part of Innovation Dublin week, which might be of interest to members of this forum.

The general idea is to spend the afternoon (2pm to 6pm) enhancing clothing items and accessories with electronic devices creating unique electronic fashion garments. A selection of electronic devices including electroluminescent wire and Arduino LilyPad's will be available, with basic sewing materials and a range of clothing from a Irish mensware label for use during the workshopd. The participation fee of €15 (€12 students/unwaged) includes a basic el wire kit.

To find out more information or reserve a place see the follow page.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FICOCO

Embellish Island
    A new series of classes starts soon
    Beginner’s dress-making classes
    Tuesday 24th November 2009
    7pm-9pm
    Ten weeks duration
    Four weeks of classes before Christmas & six weeks after Christmas.
    €120
    For further details visit http://embellishisland.blogspot.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 imoca

Opening October 15 at 6.30pm - November 26

The Irish Museum of Contemporary Art wishes to invite you to the opening of their exciting new show Échantillons: A Selection of French Contemporary Art. The premier of this event provides a sampling of the artists and contemporary art practices in France today. The timing of such a show in Ireland is auspicious as it encourages and invites reflection on what is gained from our ever-increasing global interaction and interdependence. The exhibitions, installations and performances are all uniquely reflective of the curators, artists and teams responsible for creating them; however, at the same time their involvement and participation in an event such as this also clearly illustrates that the shared drive and passion of emerging arts practitioners transcends cultures and borders.

For more information about this event, please contact us:

Irish Museum of Contemporary Art
    Lad Lane
    Off Baggott St.
    Dublin 2
    10am - 5.30pm Daily
    [email protected]
    http://www.imoca.ie

echantillion.php

• Advertisement

If you are into textiles, freeform, Fibre Art, crochet, any kind of science/mathematics, enviromental, community, projects.... then you have to check out this workshop.
    "Margaret Wertheim of the Institute For Figuring in Los Angeles, will be doing a workshop in The Science Gallery on the techniques of hyperbolic crochet and talk about getting an Irish Crocheted Coral Reef together in Spring 2010."

OK, this sounds crazy, but even if you can only crochet a little, come along. The maths behind it is amazing, the crochet looks difficult but it's easy. The workshop is free, but booking is essential as places are limited. Simply go onto the Science Gallery website, click on GET TICKETS.
    http://www.sciencegallery.com/events

Interested?

Here's a few links to get the creative crochet going...
    The Institute of Figuring
    UK Crocheted Coral Reef on Flickr
    The Sydney Crocheted Coral Reef

Margaret Wertheim: The beautiful math that links coral, crochet and hyperbolic geometry
    http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/519

Advertisement